Is it October yet?

RidgeRoamingRichard

Just set plans to go out East (as far East as I like to go) for opening day. We will have about 3,000 acrea of private coulees, ag fields, windrows, and sage flats all to ourselves. We only have 2 whole days to hunt, but my longest hunt there so far was about 2 hours, so we should be able to find some monsters. It will be my BIL's first deer and I am so much more excited for him to get something than for me to. He hunted hard last year and passed on some unsafe shooting scenarios, so he has more than earned an easy, private land jaunt.

Can't wait to make plans with him while sitting around the fire at turkey camp. Now if only I could get my boss to agree that scouting is grant work....0726190754.jpg

Attachments

• 0726190838.jpg
    0726190838.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 13
October? Huh can we get to spring bear and September archery first?

Good luck with your hunt, but we have this saying where I'm from: don't sell the bear's hide before you've killed it. Last time I got cocky about "an easy hunt", I was hammered with a solid three day snow storm and finally shot something on the fifth day once everything had cleared up.

Yeah, I'm not punching tags yet! I'm excited for turkey and bear, but nothing would be cooler than seeing him put one down. Weather could sideline us, but I'm an optimist!

Yup. Whiteys in the fields, muleys in the coulees. Waiting for the rut would be nice, but we've got to go during the timeframe that works. Plus the paying hunters get the rut slots.

Our trip was canceled. Covid made it all the way up to the middle of nowhere and my FIL isn't doing well. He is out of the hospital but recovery is going to be long and gruelling. Where you masks everyone!

My heart isn't in the hunt at the moment, I'm just focused on family. That being said, my crew of one new hunter grew to three, so I still need to think of a hunt for opening weekend.

So I need your advice. The group includes an asthmatic and a gent who doesn't work out at all. Do we go out to eastern MT where the hiking is easier and compete with the crowds? I've never hunted anything but private out there. Do we hunt around Helena, even though my spots are challenging to get to? Do we focus on deer? Elk? Should I just change my number and go hunting solo!?

Thanks for the sagely wisdom and advice. For every idiot I've seen on here, there are 100 great people.

Sorry to hear about life throwing you and the family some wicked curve balls. I think regardless of the choice you will face the same problem on public - a sea of orange. Best advice I can think of is to ask for their opinions and figure out how far you want to drive. The weather forecast is bad, and a lot of central/Eastern Montana is in the middle of a record snow storm. That may matter in determining the road conditions in various places and increase the hiking difficulty. Good luck.

Sorry to hear about life throwing you and the family some wicked curve balls. I think regardless of the choice you will face the same problem on public - a sea of orange. Best advice I can think of is to ask for their opinions and figure out how far you want to drive. The weather forecast is bad, and a lot of central/Eastern Montana is in the middle of a record snow storm. That may matter in determining the road conditions in various places and increase the hiking difficulty. Good luck.
Thank you! I forget how much different the weather can be down on the flats. I'll keep that in mind as we make plans.

Thank you! I forget how much different the weather can be down on the flats. I'll keep that in mind as we make plans.
Saturday looking lie a balmy 17degrees with lows in single digits. Getting a little rain today, so the snow has a nice crust on it. We went from 80 degrees and dry to a foot of snow on the ground and a 60degree drop in temps in a week or so.

Saturday looking lie a balmy 17degrees with lows in single digits. Getting a little rain today, so the snow has a nice crust on it. We went from 80 degrees and dry to a foot of snow on the ground and a 60degree drop in temps in a week or so.
Similar forecast here with more snow coming Saturday.

Nothing but good stuff to report. My FIL made an exponential recovery and insisted that we come up and stay in his camper out on the farm and fill some tags. It was so good to see him up and moving. I even got to help fix some fense and take care of some issues around the place.

Out of the 3 first-time deer hunters I had with me, 2 got bucks, and the third had plenty of chances. I left my rifle at camp and got to play guide for a few days. Massive respect for the guys that do that professionally.

Hope everyone had as great of an opening weekend.1024201324c.jpg1024201517.jpg

Back