Is it possible to draw a pronghorn and mule deer tag in Wyoming for crossover hunt dates with a rifle while only having one preference point for each?

Sounds like you're a little confused as to how the application process works. Your deer and antelope applications would be separate. And you would be applying for a deer hunt as a first choice, and an antelope hunt as a first choice, on each application.
Okay thanks 🙏🏻 that’s what I thought but wasn’t 100% sure. Then I can fill out a second choice for each in case my first doesn’t get picked for one or the other or both? Not that I am worried about losing one point that I bought before Halloween.

Eh, MAYBE a couple bucks but the vast majority will have them through October. November is when they usually drop. That being said I saw a couple bucks just yesterday that still had both horns.

Were they nice bucks? I had heard from a biologist years ago that the more mature bucks tend to starting shedding before the younger bucks. A young buck can have nice horns though seems the older bucks will have better headgear on average. Not everyone cares about horns, obviously.

Sounds like you're a little confused as to how the application process works. Your deer and antelope applications would be separate. And you would be applying for a deer hunt as a first choice, and an antelope hunt as a first choice, on each application.

Yep, went back and read the first post more closely.
You'll apply for each separately. Put your 1 PP area as 1st choice since you want to draw . You will have the chance to draw both licenses, one or the other, or none.
Doe tags are cheaper and a separate random draw . A good idea to have at least one for your antelope area.

I've never had trouble finding solid-horned bucks into mid-October. I guess a few might shed by then, but I think most hold on quite a bit longer.

I wouldn't get too hung up on having your tags in the same unit, if you have 10 days to get it done. When I do a combo, I set up camp in my elk or deer area and then just drive about an hour to my pronghorn area. I've done this a few times in Wyoming.

LCH makes a good point. I did a similar thing in 2014 in Western Wyoming. Deer unit and Antelope unit was 80 miles apart. Elevation difference was about 3000 ft. Both units took about 3 pts to draw though.

I think the OP is probably going to need to apply for a Regional tag for deer, and pick an Antelope unit in that region or nearby. That will give more area for the deer hunting. While it is nice to imagine finding an antelope while deer hunting (and certainly POSSIBLE), from my experience finding good deer country first then hunting antelope after has been more productive for me.

Were they nice bucks? I had heard from a biologist years ago that the more mature bucks tend to starting shedding before the younger bucks. A young buck can have nice horns though seems the older bucks will have better headgear on average. Not everyone cares about horns, obviously.
I think they were mature bucks, but I was driving by them on the highway. They weren't huge and they weren't little. I've heard that older/bigger deer and elk shed first, not sure if that is the case with antelope but I don't see why it wouldn't be. I had a couple antelope tags this year and hunted mid november. Bucks still had horns as far as I could tell but I was hoping to kill one that had either only one horn or that had already dropped both. Never did kill one.

Forrest Earnest
"Aspiring Western Big Game Hunter"

WVgoodguy22:

If you are going to talk to people in Wyoming about doe antelope licenses or antlerless deer licenses refer to the licenses as Type 6 licenses, not "B tags", that is a Montana term that doesn't mean anything in Wyoming.

I would not worry at all about hunting buck antelope in late October because they may have shed their horns. Buck antelope very rarely shed the sheath on their horns before the first part of November. As has been mentioned, some bucks will be "wearing" their horn sheaths until late November or early December. If you kill a buck antelope in mid-November you may be able to pull the horn sheath off when you drag the critter out of the field.

As a nonresident you will most likely be applying for a Deer Region that are designated by a letter, i.e. "Region D". If you draw a region deer license you are allowed to hunt during the general season in any hunt area during open season dates within that region.

Antelope licenses are hunt area specific, there no regions, so you would have to apply for a specific hunt area and only hunt in that hunt area.

Good luck if you decide to apply for antelope and deer licenses in Wyoming.

ClearCreek

I'm planning on doing the same thing but with 0 points! Still looking for a unit I can pull a Mule deer buck tag in WY though. Planning my hunt for NE Wyoming as well!

LCH makes a good point. I did a similar thing in 2014 in Western Wyoming. Deer unit and Antelope unit was 80 miles apart. Elevation difference was about 3000 ft. Both units took about 3 pts to draw though.

I think the OP is probably going to need to apply for a Regional tag for deer, and pick an Antelope unit in that region or nearby. That will give more area for the deer hunting. While it is nice to imagine finding an antelope while deer hunting (and certainly POSSIBLE), from my experience finding good deer country first then hunting antelope after has been more productive for me.
Thanks for the heads up I was hoping that there was people out there that have some experience with the idea of a deer/pronghorn combo hunt. I will definitely keep that in mind.

I'm planning on doing the same thing but with 0 points! Still looking for a unit I can pull a Mule deer buck tag in WY though. Planning my hunt for NE Wyoming as well!
A friend of mine has based his hunts for both out of Gillette, WY but I think that he got a good deal with an outfitter.

WVgoodguy22:

If you are going to talk to people in Wyoming about doe antelope licenses or antlerless deer licenses refer to the licenses as Type 6 licenses, not "B tags", that is a Montana term that doesn't mean anything in Wyoming.

I would not worry at all about hunting buck antelope in late October because they may have shed their horns. Buck antelope very rarely shed the sheath on their horns before the first part of November. As has been mentioned, some bucks will be "wearing" their horn sheaths until late November or early December. If you kill a buck antelope in mid-November you may be able to pull the horn sheath off when you drag the critter out of the field.

As a nonresident you will most likely be applying for a Deer Region that are designated by a letter, i.e. "Region D". If you draw a region deer license you are allowed to hunt during the general season in any hunt area during open season dates within that region.

Antelope licenses are hunt area specific, there no regions, so you would have to apply for a specific hunt area and only hunt in that hunt area.

Good luck if you decide to apply for antelope and deer licenses in Wyoming.

ClearCreek
Thank you very much for the term clarification, I will definitely keep that in mind.

Style points for what seems to be the longest thread title in Hunttalk history!
Haha thanks that is the second or third time that I have been given those style points. I like to be thorough, perhaps too thorough. Perhaps I am practicing in case I ever land a job at Eastman's Hunting Journals, Midwest Whitetail, or any other outdoor related publication. One can dream.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back