PEAX Equipment

ive found the cows, now what?

smitty661

In my scouting this year I have found an area that has lots of food, water and sits on a bench on top of a north facing timbered slope. Lots of sign around the water and I see cows and calves every time ive been in the area. this is in an area that's a 1.5 mile hike in. I know that this area will get some pressure during the season. Im thinking the bulls should show up as the rut starts gets closer. When should I expect the bulls to start showing up. If this area gets a decent amount of pressure will they still show up? I have the ability to hunt during the week so im hoping this will help. This is in Idaho panhandle area.

-Smitty

Right now, the bulls are still in their boys-only hangouts. They are busy stripping the velvet off of their antlers and pushing each other around, boys will be boys. In another week or so, the boys only club will disassemble with the older bulls leaving the group first. These older bulls should be showing up with your cows by the first few days of September. The remaining bulls will follow a few days to a week later.

Usually the cows will have already started to roam out of the area that you have located and are now roaming a circuit. The cow/calves will be running a route between areas that they know has the best feed. This routine will have them returning to your spot every few days up to a week depending on the size of the area they roam. The cow/calf roaming has been greatly increased with the appearance of wolves to the landscape. The older bulls will join these cow/calf groups and follow along with the younger bulls joining a bit later.

Hunting pressure will push the elk out of the area, but they will return as the herd will just bump to the next location on their route and continue their circular wondering.

My advise would be to learn as much of the area as possible and find the other areas on the elk's path to improve your odds of notching that tag.

Good Luck, and post up the photos if you are successful.

That's the opposite of my issue. I usually seem to find all the bulls and not the cows (and usually have a cow tag)... I would say that Mtnhunter1 gave you a pretty good answer, though.

Thanks! Season won’t open until the 6th but I will be in the area for deer the week leading up to it so I should get to observe a little more.

I thought the wolves killed all the elk in the Idaho panhandle? They must be visiting from MT. 😉

Seriously, I am mostly surprised that you see them there consistently. Elk tend to be wanderers. If the cows stay there, the bulls will find them. You could look to see where they might go if hunters blow them out. Good luck on the hunt 👍

MtnHunter1 has some great points. I have never had this issue, but on a resent Elk talk podcast Corey/Randy said that the bulls will usually be higher up than the cows.

Watch the wind!

The tag is only good for a cow for 5 days. I took some vacation during that time but I wont pass a shot at any legal elk. This is only my second year here and last year I was happy to get under 100 yards from a spike. Meat is my priority for elk this year.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stravic
Back