Iowa/LSU Women’s BBall tonite

I've always disliked that the NBA outlaws team defense. That's ONE way of ensuring the lane stays open . It's by definition (and rule) a different game than any basketball any of us ever played.

I also agree with the observed lack of defensive effort in NBA regular season games...but then again they play 82 games a season, right? So more than double a college season--probably difficult to play college-level defensive team effort for that many games.

@406dn , i appreciate your view of the game and have a very similar opinion. I still enjoy NBA, especially the playoffs. The All-Star game is joke though. Another awesome player to watch is Doncic. His assists are a sight to behold and his off tempo style leads to some great finishes for him. And Kyrie Irving, he’s getting a bit old now, but his handles and finishing ability are in a league of their own, pardon the pun.

Agree, on all points. The All Star game is unwatchable. Luka Donic is a Larry Bird sized guard. He is one hellva player.

As long as the three point line exists, the mid range jump shot is mostly dead. Shooting 33.33% from three is the same as shooting 50% from two. There are many players who shoot better than that from three, not too many that can shoot 50% on mid range jump shots.

No one decided to "kill" the mid range game. Smart players and coaches figured out a better way to win, which I think is the goal. If a certain chess strategy resulted in you getting checkmated, a good player modifies their approach.

Actually at this time centers are more important than they've been in a while. The Joker, Embiid, Sabonis and Wembanyama are going to shift the game to a somewhat different normal.
In all sports smart teams game the present rules and then leagues need to make changes. e.g. the shot clock, the 3 point line, the pitch clock, etc. Failing to address the new binary game play is the league killing it. They could move the line back, eliminate the short wings, allow more physical play on the perimeter, . . .

I've always disliked that the NBA outlaws team defense. That's ONE way of ensuring the lane stays open . It's by definition (and rule) a different game than any basketball any of us ever played.

I also agree with the observed lack of defensive effort in NBA regular season games...but then again they play 82 games a season, right? So more than double a college season--probably difficult to play college-level defensive team effort for that many games.
Put any college team up against an NBA team, and see who plays defense. I would prefer the NBA played by International rules. There is no three second violation on defense, and offensive goaltending is not goaltending, it's a basket.

In all sports smart teams game the present rules and then leagues need to make changes. e.g. the shot clock, the 3 point line, the pitch clock, etc. Failing to address the new binary game play is the league killing it. They could move the line back, eliminate the short wings, allow more physical play on the perimeter, . . .

Many players, Curry, Lilliard, Donic, to name three, already shoot from way behind the three point line. That is one of the reasons defenses have so much area to guard, presently.

I do find the distinction of what is allowed close to the basket and what is allowed beyond the three point line a bit amusing.

I sincerely think a player could run the length of the court w/o a dribble and not get a traveling whistle.

Of course they can, so long as they don't have the ball. :ROFLMAO:

They allow traveling and palming the ball routinely.

LeBron over Jordan? Even over Bryant? I gotta ask what's your preference meth or bath salts?
A man of my stature is above those white trash drugs. Pure Colombian coke for me. But even in my lucid times, I stand by it. More asinine to me than the GOAT talk are those that pretend he’s not even a top five or ten all time. That’s a much more comical debate. And I bet it’s partly fueled by his occasional foray into political statements .

A man of my stature is above those white trash drugs
Sure fooled me...and well everyone last season I guess. Is he a great player yes. Is he the greatest of since ive been watching? Not a snow balls chance in hell. I can't say who is the greatest of all time since I didn't watch anyone prior to the 90's. But I can say who is the greatest since I've been watching and it certainly isn't Lebron.

Last edited:

Iowa's 94-87 victory over LSU in the Elite Eight of the women's NCAA tournament Monday night averaged 12.3 million viewers on ESPN, according to Nielsen.

Iowa-LSU outdrew all but one of the five games in last year's NBA Finals, along with the clinching game of last year's World Series (11.48 million).

...wonder of Iowa-UConn will be another record, or if the drama from Iowa-LSU last year was the draw.

Iowa-LSU outdrew all but one of the five games in last year's NBA Finals, along with the clinching game of last year's World Series (11.48 million).

To put this in another context, it is 10% of the viewership of the Superbowl (I googled that). They are in no danger of hitting their ceiling anytime soon.

@406dn you're not the only bball afficionado. Not the only one that's watched as a passionate fan for multiple decades/eras.

The current NBA is absolute trash and no amount of "yeah, but..." is going to change my mind.

A man of my stature is above those white trash drugs. Pure Colombian coke for me. But even in my lucid times, I stand by it. More asinine to me than the GOAT talk are those that pretend he’s not even a top five or ten all time. That’s a much more comical debate. And I bet it’s partly fueled by his occasional foray into political statements .

It is LeBron's willingness to weigh in on political issues that is a major reason, so many dislike him. It confronts their world view. Kinda like I'm not a big Curt Shilling fan.

Jordan when once asked a sensitive question, deferred, then said Republicans buy basketball shoes too.

The NBA has lost fans over the players and leagues open support for things like black lives matter. An unpleasant truth, the NBA has always had to deal with racial matters. Black players dominate basketball more than most any other sport. The players aren't wearing a helmet, or anything to obscure their identity. Of all the sports, few put fans closer to the players. You can see for yourself most of what is going on between players, refs, coaches, etc.

It is LeBron's willingness to weigh in on political issues that is a major reason, so many dislike him. It confronts their world view. Kinda like I'm not a big Curt Shilling fan.

Jordan when once asked a sensitive question, deferred, then said Republicans buy basketball shoes too.

The NBA has lost fans over the players and leagues open support for things like black lives matter. An unpleasant truth, the NBA has always had to deal with racial matters. Black players dominate basketball more than most any other sport. The players aren't wearing a helmet, or anything to obscure their identity. Of all the sports, few put fans closer to the players. You can see for yourself most of what is going on between players, refs, coaches, etc.
I mean, I know this is hunttalk and all, but let's not take a perfectly good thread about basketball and run it into a(nother) political ditch...please?

Let's all take a cue from Jordan...the GOAT!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
muleydude
Back