Yeti GOBOX Collection

Just not my year....

ThunderNocked

Well my year - hunting wise - has just been destroyed.
I didn't hunt August Sheep because I was coaching football and my wife was gone the weekend I wanted to hunt.
August Caribou I was supposed to get out more but the timing never worked out more then one terrible day with my daughter who though wet enjoyed the time.
I was trying to hunt Moose locally but with my wife being gone and limited time off I didn't get more then 1 full day and a couple evenings.
I saved all my time off to go on a big October Caribou Hunt - which was cancelled because the group couldn't go and I wasn't going to travel to that area alone.
So instead I did a last minute revision and made a Mule Deer Hunt in Washington - which I just had to cancel because I ended up having to go the ER, and just had a surgery last night on a cyst in my groin/hip. I discovered a lump and after a series of doctor visits got it biopsied which unfortunately created an opportunity for it to become infected and sent me to ER/Surgery.

So now approaching winter Caribou and a very short window moose hunt I don't know how long I'll be sidelined. A very frustrating turn of events as far as hunting goes this year.
I'm still trying to figure out how to salvage my year.

And just to clarify - my work I only get 2 weeks of PTO a year and as a family of 5 i usually only get to use about 5 days for hunting - so I saved those all up for a big trip with a group of people I know. Oh well, figure out my recovery and try to get a last minute Caribou and Moose.

I may look at some winter Sitka Black Tail hunting too.

I feel this, man. I had a grand total of 0 days of big game hunting last year for a variety of reasons. It sucks, but that's life. Heal up and hit it hard next season!
I just talked to a nurse at 4 and it sounds like they plan on me healing up quicker then I was originally told but I’ll find out more Monday and then in 2 weeks when the staples come out.

That sucks. Hope you heal up fast and can get out after something. Are there any registration cow tags or anything up that way?

40mile bou?
Sitka Deer?
Kodiak goats?
40 mile Winter opens up 10/27 if I can ride my SnowGo.
Then there is a winter Moose hunt I already registered for.
I’m looking into Blacktail now too, don’t always to go to Kodiak but I don’t know what that means otherwise.

But I’ll definitely get out for what I can!

I’ve had a couple years like that, I feel your pain. Had a biopsy on my throat this year day before deer opener for my wife’s first deer tag. Tried to power through, but I just wasn’t right after that. Here’s to next year.

I had a year like that in 2019/20 I ended up in the ER two days before I left on a 22 day two state hunt. Pretty much shot the whole season. I did get to hunt four days laterbin the season but I was very weak and not that well. I can tell you last year 20/21 I had a full season and I never appreciated a season more in my 35 years of hunting. So, look forward to next season and I hope you can get more in.

thanks guys!
@turbobrick hope everything turned out good. I know my brother in law went septic because he had a cyst in his throat that nobody was taking seriously. Hope you are all good!

@Boarmaster wow that would be unbelievably frustrating! I feel your pain to some extent. I’m really trying to figure something out hopefully otherwise it will hopefully be a big year next year!

I feel you. I'm overseas this year so I'll miss the whole season. Best thing you can do is start planning for next season!

@ElkFever2 @3855WIN @Big Fin @SD_Prairie_Goat thanks guys. It was nice to get out and do that hunt, and even enjoyable to do it by myself. And since I was alone I tried the ol' Gutless Method even though it was freaking cold. Took me a little longer but I got it done.
I also found a set of nice beaver mittens that were lost - and got them returned to the owner who turns out to be a really cool local hunter and a guy who runs a PodCast up here. So cool to meet him as well.

Temps just dipped to -6 - hard on snow machines but I have one more Caribou Permit for this herd. Then I just heard from a buddy since I seem to be doing good that the archery only corridor may still have some Caribou in it and a General Moose Permit for the week of Thanksgiving with my bow here in the urban area. So I've got a couple more shots to put some more meat in the freezer. But winter is quickly coming to Alaska Interior finally.

Thanks again guys - I was pretty frustrated when I put up that original post. I love my family and obviously they are important and I want to prioritize them and have to stay healthy to enjoy the outdoors. Thanks for letting me vent and for sharing in this bounty. HuntTalk for the win.

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gowest23
Back