MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Jan 24th sportsmens roundtable meeting in Fort Collins, 6:30 pm

grasshopper

We have some critical topics on the agenda for this months sportsmans roundtable meeting in Fort Collins including the new future generations bill that should hit the legislature soon. We are also going to discuss recent regulation changes and TURKEY HUNTING strategy/tactics. Hope we can fill the seats, your attendance is welcome and appreciated. January 24th, 6:30pm, Council Tree library off Harmony Road.

At some point in 2018, elections will be held for the sportsmen roundtable delegates, the public is welcome to apply. The term is for two years.

See the press release at the link for more details.

It is always (usually) enjoyable to meet and hang out with my hunting brothers, hope you can make it.

http://cpw.state.co.us/aboutus/Pages/News-Release-Details.aspx?NewsID=6375

Anybody go to the roundtable in Pueblo last night?

FireTiger and I will be at the one in FOCO tonight.

Thought about it, but then figured why bother, all they're gonna do is peddle they're fee increase they want so bad on hunting licenses so they can fix fish hatcheries and dams even though they made a $10+ million profit last year and are sitting on $17 million in cash not including the millions in unspent habitat stamp money.

I'll just keep after my state reps to vote no again.

Fee Increases

Well JL, you were certainly right about peddling the fee increase. Probably 45 minutes to an hour was spent on that. $8 license increase + annual CPI adjustment, App fees up to $7 increase (and up to $17 for NRs), $0.75 wildlife council increase, $8 senior fishing license ( instead of free ), $8 fishing license for 16&17 year olds, $5 increase on CO duck stamp.

I'm not totally against increases in prices in general, as I think there needs to be some hikes and the CPI should be incorporated just like the NR licenses, but I think they are asking for too much at once. My money is on they're going to fail in the legislature once again because of that. I just don't understand why they feel the need to increase every single license and fee at the same time. Pick one so you don't piss off everyone at the same time, then focus on another the next year.

I know its not going to be popular with seniors, but I don't get why seniors get a free ride. CPW loses federal funds because of this free license. Yes, I understand many are on a tight budget, but there is a separate program for a free license if you can show your income is low enough. An annual fishing license is already pretty cheap for a year's worth of entertainment. It just seems like one of those programs put in place by a select few to benefit that select few. IMO, the way to go is grandfather the date. If you have a free one now, you can continue to get one, but every year that minimum age increases. That way you don't take anything away from anyone that had it.

Similarly, the 16/17 cheap license to me is not going to make a dang difference. If a 16 y/o wants to fish, he already makes it happen.

As usual, the popular topic of "find someone to stick it to the other users" came up. Enforcement always was, and still is, the problem with this.

Edit: Oh, I forgot to mention. There were some questions asked about what the money from the fee increases would be spent on. They squirmed around that one like you wouldn't believe, saying things like, well we can't pick priorities until we know the budget. I'm generally supportive but that felt slimy. There wasn't enough time to pin that on them.

Habitat Stamp

There was a good discussion on this. The legislature put a hold on spending that money. It was not a CPW decision. There is a group in the legislature that is adamantly opposed to CPW spending the money on fee title acquisitions, which were included in some of the RFPs for the last budget, so they cut it off completely.

Something that pissed me off (at the legislature, not at CPW) that I had no idea about was the legislature denied several attempted gifted properties that would have provided sportsmen access, because they did not want that land to fall under state control. Similar reasoning behind the fee title acquisition, but FREE ... come on!

The hold will be lifted soon and new proposals will be accepted for review in the short future.

Rabbit Mountain Elk Hunt

So far, this has been a success. At least 24 elk have been taken right off the property proper, with at least 8 more on adjacent lands. This also dispersed the elk while the hunters were in hunting. Not one complaint has been registered. There are many properties along the front range that are looking to this program because they're running into stationary elk problems as well.

Recreational Shooting

This is mostly a Forest Service issue, but expect more closures along the front range due to human encroachment (note this is not a hunting closure, just target practice). Both the FS and CPW recognize people need somewhere to practice, and are looking to identify potential new locations for shooting ranges.

Draws

Surprisingly, no one complained about the new system increasing point creep. Perhaps because they know the app fee increase is coming, which will cut down on those "might as well put in" entrants.

One ancient guy asked for Point Banking saying it would reduce point creep. I wanted to beat him over the head, but I let it go.

Last edited:
Anybody go to the roundtable in Pueblo last night?

FireTiger and I will be at the one in FOCO tonight.

Thought about it, but then figured why bother, all they're gonna do is peddle they're fee increase they want so bad on hunting licenses so they can fix fish hatcheries and dams even though they made a $10+ million profit last year and are sitting on $17 million in cash not including the millions in unspent habitat stamp money.

I'll just keep after my state reps to vote no again.

^same here. I hit up the reps last time around, and will continue to do so.

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back