Caribou Gear Tarp

ISO The Ever Elusive Perfect Venison Jerky Recipe

how do you guys know when the jerky is done? I think this is my biggest problem, I tend to over dry it, would love to get the consistency of professional made stuff.
I did just buy a Hi Mountain jerky cutting board to help get consistent thicknesses all around vs eye balling it with my fillet knife
I usually grab a piece and bend it. If it bends easily without cracks and smells very meaty, it needs longer.
I usually pull it once the meat is no longer spongy, cracks when bent and does not smell like raw meat

Not homemade, but I really like the Hi-Mountain Hunters Blend. If you don't want the nitrates/nitrites, just don't add the cure.
What exactly does the cure do? And if you don’t put it in, what happens to the meat? Does it spoil quicker?

I’d like to get away from nitrates as well. We eat a ton of salami already!

What exactly does the cure do? And if you don’t put it in, what happens to the meat? Does it spoil quicker?

I’d like to get away from nitrates as well. We eat a ton of salami already!
The cure helps prevent bacteria growth which results in longer shelf life. Not adding the cure reduces shelf life, and you should probable store it in the fridge.

This is a copy and paste but it it THE BEST I have found. It says for 1 pound, but I get at least 2 pounds of meat to work.​

Jerky Lover's Jerky - Sweet, Hot and Spicy!​

• 1 tablespoon onion powder

• 1 tablespoon garlic powder
    local-offers-tag.png
  • 2 teaspoons cracked black pepper, or to taste

• 1 pound lean beef sirloin tip, sliced into 1/8 inch strips

• ½ cup brown sugar

• ⅔ cup soy sauce
    local-offers-tag.png
  • ¼ cup teriyaki sauce

• ¼ cup Worcestershire sauce

• ⅓ cup balsamic vinegar

• liquid smoke flavoring (to taste, if LEM brand use a LOT less than the other Liquid smoke brands)

• ½ cup pineapple juice

• 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes, or to taste (Optional)
  • In a small bowl or cup, mix together the onion powder, garlic powder, and some cracked black pepper. Season the meat lightly, using only part of the mixture. Reserve the remaining spices. Place into an airtight plastic container or bowl, and refrigerate.
  • Step 2
    In a saucepan over medium heat, mix together the brown sugar, soy sauce, teriyaki sauce, Worcestershire sauce, balsamic vinegar, liquid smoke flavoring and pineapple juice. Heat until the brown sugar has completely dissolved. Refrigerate marinade until cool.
  • Step 3
    Pour cooled marinade over the seasoned meat, and mix by hand to coat. Seal the bowl, and refrigerate for at least 8 hours.
  • Step 4
    Arrange the beef strips on the rack of a dehydrator, and sprinkle with a little bit more of the spice mixture and red pepper flakes if using. Dry for 5 hours, or to your desired dryness.

I tried a lot of different ways - came across a company called PS Seasoning. They have several different flavors. Hickory is our favorite. The best i have tried.

I may be the odd man out but I use the inferno blend from high mountain.

Add a little more Black Death seasoning to up the heat.

It seems to make the jerky last a bit longer and weeds out the munchers.

It does tend to increase the consumption of ale.

The cure helps prevent bacteria growth which results in longer shelf life. Not adding the cure reduces shelf life, and you should probable store it in the fridge.
How long will it last in the fridge without the cure? I’m wondering if we dropped in some oxygen scavenger in to the food saver package if it would make it last in the fridge longer?

I've been using the hi mountain cracked black pepper garlic and it's really good. I've done both the dehydrator and the pellet grill, both turned out great. I do add a little more of the seasoning then they recommend.

Seasoned 17lbs today, hickory and cracked pepper/garlic. I have one gallon freezer bag still needs seasoned with cure and probably inferno.

Waiting for a circulation fan I have on order to arrive for more airflow dehydration. Says it is in transit from Chicago.

I think I will order another tray/rack and some frog mats.

I should be able to do 20lbs+ at a time?

Slicing elk center round sure is easier than trimming a small whitetail doe.

First batch came out pretty tasty… however, I think i may have overcooked it a little.

Any tips on knowing when it’s done? I’m a medium rare steak guy, but don’t want to under cook the jerky… so the first batch came out a little to “sharp” at the edges. 😂

Also, do you guys recommend spraying the wire racks with olive oil or something to prevent sticking? My concern would be that is adding fat, which would speed up the process of the meat going bad.

First batch came out pretty tasty… however, I think i may have overcooked it a little.

Any tips on knowing when it’s done? I’m a medium rare steak guy, but don’t want to under cook the jerky… so the first batch came out a little to “sharp” at the edges. 😂

Also, do you guys recommend spraying the wire racks with olive oil or something to prevent sticking? My concern would be that is adding fat, which would speed up the process of the meat going bad.
Are you dehydrating whole meat or ground? I have troubles with ground meat sticking to trays, but I think the key is when squirting it on to the tray, squirt in a parallel direction with the tray, not perpendicular. I have tried brushing oil on the tray and spraying them but I remember it working any better. Not sure about whole meat sticking.

I tend to over dry my jerky to error on the side of caution. I think it boils down to your own preference, texturewise.

Are you dehydrating whole meat or ground? I have troubles with ground meat sticking to trays, but I think the key is when squirting it on to the tray, squirt in a parallel direction with the tray, not perpendicular. I have tried brushing oil on the tray and spraying them but I remember it working any better. Not sure about whole meat sticking.

I tend to over dry my jerky to error on the side of caution. I think it boils down to your own preference, texturewise.
Ground meat

I have troubles with ground meat sticking to trays, but I think the key is when squirting it on to the tray, squirt in a parallel direction with the tray, not perpendicular

I am trying the frog mats for that reason- supposedly non stick?

Hi Mountain Hunters Blend for me, and pepper, I also do the teryaki but add Mr. Yoshida's teriyaki sauce to the marinade overnight .... Double the spice mixture but keep the cure as directed or if your only doing a few pounds skip the cure. I smoke mine on my pit boss pellet smoker on trays. After 2 hours I start texture samples. Some you can tell by the look, but you will know once try a piece if it should be smoked longer. After a while you can tell by the bend of the meat. All this is for whole muscle... not a fan of ground jerky.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JRP325
Back