Caribou Gear

Ithaca--7/ Golden Eagle--1

Ithaca 37

Tried a new chukar place today and hit the jackpot! Got seven chukars in about an hour and a half and decided to head back to the truck and go look for some quail. I figured I'd get one more chukar on the way back for my limit of eight and sure enough, Scout got birdy and I got ready for some action. She pointed and it was a single, I only winged it and it sailed down the hill and crash landed about a hundred yards below us. We started down after it but before we got half way to the bird a Golden Eagle swooped down and beat us to it! The eagle flew off with the chukar in it's talons and I decided that counted for my limit. Looked for some quail but couldn't find them. I think the snow moved them down the mountain. Saw two coyotes and about a 26 inch mulie. He was a big bodied old buck all by himself. There's a lot of good chukar hunting in this new spot. No sign anybody else has hunted it for years.

Cool! While out and about in sagegrouse country I keep wanting to see a Goldgen catch one of those C-130's!

Ithaca, you make me drool with you stories of chukar hunting. Your story reminds me of the time I was dove hunting out here Az. I stoned a dove, he went down in a field about 40 yards out and I thought I had marked him well enough to retrieve him. I spent 10/15 minutes looking for him and I couldn't find him. I went back to were I had been shooting from and I see this hawk start to circle in the general area my dove went down. He kept getting lower and lower, pretty soon he was just off the ground. I fired a shot, to scare him off, it wasn't anywhere near him, and it works. I go back out to the area he was working and I find my dove. It was pretty cool. I have also lost a few dove through the years to birds of prey as well. Good Luck on the chukars and keep posting your stories. JLG.

Back