Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Its about that time we start planning

Delw

Another texas trip isnt it?

would be fun to get a group of guys together again like we did a few years ago.

Delw

That would actually be kick a$$ !!!!!!!!!!

What timeframe u looking at ? Spring is Turkey and bear around here so thats tuff... and summer in Texas doesn't sound any fun :p

I was just thinking maybe we need to plan something ,

Dont care when it is, anytime is nice.

Delw

SJ had a real good deal for groups of at least 10 last year on hogs. I don't know if he still has it? Hopefully, he'll spot the thread soon. Some places in south Texas would have hogs and javelina and other stuff, for those who wanted it. The full moon and the night hunting is a very smart way to do it.

Not hunting in Texas in the summer, geeze. Its like saying the mountains are too high, the snow is too slippery, good points but geeze. All you have to do is drink a little more water and gatorade and walk a little slower, maybe squirt yourself with a little water and get some evaporative cooling going, plus, watch for snakes. At night its cooler for hogs, if that's the hunt.

Jan. is quail, ducks, and geese too. That's getting complicated to do all of that though.

...pistol and muzzleloader, they are all legal all year long with landowner permission. Some places are archery only, but why restrict it, if people have to travel far.

We did good at the ram place last time, like 18 for 20, but some got multiple animals and that put it over 100%. Then a few of us went to your archery place you advocated and all we got was a rabbit and armadillo and you didn't show up to complain too. Some excuse like Desert Storm or something, you had to work. You better bring some good beer this time, if you go!

Actually I had hogs and turkeys near me at the place you suggested Danr, I just went back and forth to town and the airport more than I hunted there. One day I took one person to the airport, another day I took someone to town, then the third day I took some gear someone forgot to the airport. I was the local taxi. If I had hunted instead of travelled back and forth so much, I would have done better there I'm sure. That was a good bow place.

We should coordinate those return trips, if I do that again, so I just make one trip. I enjoyed it, but a little coordination might make that part better for me. I just shouldn't do it, unless its the end of the hunt, that's the solution probably.

T Bone said:
I'm interested in a meat hunt for pigs. Interested in a place that is DIY, with a roof overhead. Feb-March timeframe. Not interested in any of the exotic deer/goat critters.

I've read and heard good things about http://www.sportsmansjunction.com/hog_hunts.htm#texas_hog_hunts

Still have this hunt available. DIY hunt with a place to skin, lodging included. 3,000 acres, some stands set and feeders going or spot and stalk it is up to you, any legal weapon, no limit on hogs. This hunt is about 20 miles south of Lubbock. The last 3 that hunted there said they seen a lot of hogs after they got them figured out. It is a DIY so probably should book it for at least 3 days but can be booked for minimum of 2 if you'd like.

I can probably still get the hog/javelina hunt too but it is bow or ML only.

These pictures illustrate some hog behavior of interest.

In the daylight are a bunch of small to medium ones. In the middle of the night is the big loan boar. These pictures are at the same location a few days apart though. Digital cameras are pretty neat.

Attachments

• daytimehogs.jpg
    daytimehogs.jpg
    266.1 KB · Views: 126
  • nighttimehog.jpg
    nighttimehog.jpg
    186.6 KB · Views: 127
Now that's funny...

I think that little brown one in the top picture looks tasty. Probably make SCI too, eh?

Don't be blind, here's the point again.

In the daylight are a bunch of small to medium ones. In the middle of the night is the big loan boar.

Back