It’s not just corner hopping…

ODarrow

Active member
Joined
Sep 2, 2026
Messages
42
See that strip right down the center of this parcel of public land? It’s a railroad track that the Galts at 71 Ranch purchased so the public can’t access the river bottom.

Helicopter in river bottom hunt anyone?

46.45241, -110.3546

IMG_1256.jpeg
 
As much as id like to grab the pitchforks for anything the galts do - isnt that still acessible via the north side?
Nope, the Bair ranch block management doesn’t allow crossing into the public land from their property. I managed the block managements around White sulfur for a season and it sounds like Bair ranch could care less but adjacent land owners had their way.
 
Wow. Gross. Nothing suprises me from that family, ive got good reasons to believe they are behind the new land board policy on landswaps.

It'll be all quiet here though unfortunately, theres a lot of fans of a certain lobbyist thats employed by a fake conservation org, chartered by a member of that family, thats done a lot of lobbying, and not much for "conservation"
 
Wow. Gross. Nothing suprises me from that family, ive got good reasons to believe they are behind the new land board policy on landswaps.

It'll be all quiet here though unfortunately, theres a lot of fans of a certain lobbyist thats employed by a fake conservation org, chartered by a member of that family, thats done a lot of lobbying, and not much for "conservation"
I’ve seen episodes of Yellowstone. This is fine. 😆

I think this has been standard operating procedure in Montana for a long time. If Montanans showed as much rage at this as they did for NRs, maybe it would change.
 
Maybe someone can pole vault across the railroad? I was there several years ago. It was a long walk across BMA pasture to watch a few whitetail does, didn't feel like sitting and waiting for possible bucks to come to the BMA from the river bottom. And ranch employees drove in and hunted the river bottom that was not accessible for walk in access.
 
Nope, the Bair ranch block management doesn’t allow crossing into the public land from their property. I managed the block managements around White sulfur for a season and it sounds like Bair ranch could care less but adjacent land owners had their way.
Interesting - thats a powerline not a RR.

Ive got no idea, and only questions, why an easement through the state property (retains state ownership) wasnt done in lieu of it getting into private hands with the sole purpose of restricting access.
 
Type 2 BMA might as well be a no-trespassing sign in my experience
The Bair Ranch is actually pretty good but I get that. It is a pain to have to go to the ranch headquarters at a specific time but they usually let you hunt for a week with one ranch check in. There are a few block managements along the bitterroot that have raffles for weeklong time slot to hunt which I think is pretty dumb. Either do or don’t. I don’t really understand what they gain out of that…saying that they’re open to the public perhaps? Don’t they make money per hunter visit?
 
I feel like there needs to be some land swaps to make more contiguous land. I don't know if the landowners would agree or not.

I find it pretty frustrating, and I doubt I'm the only one, to have lots of public land with no way to get to it.
 
Interesting - thats a powerline not a rr

Interesting - thats a powerline not a RR.

Ive got no idea, and only questions, why an easement through the state property (retains state ownership) wasnt done in lieu of it getting into private hands with the

Just have to park at the hwy and come through this way. Who is going to be the sacrificial lamb?

View attachment 418259
Would be worth it! Lots of big deer down there…. Maybe kick off a corner crossing debate in Montana. I’d fund that
 
Would be worth it! Lots of big deer down there…. Maybe kick off a corner crossing debate in Montana. I’d fund that

Itd spice the existing one up a bit 😁. I would also fund it.
 
I don’t mean to change the subject but there’s a very similar situation in the Judith River WMA. Mining company owns a strip literally only 8-10 yards wide making 1700 acres of Wildlife Management Area completely inaccessible. Used to be kind of a grey area, but the new FWP map has it specifically labeled as “inaccessible WMA”
 

Attachments

  • IMG_7390.png
    IMG_7390.png
    379.6 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_7391.png
    IMG_7391.png
    247.1 KB · Views: 5

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
120,094
Messages
2,249,556
Members
39,092
Latest member
jgarren
Back
Top