Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Just a fun day of crappie fishin'

Great job Chukarman. Hoping to get out next Friday. Been building rods and Kokanee fishing. Time to put some crappie in the freezer. Are they in prespawn mode near shore? or further out still?

Great job Chukarman. Hoping to get out next Friday. Been building rods and Kokanee fishing. Time to put some crappie in the freezer. Are they in prespawn mode near shore? or further out still?
We caught mostly males and they were all in their dark spawing color. Even the white crappie males were almost black. Some still had milt sacks, some not so much. One bigger female that was leaking eggs and a smaller one that wasn't quite ready. Fairly close to shore but the best fishing was 15-20' deep. Water surface temp 58 early rising to 63 later in the day. Beings it was my first day out I really don't have a handle on the stage of the spawn. I think I'm fishing early next week so will know better after that. With the water temp rising I wouldn't wait too long.

We caught mostly males and they were all in their dark spawing color. Even the white crappie males were almost black. Some still had milt sacks, some not so much. One bigger female that was leaking eggs and a smaller one that wasn't quite ready. Fairly close to shore but the best fishing was 15-20' deep. Water surface temp 58 early rising to 63 later in the day. Beings it was my first day out I really don't have a handle on the stage of the spawn. I think I'm fishing early next week so will know better after that. With the water temp rising I wouldn't wait too long.
Are the water levels rising as well? Those poor fish can't catch a break when it comes to the water levels staying consistent enough for their eggs to hatch. They set their beds in five feet of water, only to have them 25 feet under in less then a week.

Yes, water is rising but not drastically yet. I don't understand why but I can walk across the Powder River at the house where usually I can't cross in a 4 wheeler until June. The unstable spring water levels have made for a boom or bust fishery, mostly bust in recent years. But still plenty of fish to catch.

I need to give the crappies a try this week, thanks for reminding me. Perfect way to spend some quality time with your Father.

Back