Irritating video law.

Big Sky

If you take any video on State, BLM, or Forrest Service land you need to read this.

Attention Videographers and Cameramen
A new law also prohibits the selling of any video footage from Forest Service, BLM and State Lands. Anyone who produces a video to sell or is compensated for selling one second or more of video footage without a permit is breaking the law. Permits are required for every different National forest or BLM area you will be filming in. They will be watching any videos produced and handing out some heavy fines. You must obtain a film permit from Forest Service and the BLM. A $1 Million dollar insurance policy is required (which runs about $2,000 a year). This policy is nationwide for TV & video.

I'm thinking what's next? Should we charge photographers, artists, and writers if they used anything on BLM, Forrest Service, or State land?

sooo, does this mean that all of those environmental groups that video their stuff will be required to obtain those permits also? Better make it even across the board.

Just a way to make money off of sportsmen who have started distributing their own hunting videos.

Next there will be a surcharge on postcards for cripes sake :rolleyes: When is Uncle gonna quite finding new ways to reach deeper into sportsman's pockets? I swear, not that I film for profit but I do film a lot, this is borderline extortion on the part of the Feds.
SInce when do you have to "rent" air-time on PUBLIC ground??

Heck Troy, next they'll want to charge you for your drawings if the animal in the picture was on Fed/State property :mad:

Its for commercial film makers. Read the page that NUT posted. You guys blow some of this stuff so far out of proportion. You don't think NYC, PHILA, SAN FRAN, charge movie makers?

Whiskers I didn't blow anything out of proportion. Many of us film our hunts. Some of us including me have discovered there's lot's of folks out there that will purchase that video footage. With the Sportman's Channel, The Outdoor Channel, plus all the outdoor related video companys there's a very big market. If I'm filming the hunts anyway why not make a few bucks to help finance the trip? For the average hunter who just wants to film his own hunt and enjoy it with his buddys later in his living room this law means nothing. However let's say a hunt like Moosie's sheep hunt was all caught on tape and Realtree Outdoors offered him a couple grand for the footage, how long do you think it would take him or any other normal person to sign the contract? If that hunt occured on the above outlined land he just broke the law. The law isn't just for big movie production folks, it's for ANYONE that sells video footage taken on State, BLM, or Forest Service land.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back