Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Just Starting Out

AZHUNTER/FISHER

I was thinking about going for varmit this year particulary Coyoties. I live in AZ and plan on getting a cassette tape and going out in the desert and playing it on my boom box. The only problem is I dont know where to start looking in AZ. I live in Mesa, any suggestions would be apprciated.
Thanks,

Justin

GO EAST HIT THE DESERT FIND A SPOT TO CALL IF NOTHING HAPPENS KEEP GOING TTO DIFFRENT AREAS YOU WILL FIND SOME

GOOD LUCK

Just the basics, as a quick start:

You already live in a coyote rich area. Just drive out of town far enough to get to an area you can legally ( and safely )shoot.

Set your boom box in a pile of brush, with the volume set to a little louder than you think a jackrabbit can scream. Hit the play button, then run 25 yards and sit down at another bush.

Be as quiet as possible going into your stand, push the car door closed just enough it won't fall back open, and pick a stand area you can see 100 yards in a half circle in front of you.

Coyotes prefer sandy ground to rocky.

Those three short paragraphs, will get the new predator hunter off to a good start, better than any long disertation on sounds,wind or coyote behavior Ive ever read on these boards.....well said Tim.
Brevity IS the soul of wit!....and good advice
smile.gif

Thanks a bunch all that responded. I have one more question which is what do you think the three best calls on a cassatte would be? And also was wondering if I should use a coyote locator call?
Thanks

You'll never go wrong with cottontail rabbit,jack rabbit and a bird distress of some kind. I like woodpecker, but there are other good ones. As for locators, those three different distress sounds should locate plenty of coyotes for you.

I'd also go w/ CD's instead of tapes. If your boombox only plays tapes, dub the CD's to tape from a home system. That way, when you want to upgrade to a CD or MP3 based e-caller, you'll still be in business.

As far as areas, you can head east of Gold Canyon and pick either side of US 60. Just remember, on the West side of 60, you can ONLY USE SHOTGUN OR RIMFIRE because it's in unit 39M. I'd hate to see you busted by officer friendly on your first stand...hehe..

My experience in getting started is, read all you can, then find a mentor to show you how to put it into action. The extra set of eyes will help you spot your successes better as well.

One of the first mistakes made with a electronic caller is over calling IE leaving it on to long and generally to loud to start out, a hurt animal will squeal off and on, so you need to try and mimmick the sound, placing your boom box out and letting it play may work, especially on the spring pups, but I will bet you'll be more disappointed than not, so dubb yourself a tape with breaks and volume changes and give it a try. but unfortunately when your learning which we all have done, you call wise more yotes than you see... but go for it!!h2m

P.S. to the last post, remember your not big game hunting, resist the urge to climb up to the high spot on the ridge, but rather hunker down on the back side and make them come over the top to you. if your pistioned so you can see for miles they will see you coming for miles also, use gullies and washes to your advantage..and let us know when you get your first one in good luck h2m

I disagree with the statement concerning "over calling?"....Ive been "over calling" for the last five or six years, and damned sorry I didn't quit "series" calling back when I started. It is my experience that a coyote or bobcat will respond more readily,and with less stuttering(stopping and looking) when using continuous as compared to series calling.I want that predator to hear the distress,become excited, and stay that way, from start to finish, not stop and ponder each time the calling stops. They have been called for decades using each method, everyone has their own testimony and holds to their particular dogma. Ive used each method,and am convinced the continuous calling method works better.

I agree with Bala, Stopping the call, suddenly changing volume or changing sounds are ways I've used for years to stop a running coyote for a shot.

If that coyote is on his way in, and I'm not ready to shoot him, I don't want him to stop running my way.

I use a remote control, when I start the tape, it plays just a little quieter than I think a rabbit can squeal. In five minutes, I ease it up to about an equal volume to a real rabbit, five minutes later, I ease it up again.

BalaPlata, I figured you knew to much for just the average predator caller, I think I know who you are now. Your name means Silver Bullet in Spanish and I only know what Ejido means ( common ground ) I don't know what Esqueda means. I figure you are somewhere close to Old Mexico, maybe New Mexico and Arizona, maybe all three. I think you may know someone I know that has a cattle ranch in southwestern NM. I think I had a beer with you at Bruce K place about 5 years ago, I'm I getting close?
biggrin.gif
I could be all wrong too lol.

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1">[ 08-27-2003 12:54: Message edited by: Danny Batastini ]</font>

I think it is important for a person starting out, to learn how to use the hand calls. Yes, it is nice to use the E-callers, and I think the two go hand in hand. What are you going to do if you drive for two hours and your batteries have gone south?

Also, you can work a coyote with a hand call or mouth diaphragm, where that is pretty difficult with an electronic. Another thing, if you know how to use the hand calls, you will know what a good recorded sound should sound like. Some of those recorded sounds are horrible.
biggrin.gif

Calling coyotes is easy, so don't make it difficult, but do make it fun.

Take care.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back