Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

ISO Affordable, quality lightweight sleeping bag.

Waking up 5-6 times a night because im either cold or twisted up in my bag just really isn’t that enjoyable. Im on bag 4 wish I had spent the money to being with

I was also quite fond of bag 3 and really regretted kicking it under a uhal and forgetting it while waiting to get in a cub for my moose hunt. That was some rough cold nights with just a down blanket

How do all you feel about the bag liners? add heat? For the price of a Kelty 20 and a nice sea to summit liner I’m less than a 0 degree bag in weight and price. But I do sleep kinda cold outside of summer

How do all you feel about the bag liners? add heat? For the price of a Kelty 20 and a nice sea to summit liner I’m less than a 0 degree bag in weight and price. But I do sleep kinda cold outside of summer
The liner keeps your skin oil off the down which can degrade its insulation performance. I was skeptical in the beginning, and didn’t like how tangled up I’d get but I tried a camp without it and had a much more noticeable difference. IMO, worth the money to pick one up.

I went from a 42oz, 20* survival rated kelty sleeping bag to a 24oz, 10* comfort rated hammock gear burrow quilt. Cost was worth is on sale at about $350. Also had to upgrade the sleeping pad to the new thermarest nxt or whatever its called for another $200.

New full setup weighs as much as just my old sleeping bag and I am much warmer. I took the kelty down to zero degrees wearing all my clothes in a hot tipi and was comfortable in a snow storm. But the HG burrow is so much warmer, I think I could go to 0* as it sits and wear just a single base layer. I was so skeptical about quilts but Im a convert now, there is no going back.

The bag and pad id really like to get new. A tent don’t need to be. I got a sea to summit pad yesterday and I’ve been shopping around for bags for months but can’t settle on anything.

I’d like to keep it under 200, hopefully 0 but okay with 10-20 degree. Sub 4 lbs would be nice.

What do you use?
I have 4-5 different bags. My most used one is a Marmot 10deg down. They don't make the same model anymore, it's 20 years old but still kicking stong. I've never been cold in that bag, and usually sleep under it like a quilt. If I was shopping today I'd buy a Marmot Helium.

I would go check out bags at REI. Many of the lightweight mummy bags are lighter because they fit like skinny jeans and not comfortable to sleep in. There are lots of options in that 250-350 range.

Dang that thing compresses super small too! That’d be kickass— just what I’m lookin for but idk if I can talk the wife into letting me go over budget lol

Id like to get a nicer lightweight backpacking tent too so that’s part of why the budget is reduced. Like to have my cake and eat it too…

Ive said for years I wanted to camp on bugles or find elk before rifle opener and camp nearby so I don’t have to go home and drive/hike all the way back in, and for years I still never have… part of it is being alone and being a pu#!^
But part of it is being worried about my equipment. Just having some of the newer gear even that is more affordable will be far better than what I have now… I appreciate all your guys feedback

What’s the budget on both and how small of a tent are you wanting

What’s the budget on both and how small of a tent are you wanting
Id like to keep both at <$200 each and I have a one man backpacking tent that I like the size of but it doesn’t breathe for nothing! I wake up condensation dripping from the walls like a Miami nightclub. No sleeping bag would withstand that, so it’s kind of a must… I like bivy style but I don’t wanna hang my whole pack or leave it outside the tent. I’m thinking one man or a small two. @Forkyfinder has a REI half plus 2 that he’ll sell me. When it’s packed it’s only a little chunkier than the one I’m using now but it’s twice the size when it’s up. That’s nice! And I know it’s quality so I may end up doing that.

Love the liners. Great to sleep on top of the bag on a hot day.

Id like to keep both at <$200 each and I have a one man backpacking tent that I like the size of but it doesn’t breathe for nothing! I wake up condensation dripping from the walls like a Miami nightclub. No sleeping bag would withstand that, so it’s kind of a must… I like bivy style but I don’t wanna hang my whole pack or leave it outside the tent. I’m thinking one man or a small two. @Forkyfinder has a REI half plus 2 that he’ll sell me. When it’s packed it’s only a little chunkier than the one I’m using now but it’s twice the size when it’s up. That’s nice! And I know it’s quality so I may end up doing that.
Its a bit big for one- but worked well for a ton of trips with the wife and doggo.

Attachments

• 20200719_220632.jpg
    20200719_220632.jpg
    912.2 KB · Views: 4
I’d keep an eye on the classifieds then I have some spots I get a really great discount for various reasons and can’t touch 200 on this items for quality

I'm several years into using an 10 degree Enlightened Equipment quilt. It's not the cheapest ( Maybe $360 ) but it is light ( 26 oz ) and it keeps me warm enough. I don't know if anyone else does this but if you are already using down jacket and pants on a hunt sometimes I will just wear those inside the quilt at night if the temperature drops pretty low. This allows me to not carry as much weight in a sleeping bag.

GOHUNT has a Memorial Day sale right now. The KSB I mentioned is a part of that list.

So I ended up getting the Big Agnes Anthracite 20 and a Sea to Summit Liner for around 185 bucks, the tent is something Sportsman’s had on display a couple weeks ago and I had checked out, was half price this weekend! $77
(everything listed was on sale this weekend)
And a Sea to Summit pad for like 80 bucks. The pad is 1.1 lbs and not as small as I’d like but the guy talked me out of an air one and recommended self inflating… BA sleeping bag weighs in at 2 lbs10 oz and the tent at 2 lbs 12 oz. All in all my whole sleep system now only weighs 1 lb more than just my old 0* sleeping bag! I’m pretty pumped. The tent is flippin nice. I think it’s going to breathe 1000% better and it’s 1/3 smaller than my old tent. It even came with like 10 ultralight stakes that didn’t bend when I hit rocks in the yard. Can’t wait to hit the hills!

Attachments

• IMG_0834.jpeg
    IMG_0834.jpeg
    4.5 MB · Views: 11
So I ended up getting the Big Agnes Anthracite 20 and a Sea to Summit Liner for around 185 bucks, the tent is something Sportsman’s had on display a couple weeks ago and I had checked out, was half price this weekend! $77
(everything listed was on sale this weekend)
And a Sea to Summit pad for like 80 bucks. The pad is 1.1 lbs and not as small as I’d like but the guy talked me out of an air one and recommended self inflating… BA sleeping bag weighs in at 2 lbs10 oz and the tent at 2 lbs 12 oz. All in all my whole sleep system now only weighs 1 lb more than just my old 0* sleeping bag! I’m pretty pumped. The tent is flippin nice. I think it’s going to breathe 1000% better and it’s 1/3 smaller than my old tent. It even came with like 10 ultralight stakes that didn’t bend when I hit rocks in the yard. Can’t wait to hit the hills!

Just seeing this but that’s the bag I use and I like it. I think the longer version is better for >6 foot guys. I haven’t had to try it in below freezing temps yet so I’d be curious how the liner helps.

I use the patrol bag when I go camping, and generally I need to open it up because it’s too hot. I never camping in temps below freezing, though.

When was in the army, however, I used the full system sleeping in the snowy winter in AK, and it worked great.

I've had a kelty 15 degree forever. Never been cold in it. For the price I think they are the best option unless you are gonna go ham and buy expensive.

SITKA Pre Season Savings

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gagrimes1
Back