MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Is the .308 Win adequate for Elk

Bowhunter60

Having just retired:), and now, finally able to spend the time out in the outdoors I have begun getting ready for Elk. Unfortunately, I'm a little behind the time curve for getting into the draws in some states. On the other hand, I've just started out Elk hunting and wouldn't have enough points to even be a consideration for some of the premier units anyway. But, I now have time to plan and obtain the needed equipment for Elk.

I've killed quite a few mule deer, whitetails, and hogs in my life time, with both rifle and bow. But, I'm sure most of us can always use, "just one more rifle" :D

I love the TC Dimension, frankly because I like quality modular weapons systems. I've found the Dimension to be very adequate, and since I reload all my rounds, I've been able to get very good accuracy with all my variations of the Dimension. I'm currently waiting for TC to put more barrels and bolts on the market for the .300 Win Mag, which I believe will be great Elk medicine.

That leaves me with my tried and true, .308 Win. With my hand loads, using Lapua brass, Fed 210 primers, 41gr of Varget powder. I can get about 2500 fps at the muzzle and 2400 ft lbs using a 180 gr Sierra SPBT. At 200 yards, I'm looking at about 2074 fps and roughly 1690 ft lbs. Even at 400 yards I'm still holding about 1250 ft lbs.

Having never taken an Elk, and until I can get my .300 Win Mag, are these numbers for the .308 adequate for a humane harvest of a nice bull Elk?:confused:

.308 is more than adequate for elk. Don't worry about gathering tons of points for primo units. There's good hunts in CO for 1 or 2 points, plus OTC tags, and leftovers in WY and Montana for no points. You can hunt elk, don't worry :D

Last edited:
You .308 is plenty of gun for an elk. A good bullet and good shot placement is all it takes.
Also congrats on your retirement. I'm sure you looked forward to it for a long time.

Thanks guys!

Cush, I'm no expert on draw systems or learning about OTC tags. I keep watching the websites for CO and WY, haven't checked MT yet. Will they announce on the sites when OTC or Left-over tags will be available?

A 308 is more than adequate for elk IMO. That said, if I was in your shoes I would possibly consider a bullet switch. A 150-165gr premium bullet would shoot a bit flatter and more than likely perform just as well. I use 165gr Partitions in my 30-06 and have found it to work wonderfully, getting full penetration through the shoulders of a cow elk at 300yds. Also killed 3 smallish pigs with one shot using that load.

Will they announce on the sites when OTC or Left-over tags will be available?

Montana draw surplus is usually available in the first week of august. Deer, Elk , and antelope will be available.
In regards to your rifle question, the .308 has killed alot of elk, so you will have no problems. they aren't as hard to kill as they make it sound, Last years bull died from a 100 grain boattail out of a .257 Roberts, and it was just as dead as one hit with a .338 magnum lol.

A 308 is more than adequate for elk IMO. That said, if I was in your shoes I would possibly consider a bullet switch. A 150-165gr premium bullet would shoot a bit flatter and more than likely perform just as well. I use 165gr Partitions in my 30-06 and have found it to work wonderfully, getting full penetration through the shoulders of a cow elk at 300yds. Also killed 3 smallish pigs with one shot using that load.

This. I am not a real fan of Sierra for most applications that require good penetration. They are accurate, though. I am a real fan of Partitions/Accubonds, but at .308 velocities, Hornady Interlocks work great, too.

I will second the 150 TTSX. Just ask Randy on how the 308 performs on elk! ;)

I have shot a couple of bulls with 165 grain Nosler Partitions out of my 308 and plan on doing it again next fall.

If anyone tells you that a .308 is not enough for elk, seek other opinions. If that was the case, I have a wall full of euro mounts from bulls that must have missed that memo.

Thanks Randy. I was fairly sure the .308 would be adequate, but I like the opinions of others who have done it.

Frankly, I think a well constructed 165gr bullet would be good, but a 180gr might be better. The ballistics are good for either, at least on paper.

If anyone tells you that a .308 is not enough for elk, seek other opinions. If that was the case, I have a wall full of euro mounts from bulls that must have missed that memo.

Hornady Pref

Hoop,

Thank you. I'm not locked into Sierra particularly. A good bonded bullet should be adequate at proper weight.

This. I am not a real fan of Sierra for most applications that require good penetration. They are accurate, though. I am a real fan of Partitions/Accubonds, but at .308 velocities, Hornady Interlocks work great, too.

Outstanding

MTN,

That's great information!

Montana draw surplus is usually available in the first week of august. Deer, Elk , and antelope will be available.
In regards to your rifle question, the .308 has killed alot of elk, so you will have no problems. they aren't as hard to kill as they make it sound, Last years bull died from a 100 grain boattail out of a .257 Roberts, and it was just as dead as one hit with a .338 magnum lol.

Nosler Partition

Well All,

After some review and study of all you all had to offer. I've elected to utilize my .308 for this years Elk hunt. Some recommended the 150gr, which, I just couldn't wrap my head around as adequate. I say that with all the understanding those of you who responded and likely many others have done so with a 150gr round. But, I want a little more insurance.

So, I've stepped down from the 180gr bullet and elected to go with the 165gr Nosler Partition. I'll reload that in Lapua brass with either Varget or H4831 powder depending on my results from test fires and practice.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Openseason44
Back