Is it worth it?

mdhunter

I apply in Arizona, Wyoming, Utah, Colorado, Montana, and Nevada every year and either apply for an actual hunt or just for points. I also have applied and drawn in New Mexico but I obviously cannot earn points there. After four years, over 30 applications a year (not counting my two boys), I have to ask "Is it worth it? I may get tags but boy do I have to earn them.

I have grown to hate Colorado as only the max point holders will get the primo tags. Utah has ten billion people with points as it has been so cheap to apply, Wyoming has an intriguing system which I currently like as I just drew an archery elk tag (wont be back anytime soon after 2010), Arizona is tough etc, etc, etc.

Wouldn't it just be easier to use the New Mexico system and pay upfront for the tag and apply? The odds in NM are better than many states and you can purchase a landowner tag if you are unsuccessful in the draw. NM holds tags the majority of the tags for the state residents. Simplicity seems to have its advantages.

What do you guys think?:confused:

Is it worth it to apply?

Uhhhh...yeah. I've been applying for tags for 30 years, but have only been applying out of state for about 14...limited luck, but well worth it. My family and I have done pretty well drawing some good tags.

553.JPG

AZ_Elk%20056.jpg

gt2.JPG

buzzmoose.JPG

mattmoose4_1_1.jpg

dadsmoose.JPG

fredsmoose.JPG

IMG_0893.JPG

IMG_3347.JPG

IMG_0763.JPG

I guess I was thinking more in the sense of the point system "being worth it" versus a straight draw. No doubt drawing the tag makes it all worthwhile. I am just complaining about the amount of work involved applying with different methods, different states, tracking points, refund checks, etc. If all states had the New Mexico system things would seemingly be much easier. Think about it, right now if you are flexible with the weapon type, you can find an elk, deer, or antelope hunt in NM with decent draw odds. I could apply in fewer states and probably end up with more tags. Just a thought...

Thanks for sharing your pictures as I am sure they bring back some great memories.

I think so.... I can only hunt a limited time each year but have the option to gain point in some states even though I'm not hunting them. I like Colorado's system of knowing what year I can hunt there. You can hunt some OK units with Few points too.

Utah I drew a great tag (to me) on my 2nd try. Yah, I'm a Dousch if you talk to these guys here for being that lucky but it can happen.

You can always save that money you use to put in and Hire an Outfitter with a sure tag. LAndwner tags are available too. There's other options, I'm just sayin'.

Yes, I think the preference point systems are worth it. CO and WY are good because you have a good idea of when you will draw. NM you have no clue, you may or may not, there is nothing wrong with that but if you can only afford one out of state hunt per year and you have 80+% draw odds in a state then I personally would not apply for NM that year. My luck I would end up with two good tags in one year and not be able to do both.

I like the mix of systems, gives me a lot of ways to scheme to get great tags spread over a long period of time. Also, if they were all really simple like NM and cheap/free, even more guys would be jumping in and competing.

Part of the process I enjoy is doing the research on the tags and different states...making the phone calls and talking to different people...learning about the different places....talking on different forums and getting to know people... It's all part of the experience

mdhunter,

The point systems are a good deal when it comes to planning hunts...some states like WY, CO, you can pretty much plan on when you want to draw a tag because of the preference system.

The thing I dont like about preference systems is that they really only assure you ONE quality tag in a lifetime and take younger hunters out of the running to a large degree. Plus, the people that benefit the most from the point systems are those that got in on the ground floor.

Just a lot of variables and lots of pro's and con's.

I still think its worth jumping through the hoops, though, if in the end you can draw some quality tags.

I think your right Buzz as I pretty much knew I would draw the archery tag in Wyoming this year.

The first year applying everywhere all the time was kind of new and interesting. After four years of apps I am a little burned out with the paperwork pushing and wishing for something simpler. I have been fortunate enough to draw tags every year including the first two years when I basically had zero points so I really shouldnt be complaining at all...

I hope my kids appreciate how smart their dad is someday. Those little boogers have four points in some states and they oldest is only fifteen years old. They will have an opportunity at some primo hunts long before I ever did (or will).

I'll be putting in points for my sons too when they are allowed.Hope they appreciate it too.I like NM also,gives everyone the same shot.Because of how bad my back is, not worth me even trying for Arizona,Utah,Nevada, and most of Colorado.I won't be able to walk anymore when I finally draw a tag, unless I get really lucky.At best, I have 3-4 more years.My best chance to hunt giant elk are with NM draw or they come up with a magical surgery for my back
I'm just happy to be able to hunt them every year now.I don't need giants to make me happy.Though it would be nice to have a good shot at one

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Burger hunter
Back