Is this a Russian Boar?

Tom

View

He was shot at 10pm and we had him skinned, quartered, and in the freezer by 3am. So, I don't have a very good picture from the middle of the night. He's black, course long hair, long snout, what else makes it Russian?

those are deffinetly the characteristics but, hard to tell in photo!! we have private ranches around here that trap and the hogs,young boars get "cut" and sows a released into a pen with true russians.The result is hogs with very similar features as russians without the disposition of a true russian boar!! and they more skittish than reg. hogs there is a noticeable difference!!

do you guys do this kinda thing in texas???

------------------
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison
fef8b783.gif.orig.gif

Thanks for the pic Tom. It is hard to say from the angle but I don't think it is. If you ever see one standing up you can tell a lot better. A Russian or half russian will have a more "dish" face than a feral hog. There is also more slope down from shoulders to tail than on ferals. He will sand higher in the front than the rear. Even though ferals are light in the butt a european is even more cat hamed.
I have never seen a pure european boar in the woods around here but I have seen some that show more than others.

------------------

Moosie, I heard him grunt before I shot him. It sounded Russian to me. You can't smell the vodka plus we had wine from 10:30 to 11 getting up the courage to go in the woods after him, he only ran about 50 yards. He was still grunting and we had to finish him off, but after wine, I don't recognize those accents to well.

He had the curved snout, he was higher in the shoulders than the rear. His tail was straight not curly.

Yes, there are places in Texas that capture hogs and mix them, etc. My understanding is that the hogs got ferel in Texas about the time of the Alamo. People left the farm to go fight and the hogs got away. They breed a lot and we have a lot of wild ones now over 100 years later. The Spanish also released them here I guess when they were developing the New World here.

All the pigs I got have staight tails. One was part Russian, I believe.

John

------------------
"When a man lies he murders some part of the world"

Cliff Burton

Tom the way you described him you well may be right. He for sure carries a lot of the european blood anyway. As to the tails that isn't a mark much unless there is maybe only one generation removed from a domestic hog. Most wild ones are straight, at least the ones I see are.
One other way wild hogs got started besides the ways you mentioned and this is living memory. In the fall the farmers would turn the hogs out in the woods to forage on acorns and such and maybe once a week or so drive a wagon load of corn out and dump it. In the spring they would round them up and pen them.
They never got them all back. One or two would always get away and as you said it doesn't take many to breed a passel of hogs.
My dad told me that often they would catch a hog that bore a mark and was three or four years old, one that no body had seen since it was turned out. This was in the 20's and 30's
BCR

[This message has been edited by Boggy Creek Ranger (edited 02-13-2001).]

Here's his tusks, a picture anyway. 2 inch circumference and 6.5 inch length on the bottom ones.

I'm glad those farmers let some hogs out, its great to hunt them now!

View

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back