Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

It aint easy" La Caza De Lobo"

Coyotes-R-Us

:hump:
Three AM. we're loaded and fueled , sled on the trailer and all the gear for a three day wolf hunt.
Lets back up a little.
The boys wife My D-I-L had been talking with her dad and he happened to mention, that they had some relation on the other side of the Rockies with some land near forest service land. They where shirt tail but related. She thought what the heck, I'll give them a call.
Turns out they where very receptive to having us come over and give it a try. This year they have lost ten cows to wolf and had shot a few and seen many more. A little farther communications for directions and permission form the others, in there land co-op and here we go. Three AM. on the road and hoping the forecasted snow would miss us or at least be delayed. The weather did slow the progress , but we are headed to the extreme North Western corner of MT, A LONG ,LONG way. At 8:30 we stopped for more gas. By 10:00 we met up with our voice on the phone.
WHAT a great guy. He traveled a half hour and set for an hour, along side a snowy road to meet some long lost great second cousin he had never seen before.
We did at least have a 1/2 gallon of royal crown and a warm hand shake for the guy.
He showed us around "The Place" about 10 miles in with and may be 15 long, This wasn't the main ranch .
He also let us set our tent up under a huge roof that also covered a large stack of hey and two 5th wheel horse trailers. Our wall tent fit well with in its cover. There was lights and electricity to plug in to. As well as gave us FREE rain to the entire place. He said if we can get the snowmobile to it we could go ANYWERE. WOW. He then proceeded to tell us where he had been seeing wolf.
The only other people in the area was some cat hunters in the forest land, driving and looking for cat tracks. The cat hunters are very leery to just let there hound loss , some times they will get on to wolf tracks in the course of there chase and run right in to cretin doom. They have lose Many hounds to wolf.

101_0658_zps44b6f26c.jpg

101_0683_zps1165b7a0.jpg

The snow by now was gentle But steady, It had dumped 8" this morning. A plus on that side of the world the wind seldom blows. Our poor little snowmobile is just a one seater and a short track not idle for two on the machine and a 160 pound old man in a 6 foot pelican sled in a foot of fresh snow over ice. It would get stuck every time we stopped to call but if every one jumped on as it was moving it would stay afloat with the throttle ad full boor.

We hunter hard that afternoon. We cut a lot of older wolf tracks but just could not conger up a wolf.. That night when we got back to camp in the dark we had to run off a flock of turkeys, three barn cats and later a pesky raccoon. All trying to make out tent there new home.

101_0681_zpsfd6bb7f3.jpg

101_0675_zps7971b838.jpg

The boy started to complain of an eye irritation that he contributed to horse hair , he does have a bit of allergy to them.
Morning came very fast after some hot chilly and smoked sausages.
My son now was very sure that it was much worse then an allergy to horse hair. His throat was inflamed and hurt all over but wanted to try some more sets. Seven perfect sets and seven dig outs to move the sled and he was at the end of his endurance. He was ready to call it quits. Bummer.

101_0669_zps01ec5b6e.jpg

101_0667_zpsd59dced9.jpg

101_0660_zps2f6b6f13.jpg

101_0661_zpsb8af4ee9.jpg

I took days off for the hunt and we all invested a LOT of time and cash for the seven hour drive to get to some of the most promising wolf country we had ever had an opportunity to hunt.
He was crushed . Stuff just happens man, we headed back to camp, by the time we got there he was very ill. His wife gave him what cold meds we had and put him on the cot rapped in his sleeping bag. I tried to get him to stay the rest of the night and leave in the morning. But instead we pack up the camp and rolled him in to the back seat. As it turned out it was a better plan to leave. The snow had not let up since we got there and now it was well over two feet of new snow and we herd it was snowing in town too. I Was No looking forward to a seven or eight hour drive back in the dark but no choice.
I got them home at 12:30 that night.
Helped him in to the house and started to unload anything that may freeze when his wife came out and said , I quote " The G** D** furnace is out" What ? Some time when we where gone the mother board fried. One in the morning a nine hour drive , and a very sick kid and the furnace is OUT ! She called a repair man who came out very fast and even had the part on the truck. Many hundreds of dollars later by three I was at home trying to snuggle up to the wife who was having nothing to with that !!!!

All In all a marvelous trip , just can't wait for the next...
Really it was good , the boy is repairing in bed, the D-I-L my wife got all the stuff un loaded and stowed today. The D-I-L called here Relative and told what had happened and he invited us back as may times as we want.
It's all good
Just not easy.:eek:

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JMD
Back