It's over

I just took the CZ for a walk Saturday and found 4 that wanted to donate themselves to the skillet. Sure had a great time lots of good memories on grandpa's old home place. That rifle you have is something special.
I just picked up a beautiful Anschutz 1614 but it may just be to pretty to carry in the briars.

I'll predict two thing
Season closes on the 15th here in Illinois. These are probably my last 3 of the year. I think I’m gonna try the meateater crescent roll ups with these ones.
View attachment 127723

I will predict 2 things. The first is that most of those squirrels are female.

The second is easier. They will taste really good in that recipe.

Congratulations!

I'll predict two thing

I will predict 2 things. The first is that most of those squirrels are female.

The second is easier. They will taste really good in that recipe.

Congratulations!

Yep, 2 females, 1 male. Last weekend all 3 were female.

Do they get more vocal this time of year?
I found the 2 females today because they were making a racket barking, clucking, mumbling or whatever you’d call it.

Yep, 2 females, 1 male. Last weekend all 3 were female.

Do they get more vocal this time of year?
I found the 2 females today because they were making a racket barking, clucking, mumbling or whatever you’d call it.

I don't really know what's going on, but the three I shot on the 31st were all female, pregnant and with good sized pups. So I'm thinking they are foraging a bit harder getting prepped for birthing and lactating. And thus hunters are getting a second, smaller burst of activity. Males are pretty much just sleepin' and watching basketball or bad westerns in their tree cavities :)

what thusby saw, I don't now. You were in the snow, so closer to me and probably a Christmas mating season like in my area. Don't know where thusby is. Maybe down south? I'm just trying to tie together a few loose strings and I'm probably way out to lunch on this.

Good ending to the season. Our regular season ends at the end of the month. We have a spring squirrel season in May, which is normally not a comfortable time to be in the woods in Louisiana, but I'll probably get out this year.

My goal is for my pup to tree one and kill it for her before the season ends. I would have given up everything I had in the freezer for her to just look up and see one that was going up the tree yesterday.

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jahmes143
Back