Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Iowa Whitetail

Badlandcat

Good friend ended up with a any weapon, any season Iowa Whitetail tag. I am helping him do a little armchair scouting. Been told that region 5/ Southeast corner is the best. If anybody has pointers I sure will takem.
Thanks

I've hunted zone 4 the last 2 years. Last year was first shotgun and this year was second shotgun. I'd propably go with archery during mid November if I had the choice. First shotgun they were still chasing a little bit and this year during second shotgun the weather was warm and they were just moving at dawn/dusk even in December. Weather will be key along with land access. While I was there this year the guy who let me hunt was selling timber patches off his cropland for 8-10 k an acre. Amazing what property prices have gone to with good corn yields and good hunting.

Iowa is a great place to hunt for trophy whitetail. If you are looking for a nice trophy stick to the southern part of the state. Is this going to be an outfitted hunt? I would choose archery alot less hunters and probably your best bet to shoot a wall hanger. Good Luck!

Question: Being from Iowa I have never heard of a "any weapon, any season tag"? As a resident I can NOT even get that tag. How did he get that tag and from where? Is this just a non-resident option?

To your question. Lots of good deer in the south and east. Do your homework and you will get a chance. Everybody believes these monster bucks are behind every tree.... not true. You must put in your time. Maybe on outfitter would be the choice since you are so far away.

good luck to all
the dog

Question: Being from Iowa I have never heard of a "any weapon, any season tag"? As a resident I can NOT even get that tag. How did he get that tag and from where? Is this just a non-resident option?

To your question. Lots of good deer in the south and east. Do your homework and you will get a chance. Everybody believes these monster bucks are behind every tree.... not true. You must put in your time. Maybe on outfitter would be the choice since you are so far away.

good luck to all
the dog

Im guessing it is a governors tag maybe?

Anyway, I am from SW IA, and would be hard pressed to say there is anywhere better in the state, then the SW! In college, Ames, Ia, Go Cyclones, we did quite a bit of archery hunting near/and off the Boone River. There are some pigs around there. The SE corner is awful sweet too. The Mississippi River and oxbows, south of Muscatine....backwoods hunting big narley bucks is tricky, but rewarding. >>>We would duck hunt my friend's deer hunting honey holes. (note; Iowa deer are the toughest SOB's around imo. THEY CAN SWIM) Good luck!

I'm headed down to scout/shed hunt public land in 2 weeks. Not sure if we'll be burning our 4 points there yet. Depends on western lottery results. Will be in zones 5 & 6.

Im guessing it is a governors tag maybe?

I have never heard of Iowa having a governors tag. I'll have to do some checking into this. Could you imagine hunting the Iowa rut... normally bow season, with a gun? Only in my dreams.

good luck to all
the dog

There are governor tags given to mostly celebrities to promote hunting in Iowa. I believe they do require a specific weapon and season though. I live in central Iowa and used to bowhunt and shotgun hunt extensively in SW Iowa. Then my buddy decided to get divorced and it was his in-laws land! :( I don't blame him one bit though. :)

I used to hunt south central a bit and then lost the private ground. I now hunt closer to Des Moines on public and private. I hunted a lot last fall and only saw one 150" buck but that is better than none. First two weeks of November always seems to be the best for me.

As said above, there are some good public places in the southern part of the state. SW, SE, or south central are all good. The NE has some of the prettiest places to hunt in the bluff country and there are some pigs up there.

If you want more specifics, shoot me a PM.

Its a tag he bought thru the Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation kinda like a govenor tag, but he has to stay within seasons and weapon. He likes to archery hunt rather than gun hunt, not sure on guided or not. Alot depends if he can get off the ranch enough to make it down there(he is in NoDak) to scout. Thanks for the input and before you blast him for being one of them guys that buys his way thru life, he is just a rancher that has a lifelong dream of shooting a big whitetail and happen to catch a couple breaks that allows him to finally go for it.

Its a tag he bought thru the Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation kinda like a govenor tag, but he has to stay within seasons and weapon. He likes to archery hunt rather than gun hunt, not sure on guided or not. Alot depends if he can get off the ranch enough to make it down there(he is in NoDak) to scout. Thanks for the input and before you blast him for being one of them guys that buys his way thru life, he is just a rancher that has a lifelong dream of shooting a big whitetail and happen to catch a couple breaks that allows him to finally go for it.

Thanks, that makes more sense. Pick the season that goes along with the weapon.

Northeast Iowa puts out some nice deer. The four counties in the northeast corner. Lots of private land, however, some public is available.

If you have questions PM me.

good luck to all
the dog

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CCEAB
Back