I've been living under a rock, caliber/rifle inquiry

Bsquad

The backstory:
My old 700 30-06 won't hold a zero anymore and it's time to get a new rifle.
When looking for a replacement, I've been looking for a 30-06, plain color synthetic stock, some kind of accuracy guarantee from the mfg, sub $1k.

What I've encountered is, the 30-06 isn't supported like it used to be, stocks that look like children's artwork, some recommendations for $1500-2500 rifles (the financial manager isn't going to approve that).

Ammo price/availability are pretty important, I don't reload either. I already have a 300 RUM and 375 H&H, something for deer and smaller is what I'm looking for. My own research points to Tikka, bergara, or Weatherby in 6.5 CM, 270, or 308.

Pardon the rant, it's been about 12 years since I've purchased a gun. Any input or criticism is welcomed.

I'd start with fixing why your 700 won't hold zero. Is it scope/base related or is your barrel toasted. If it's barrel, much more economical to rebarrel than to get a new rifle.

But if you're aim is to get a new gun, probably won't find much for an accuracy guarantee for sub $1k. I hear Tikka's shoot very well, but don't have one myself (yet.)

I've been very happy with my Tikka 30-06. I have the old version T3 in synthetic/stainless. I've handled the new T3x stock and like it too.

I'd start with fixing why your 700 won't hold zero. Is it scope/base related or is your barrel toasted. If it's barrel, much more economical to rebarrel than to get a new rifle.

But if you're aim is to get a new gun, probably won't find much for an accuracy guarantee for sub $1k. I hear Tikka's shoot very well, but don't have one myself (yet.)
That was a thought às well. The hurdle is that it's 20+ years old and only cost $250-300 new, apparently it's never held zero very well according to my dad, 15 year old me apparently didn't care or know any better.

That was a thought às well. The hurdle is that it's 20+ years old and only cost $250-300 new, apparently it's never held zero very well according to my dad, 15 year old me apparently didn't care or know any better.
If it were me...I'd try cleaning that 700 really well with some copper solvent.

Then I would remount the scope with quality rings/bases, float/bed, try a couple different brands and weights of ammo and see what happens before I bought another rifle.

In a worse case scenario I'd send my action to pacnor and have them install a new barrel.

My brother has a weatherby vanguard in ‘06 that is nice. He’s shot two dozen critters with it and I have borrowed it to shoot a couple more. I hear nothing but good things about the Tikkas. I would throw Savage in as well. I have three savage shotguns with a rifle on the way. They aren’t beautiful but they are sturdy, reliable and a great value. The 20 ga slug gun I have is shockingly accurate. 1” groups at 100yds. They have a reputation for being good shooters.

It has new rings, bases, and a VX3 4.5-14 mounted. Being that it's older than 2 decades and it was a budget rifle to begin with, sinking any money into it feels like a lost cause.

However, @BuzzH @Backofbeyond what's the cost for a rebarrel?

Sold my Weatherby Vanguard and replaced it with a Tikka T3x 6.5 creedmoor. Lighter, better looking and I'd argue more reliable.

Have you checked the action screws and the bedding? That’s where I would start.
Just when I convinced the wife I need a new gun, ya gotta go and be all reasonable. But, you do make a valid point. I'd rather dump $1k into tags than a gun.

It has new rings, bases, and a VX3 4.5-14 mounted. Being that it's older than 2 decades and it was a budget rifle to begin with, sinking any money into it feels like a lost cause.

However, @BuzzH @Backofbeyond what's the cost for a rebarrel?
Depends on the barrel you want. You can probably get it done by a smith for as low as 500 (wilson or mcgowen) and up to 1100 (proof carbon barrel) and you can get whatever chambering you want.

I've been around a lot of 700s and I've yet to experience one that won't shoot. Check the things mentioned above and I bet you'll figure it out and be good to go again
You guys are probably right. Ironically, my brother has an identical one bought at the same time as mine. This is what I shot from his. PXL_20221006_185316132.jpg So it's probably accuracy jealousy.

Depends on the barrel you want. You can probably get it done by a smith for as low as 500 (wilson or mcgowen) and up to 1100 (proof carbon barrel) and you can get whatever chambering you want.
Any chambering appropriate for a stand length action and the current bolt face.

The better part is being able to throat, twist, any way you want with a new a barrel.

Any chambering appropriate for a stand length action and the current bolt face.

The better part is being able to throat, twist, any way you want with a new a barrel.
Thanks for the addition. I meant to include that.

ALTHOUGH he could make bolt modifications and open it up to a magnum as well, and it being a rem 700 he can chamber big ol magnums if he so wanted to.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
muleydude
Back