Caribou Gear Tarp

Just finished my hunt (England)

GilaMonster

Well, just completed my hunt north of London.
I dropped this European Red Stag on opening morning and the Reeves Muntjac buck the following morning.
The Red Stag scores 303 1/8 SCI and the Muntjac scores 17 14/16 SCI.
2_mestag1_1.jpg

2_mebuck1_1.jpg

This hunt was free and wild in no preserve or any enclosures of any kind. I am presently working in Iraq and flew over to make the hunt. I borrowed a nice little Sauer 202 Mannlicher chambered for 308Win. I used the same rifle with Sierra 165g Game Kings on both animals. The stag absorbed three shots into the boiler room at about 150 yards to put him down the Muntjack was shot at a run at just a tad over 300 yards. the bullet just went strait through it and he dropped like a hot potatoe. Didn't screw up the cape or anything in the process. I got extremely lucky on this hunt. Free ranging stags of this caliber are few and far between. This was the first mature stag I saw. Muntjacs seldom venture into the open during daylight hours and are extremely hard to hunt. I got really lucky when this guy chased a doe thorugh a small clearing. I had just enough time to lift the rifle and squeeze the trigger. I got lucky that he came out, I got lucky and actually hit the little bugger, and I also got lucky enough that he will make top 10 SCI book. It was just one of those hunts when luck was on my side for a change.

Awesome critters. Thats a great free range stag, nice symetrical crowns on him. Did the muntjac have a set of tusks?

Gila

I was in Germany only for a few months back in 98, but I remember hearing stories about how incredibly tough it was to have an opportunity to hunt there. All sorts of written and proficiency tests. Is England similar?

Congrats on those rare trophies.

Ovis said:
Gila

I was in Germany only for a few months back in 98, but I remember hearing stories about how incredibly tough it was to have an opportunity to hunt there. All sorts of written and proficiency tests. Is England similar?

Congrats on those rare trophies.
I didn't need to even purchase any kind of license or anything at all except for third party shooters insurance, which is only obtained by joining BASC, which is like their NRA. The way it was explained to me was something like this.... If I was using a guide's rifle I didn't need a firearm permit if I was accompanied by the guide at all times as he had the permit. I was also explained that i didn't need a license unless I hunted within the boundaries of a government hunting area. As long as I was hunting on private land, the animals belong to the landowner I am told. That's basically the way it was explained to me. I have no doubts the information was correct as we were in contact with the Game Keeper and other authorities as the hunt progressed.

TheTone said:
Awesome critters. Thats a great free range stag, nice symetrical crowns on him. Did the muntjac have a set of tusks?
One was broken as they fight a lot between themselves. I was told the males will often fight to the death to defend their territory. Here's a closeup of the head and you can see the one good tusk sticking out. You can also see how the ear on one side has been shredded.
Muntjac are often referred to as Barking Deer. They bark like a dog. When one starts barking, he can go on for a long, long time too. It will drive you crazy.
2_buck_2.jpg

Well, I figured everyone has seen Red Deer or pictures of them at least. The Muntjac isn't something you would see everyday and most folks have never heard of 'em...

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
muleydude
Back