Just starting out, where to build points?

JFish

Hello all. I am from Pennsylvania and I’m planning my first trip out west to hunt Elk in 2020. I became interested in western hunting after coming across Fresh Tracks, Go Hunt and Meat Eater. I’m planning an OTC archery hunt and want to get my feet wet to start climbing up the learning curve. I’ve been lurking in the forum and searching old threads. My question is, where should I start building points in the mean time? I plan on hunting OTC hunts and every 4-5 years using points to put it for a better unit. I’m not the type to stack up and sit on points, I just want to build a few and burn them every couple of years. Are there certain states that this would be better suited for? Are there certain states that it would not be worth trying to save points unless you plan to save 20? Thanks for your help!

Building up a few points and burning them up every couple of years would definitely rule out NV. Although it seems every year some non-resident hunters draws a very good tag with few or no preference points by sheer luck.

Focusing on elk, deer and pronghorn.

Concur that WY and CO are places to build points since these are states where a new non-resident participant can draw some nice limted-entry tag hunts if are willing to apply for 10 - 20 years. What I mean by nice hunts is the number of tags is small enough will result in relatively low hunting pressure for the animals on public land in that game unit.

CO issues elk, deer and pronghorn to the highest point holders other than a few units though my understanding is a NR never gets those random tags. You will need to wait a few years as build points in order to draw a nice tag. You will never get to the front of the line on better units unless have 40 or more years to build points.

WY awards some tags in each unit in a random draw so other than some deer units that have very few tags then you can count on one or more tags being awarded randomly. Thus, you might draw the best tag in WY in the first year you apply. Your odds would be 1 in 400 for the primo tag so is slightly possible unlike CO. You should be able to use points to draw a nice pronghorn tag in 5-8 years, a nice deer tag in 10 - 15 years and a nice elk in 10- 15 years. Not primo, but nice.

NM does not have points and has some nice elk and pronghorn hunts. The mule deer and Coues whitetail deer hunts are not that impressive, imo. So, NM is a bit like WY where can have 1 in 400 odds in a random draw for a very good tag unless apply with outfitter in NM and then odds are around 3x better. You get multiple choices in NM and each is considered if your application is pulled.

AZ awards 5% of tags to NR based on applicants with most points. Then, while no tags are guaranteed to NR in a random draw, another 5% of tags can be drawn by NR in random draw. On a ten year horizon you could draw a pre-rut December Coues whitetail rifle hunt with points and an archery elk hunt with points.

NV and UT are worth considering. NV gives more ping pong balls in the hopper for each year you build points and all tags are awarded based on chance. UT has some random tags but not many for NR so I find NV a somewhat better option. In a ten-year span might very well not draw in NV nor UT.

ID allows you to apply for elk, deer and pronghorn and are randomly awarded though long odds on better hunts with no tags guaranteed for NR. Might not draw in a 10 year span.

MT is only worth considering if are willing to go hunt elk and/or deer that year whether draw a limited entry tag or not since you are being a general tag just to have a 1 in 50 chance to draw a limited entry tag. No tags are guaranteed for NR. You might not draw elk or deer limited entry tag in 10 year span. You can draw a pronghorn tag in 5 - 10 years.

If stumble into some discretionary windfall money then can jump to front of the line for some species in some states so can hunt every year in NM, CO, NV, ID, UT and OR to cobble together some elk, deer and pronghorn tags. States such as WY have special tags that are auctioned or awarded in raffle by non-profit groups. Also, if you are willing to pay to hunt on private in WY then can draw sooner using fewer points.

WA, OR, CA, TX, ND, SD hunt draws are not worth doing as a NR, imo.

Last edited:
Best thing to do really is look at each state as far as what you can draw, success rates, cost, etc. and then factor in a little more time to account for point creep, and decide if it's worth it to you.

I personally do points in AZ, CO, WY, SD, MT. I apply in AK and NM when a possible tag there suits my schedule. I don't participate in points for the big 3, the $$ just isn't there for me on those kind of odds.

I do think you have a good plan on trying to burn points every couple years. After a few years, you'll get a rotation of hunts figured out where you've always got options other than strictly OTC. I've enjoyed fantastic hunts in AZ, CO, MT, and WY on 0-3 point tags.

Point creep is real, lol. Wherever you decide, start now.

Everywhere you can afford to. I think it is worth it to buy everywhere and use some of the easier options to sate your thirst to hunt and keep adding in the "dream hunt" areas.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rifleman270
Back