Yeti GOBOX Collection

Just a cool piece of mainstream media

The first time I saw a story presented like that I really didn't like it, but this one was very well done. I do wish each photo as you scrolled by had an in-depth caption.

Good stuff
e.png

Recheck the link. the next season/segment is live, click through to fall if you want to skip to the new content.

Interesting article. I am always impressed at the fortitude of those who run a small business (be it family farm or otherwise). And even though my grandfather farmed tough ground in ND, I never bought into the narrative that famers were more worthy than similarly hard working small business people whose livelihood can be as equally exhausting and tenuous. Not a criticism of farmers in anyway, but just saying many non-farming families have similar tales and seem to be forgotten by Hollywood and popular opinion.

I agree but at the same time I feel that family run farms are different, more american in a way. They colonized the country, creating the demand for which all the other professions relied on. To think someone so completely an american idea is going extinct resonates with people. Plumbers aren't going out of business but family farms are.

I agree but at the same time I feel that family run farms are different, more american in a way. They colonized the country, creating the demand for which all the other professions relied on. To think someone so completely an american idea is going extinct resonates with people. Plumbers aren't going out of business but family farms are.
I hear ya, not plumbers, but what about family businesses that ran local book stores in the early 2000s? Small town stores in the face of Walmart? Or family run furniture manufacturing companies in the 70s/80s? Lot of examples where a changing world devastated the lives of hard working American families and it happened almost without notice. I see the farmer plight, just think it’s just as heart braking in other walks of life, but I Sissy Spaceck doesn’t care ;)

I hear ya, not plumbers, but what about family businesses that ran local book stores in the early 2000s? Small town stores in the face of Walmart? Or family run furniture manufacturing companies in the 70s/80s? Lot of examples where a changing world devastated the lives of hard working American families and it happened almost without notice. I see the farmer plight, just think it’s just as heart braking in other walks of life, but I Sissy Spaceck doesn’t care ;)
All good points, but there were likely many tens to hundreds of farmers for each of those other professions. Thankfully I still live in a small town that has all them (if you count cabinets as furniture).

All good points, but there were likely many tens to hundreds of farmers for each of those other professions. Thankfully I still live in a small town that has all them (if you count cabinets as furniture).
I doubt actual family farm loss numbers in the last 30 years have exceeded those of other fields such as shops, light manufacturing, etc. Given that there are 10-15 times as many small businesses as there are family farms and given that recent estimates suggest 40% of small businesses at any one time are losing money and that annual failure rate is above 10% there is probably no way on a pure numbers basis family farm failures can exceed those of small business (i.e. family businesses). In contrast, I recently read one government report recently that actually showed a small increase in number of families involved in farming over the last 7 years. I feel for any hard working family on the edge, farmers included, but I believe nostalgia over played on this topic.

They colonized the country,
The early colonists were religious objectors who colonized to be able to worship in their own way - early colonists often lack basic ag skills and nearly starved to death. In the end, Hamilton won and Jefferson lost - American is a land of industry not agriculture. Again, I get the narrative, and every culture has one, I just think it is over done in this instance.

The early colonists were religious objectors who colonized to be able to worship in their own way - early colonists often lack basic ag skills and nearly starved to death. In the end, Hamilton won and Jefferson lost - American is a land of industry not agriculture. Again, I get the narrative, and every culture has one, I just think it is over done in this instance.
There are many lenses through which to view history. Mine are simply a different color.

If you stretch your scale from 30 years to 150 years the number change. I would argue we're nearing the absolute base of how far the # of farmers can fall. There will always be some in the business as there will always be a demand. Just as there will always be a demand for small main street stores, which, have been making a resurgence in the last 10 years, despite the overall small shop decline.

There are many lenses through which to view history. Mine are simply a different color.

If you stretch your scale from 30 years to 150 years the number change. I would argue we're nearing the absolute base of how far the # of farmers can fall. There will always be some in the business as there will always be a demand. Just as there will always be a demand for small main street stores, which, have been making a resurgence in the last 10 years, despite the overall small shop decline.
Yup, a complex story with many angles. On this we agree.

Check the link again. Winter is updated. Not sure how they can by done with it as winter has just started here.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back