Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Is it unethical???

You spent a week or two with the guy, you should know him pretty well, have you considered calling him and talking about it?

If you do go, how will it feel? Will you be worried you are going to run into the guy and have a confrontation? Could that affect the enjoyment of your trip? I think it would for me. But,. I would be looking at that area on Google Earth to find areas near there that look similar.

I've been in that situation, and I won't go back on top of them. Now if that outfitter sells to another owner, I'd consider it.

My rule is "if you were in the outfitter's shoes how would you feel about it?

You spent a week or two with the guy, you should know him pretty well, have you considered calling him and talking about it?
This! I've been fortunate to have been shown a few spots by others. I will not divulge that info and if I am thinking of going back there I call and ask first. Since he takes folks to a different, even though nearby area, he might be okay with it and even offer you advice you didn't get on the trip. Won't know until you ask.

I think this courtesy should be granted to anyone who shows you an area, guide or not.

That is what I would do - I've had good response with fishing guides when I ask "Where could I go on my own? Will you be upset if I come back here?" They understand you aren't made of money. However, you might ask only after he shows you the best spots :D. It must be a real problem these days for outfitters with the ability to store your location with GPS.

Why the comment about "make sure it isn't wilderness"?

I think this courtesy should be granted to anyone who shows you an area, guide or not.

Yup. I have a friend who was surprised to find someone in his favorite hunting spot. After talking with the guy my friend was shocked to learn it was his ex-wife's new boyfriend. Careful who you tell. :eek:

That is what I would do - I've had good response with fishing guides when I ask "Where could I go on my own? Will you be upset if I come back here?" They understand you aren't made of money. However, you might ask only after he shows you the best spots :D. It must be a real problem these days for outfitters with the ability to store your location with GPS.

'Cause it was in WY and he's a NR, therefore he can't hunt the Wilderness without a resident or a guide.

That is kind of like going with a friend to his honey hole and then going back at a later date without his permission. It is not illegal, but really comes down to whether or not you want the reputation as a claim jumper.

I am sure that since it is public land, there are plenty of other people that use the same areas that the guide took you into. I would go into the same general area, but try to stay out of the area that he uses.

This is what came to my mind. I would never go back to a place a friend had taken me without permission. I agree that if on public ground I would explore another place in the general area that he didn't use.

In Wyoming NR's can't hunt in a Wilderness area without a guide. I think there are some other loopholes as long as you are with family or residents.

Thanks guys! He only takes bowhunters the last week of Sept. and goes further in since most of the area he hunts is in the wilderness which I can't go being a NR. I was planning on hunting some areas I saw on the way in and out well below the wilderness and the second week of Sept. Also, I did run into two other hunters during my hunt which is what kind of put the idea in my head.

This seems very reasonable. You won't be hunting the exact same area he showed you yet you will be hunting the same general area that you can apply the knowledge you've gained from your hunt.

It's public land....hunt it! Don't worry about anything other than that.

Yup. I have a friend who was surprised to find someone in his favorite hunting spot. After talking with the guy my friend was shocked to learn it was his ex-wife's new boyfriend. Careful who you tell. :eek:

Ouch.

For me, if I have to ask someone if its right/wrong, then I know the answer.

Figure it out on your own, use the experience you gained from your guided hunt to carve out your own area instead of scamming someone else's. The reward will be that much sweeter.

As much as I hate the guiding industry, this is a pretty low life thing to do, IMO.

I agree with that Bambistew as the guide makes his living out of such areas and if everyone doubles back into his ground soon he will have 'no ground' to take clients,its really a simple exercise in ethics to me.

Yep first post and I suppose I trod on some toes but this is what forums are all about..expressions of ones opinions.

I make my living on public land and see previous clients from time to time..... Normally on my way back to camp from the hunt, its hard to compete with all the support a outfitter can give.... so I personally wouldn't hunt where I was guided unless the outfitter ran a joke of a show.

I think you knew the answer before you posted the question. I like guides and outfitters. There are places you NEED both. That said, I prefer to hunt on my own with family or close friends. I'll fish with most anyone but I get real picky about hunting partners. You learned some things you seem to value from your guide. Now go apply that knowledge and find your own little "secret spot" and let the guy make a living too. jm2c

I am not a guide. I think this sucks, I am in the Bambi camp. I feel Outdoorsmen, Sportsmen, cowboys, all have un-written rules / code. However, folks do not treat others with respect anymore. My feelings do not matter. Get in there and hunt it. Everyone is doing it.

(Can't stand my idiot 'friend' telling people which unit he hunts in let alone telling them which trailhead on what mountain???? )

The guides make their living finding spots. I guess I would feel like I'm taking money away from them. WY has great elk hunting. I'm sure if you do your research you'll find your own spots.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Trapper330
Back