Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

It Has Begun!!!

Nightwolf

It Has Begun!!! Bears On The Bait

We have a couple of bears as far as pics shows. One looks to be a 2 to 3 year depending on the angle he is in the pictures. The other is a mature bear, and for now our intended target. Hopefully these bears will bring some buddies around so we have a better selection. The big bear isn't coming into till around 1 am the other guys seems to be around at all times side for when the big guy is around. We are planning on spice up life a bit tonight and will be adding some sow in heat scent to the area when we hunt tonight. We are planning our 8 hour shift in the stand for tonight. Wish us luck guys.

Attachments

• medium.JPG
    medium.JPG
    187.5 KB · Views: 479
  • big bear 2.JPG
    big bear 2.JPG
    183.4 KB · Views: 474
  • big bear 3.JPG
    big bear 3.JPG
    181.9 KB · Views: 457
We hunted the stand till around 0130 Tuesday night. We got busted right off the bat by the Big boar shown in the pics. He was even bigger up close, going over 6 foot easy. My partner didn't get a clear shot for more then a second before he caught our sent off of the trail we took in. I admit we were a little careless with the scent control. I think it may also be in part due to the fact that I took someone else into the area this time rather then it just being me to freshen the bait a bit. But as we always say they don't get that big being stupid. We also don't get then when we are being stupid:eek: . So we are going back in there tonight. I will be layering the whole place with my vanilla/anise mixture spray. Plus some jelly donut filling:D . I will post more trail camera pictures when I get them from the camera tonight being it’s still there and not bear fecal matter.:eek:

-Ovis
We are north of A-town. Just down Point Mackenzie road about 30 minutes from my house on KGB (Knik Goose Bay rd). Hey I bought a boat by the way like the one we took out of Valdez for bear. Bigger motor thought it's a 115!! So when you coming to go fishing??? You know your always welcome to hunt or fish with me.:)

I'm missing out on the Red Flag Alaska TDY at the end of the month. I'll be up late August. I drew a Delta tag for sheep. Hope to get some silver fishing in while there.

Good luck with the bears. Be safe on the water. Take lots of pics.

Jim

Ovis, you gonna be at Eielson?

Yah...I'll be picking up a raft on the way up to Delta and then dropping it off on the way back to Anchorage. Hopefully I will be dropping a ram off in North Pole too. :D

If you have a chance, PM me before your trip. Maybe we can meet and say hello. Come sit out on my porch and throw one or two back.

Brown bear on the bait!!!

these are a couple of brownies that have come to visit. People believe that because there are brown bear or grizz in the area that the black bear will leave. thye are wrong. Istill have 2 big blackies (over 6') coming in. Plus a little one (under 4 feet) as well as a 5 footer.

Attachments

• BB (4).JPG
    BB (4).JPG
    208.1 KB · Views: 330
  • BB (65).JPG
    BB (65).JPG
    177.1 KB · Views: 321
  • BB (22).JPG
    BB (22).JPG
    213.6 KB · Views: 315
big black bear

This is another big blackie we have coming in. we are having problems however because they are very smart and they smell us every time we are there. We have been playing the wind and using scent lock suits and everything. It's is defiantly a challenge!!

Attachments

• Big20 (23).JPG
    Big20 (23).JPG
    183.7 KB · Views: 309
  • Big20 (3).JPG
    Big20 (3).JPG
    240 KB · Views: 304
  • Big20 (21).JPG
    Big20 (21).JPG
    176.5 KB · Views: 300
Sweet pics. I've never seen pics of grizz hitting feeders like that. Damn, they're big.

Cool pics. That black bear is a slug!

I've heard that the blacks don't come in once the browns start hitting, because the browns will clean up the bait piles? All that baiting sure seems like a lot of work.

Yeah they clean up the bait pile but so does having 18 different black bears coming in, especially if of them is a dang sow with cubs! It may be a lot of work but IMO you get a better chance at selecting a good bear. It's the closest thing we got to deer hunting were you see a lot of animals in one spot. We head to whitter this weekend in my boat to try for a monster blackie off the coast. Then whoever didn't get lucky will get a crack at the big black bears at the bait.

We are off to Whittier for Bears and Halibut. I will send pictures when i get back. wish us luck. when i return i will be taking my wife to be to go kill one of those big black bears off the bait. Hopefully!!

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ak2021
Back