PEAX Equipment

Kansas , Wilson WA whitetail

Outofstate-r

Hey guys, this will be my first yr going to Kansas and a buddy and I put in for some special hunts. Somehow he drew a hunt (he or I have never won anything) that allows a buddy to go along (We already have the proper tags). It is for a refuge hunt inside the WA for the 6th-12th. I was just curious if anyone was familiar with the area and if it would be worth our while to spend a week hunting there?
Thanks

What type of hunt? It's a beautiful lake and most refuge hunts are pretty good. Let me know what you are hunting and maybe I can give you more info.

Incidental to the deer hunting, the lake is known for the striper/ white bass hybrid, a.k.a., wiper, and the upland trifecta of pheasant, bobwhites, and greater prairie chickens are all in the area.

I have pheasant hunted the refuge late season ,have seen some nice bucks here. Deffinately deercountry.

KDWPT website reporting record low pool elevation currently of nearly 10 feet below normal pool on the reservoir. The website has a brochure ( http://ksoutdoors.com/KDWPT-Info/Locations/Wildlife-Areas/Northwest/Wilson/Brochures/Brochure-Map ) and marry that with google earth satellite images and off you go scouting. As a reminder, no baiting is allowed on public land.

Like Southwind reported most of these refuge area "Special Hunts" can be pretty good. When I have taken advantage for waterfowl and turkey and not deer, I did have quality opportunity in the terms of land potential. As always, sometimes,the quarry doesn't get the memo about showing up for the hunter.

You listed the dates but not the month in your original post. I assume this is archery specific, and will be this month or next? I might suggest you get a turkey tag as well, but check with the area manager that this would be legal to also take a turkey off the refuge. In Kansas, deer habitat = turkey habitat.

Good luck !

Sorry guys, it's archery whitetail in November. I will definitely check on the turkey tag....thanks again.

Sorry guys, it's archery whitetail in November. I will definitely check on the turkey tag....thanks again.

Fall turkey zone 2 allows one permit and three additional tags. Most of the rest of Kansas allows only one permit.

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back