Javier and I

dalbo

After 2 unsuccessful archery seasons I finally killed my first Javelina.

My friends and I hunted the same part of unit 20A as last year so we had a good idea where the "piggy" areas were.

I didn't have any problems finding pigs the first weekend but I did have a problem shooting them as I missed 3 shots in 3 days with my recurve bow. I told my friends they could call me "Miss Piggy" till I put my tag on one.

I put my pride away and brought my compound last weekend. After I arrived at our spot Saturday morning I hiked up the ridge behind camp and immediately glassed up a group of javelina feeding about 3/4 of a mile away. I put a quick plan together and took off after them.

They were feeding on an open finger on the side of a shallow draw. I was able to follow a gully in the bottom of the draw right up to them. I peaked out from behind the brush and ranged the closest pig at 30 yards, stepped out and made a great shot on him.

The pig bolted at impact, ran up the other side of the draw then made his way back to the bottom of the gully about 40 yards away and took his last breath.

I remembered to smile for this picture of Javier and I. It's not always easy to do when you are messing around with the self timer thing on the camera.

It was another fun hunt with good friends (even though I missed a shot at a 3x3 mulie after a 3 hour stalk Monday morning).

I can't wait to get my chorizo and breakfast sausage back from the butcher.

Attachments

• JavierNmeSM.JPG
    JavierNmeSM.JPG
    161.6 KB · Views: 211
I have my javi hunt at the end of Feb up in 20a. Hope I am as successful. Congrats

Ryan

Darn it Oldman, that recipe looks awesome I'll have to save it for future reference.

I told the butcher to sausagefy the whole thing.

I'm taking my brother out for the rifle javi hunt next month and I picked up an extra tag. If I get another one I'll be sure to pull the backstraps and try that recipe.

Good luck to everyone on the HAM and rifle hunts.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmarshall173
Back