I’ve compromised my morals and my soul

Stocker

For many years I never even applied for firearm antelope tags in my home state of Nebraska because I enjoy archery hunting them so much. You can only possess 1 antelope tag per year, so you can apply to get a PP but I just figured Nebraska was gonna be my otc state and I’d get pp everywhere else. Every year, 3-4 buddies and I head out to the western part of the state crawling through prickly pears and losing arrows. 4 years ago I started to apply with no chance to draw just to get points in case something happened and we didn’t make our annual trip.

Fast forward to a month ago, my buddies all backed out for this year. So I was kinda planning on just going alone until I remembered my antelope PP while applying for my Nebraska elk tag. As I’m scrolling through there is a few units that I had 100% chance to draw. Some smaller units that I haven’t spent much time in or seen many antelope in. The other was a muzzleloader tag that covers the entire state except the very NW corner (where the highest density of antelope are).

So against my better judgement and against everything I believe and stand for I applied for the MZL tag. With my points it’s an alleged 100% draw. If by chance I do not draw the tag I will view it as a sign from GOD and I will not dance with the demonic powers of muzzleloaders ever again.

If I do happen to draw I’ll post a comedic-tragedy write up on the mis-fires, mishaps, tears, and general frustration of using a muzzleloader.

You poor fella, hang in there:) and good luck.

Looking forward to the story.

I like it, but in full honesty, I also crack up watching those videos of kids falling on their face. So take it with a grain of salt.

Oh, this will be way funnier than that. It’ll be like watching a plane in a tailspin barreling towards a runaway train that’s on fire carrying toxic chemicals.

For many years I never even applied for firearm antelope tags in my home state of Nebraska because I enjoy archery hunting them so much. You can only possess 1 antelope tag per year, so you can apply to get a PP but I just figured Nebraska was gonna be my otc state and I’d get pp everywhere else. Every year, 3-4 buddies and I head out to the western part of the state crawling through prickly pears and losing arrows. 4 years ago I started to apply with no chance to draw just to get points in case something happened and we didn’t make our annual trip.

Fast forward to a month ago, my buddies all backed out for this year. So I was kinda planning on just going alone until I remembered my antelope PP while applying for my Nebraska elk tag. As I’m scrolling through there is a few units that I had 100% chance to draw. Some smaller units that I haven’t spent much time in or seen many antelope in. The other was a muzzleloader tag that covers the entire state except the very NW corner (where the highest density of antelope are).

So against my better judgement and against everything I believe and stand for I applied for the MZL tag. With my points it’s an alleged 100% draw. If by chance I do not draw the tag I will view it as a sign from GOD and I will not dance with the demonic powers of muzzleloaders ever again.

If I do happen to draw I’ll post a comedic-tragedy write up on the mis-fires, mishaps, tears, and general frustration of using a muzzleloader.
I have killed a variety of species with a variety of weapons and enjoy all of it. From whitetail at 11 yards with a recurve to antelope and mule deer at 400+ yards with high powered rifle. I like all of it.
Recurve
Compound
Crossbow
Muzzleloader (been a long time)
Rifle
Handgun is only gun I haven't hunted with. Hmmm, hey that gives me an idea.
Enjoy your ML hunt and don't let it get in the way of feeling good about your hunt.

I’ve almost put in for a few muzzle loader hunts though I’ve never even shot a muzzle loader. 😅

Draw odds are too damn good….

After reading the title of the thread I thought you were surely apologizing for living in Nebraska and moving east to Iowa….but it’s even better! You’ve come to the dark side and started using the devils gun. Good luck, I’ll follow along!

I have killed a variety of species with a variety of weapons and enjoy all of it. From whitetail at 11 yards with a recurve to antelope and mule deer at 400+ yards with high powered rifle. I like all of it.
Recurve
Compound
Crossbow
Muzzleloader (been a long time)
Rifle
Handgun is only gun I haven't hunted with. Hmmm, hey that gives me an idea.
Enjoy your ML hunt and don't let it get in the way of feeling good about your hunt.
Someone needs a longbow; and a nice revolver ;)

Man you have been hanging around with too many tradbow shooters. They will make you feel guilty if you hit your target on the first shot consistently.

Go hunt the living hell out of those speed goats and use all your archery frustration to get within sniffing distance of that bugger and put a quarter sized hole through him. Then invite all your archery buddies over for a barbacue so they can finally taste what wild game meat tastes like.

I can take some ribbing from my archery buddies and I can give it back, but the Trad bow shooters are insufferable sometimes!

Good choice on the tag. I was up in the Chadron/Crawford area last year and the antelope were nowhere to be found. They must have had some bad winters as things were unusual compared to when I lived there.

5BE796F9-422A-470C-BAA9-0001341879AB.jpeg
So I drew the Speedgoat tag along with the bonus elk tag. Absolutely pumped and gonna have a busy September. Archery elk starts September 1st. My wife’s mom drew a bull tag for the same unit as mine, and my sister in law drew a cow tag for that unit. So that’s priority number 1. Antelope muzzleloader season starts September 17th. So depending on how my initial elk hunt goes that’ll vary how much time I have to find a bigger antelope. Of all the years and my travels in the state I’d guess the biggest one I’ve seen is low 80’s. There are definitely some bigger but not many. I’d be extremely happy with one in the 75” range but if I’m running ragged trying to kill an elk a lower 70’s may fit the bill. Either way it’s gonna be a blast and I’m truly blessed to get both tags this year. (Even if I gotta use a smoke pole on one).

You know what………… legally I could kill a bull with my muzzleloader after Sept. 21st…………… NAH! 🤣

Sorry Colorado but no getting my OTC money this year.

If hunting with a muzzleloader bugs you that much why not just take your bow?
Is it legal there to use a bow during MZL season?
Most places I know of you can use a bow during firearm season.

If hunting with a muzzleloader bugs you that much why not just take your bow?
Is it legal there to use a bow during MZL season?
Most places I know of you can use a bow during firearm season.
It doesn’t, I just like to tease guys that like them. I’ve had a few muzzleloader heart breaks over the years so it’s better to blame them than my poor hunting skills.

It doesn’t, I just like to tease guys that like them. I’ve had a few muzzleloader heart breaks over the years so it’s better to blame them than my poor hunting skills.
We'll get after it with the smoke pole and post pics.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back