Iowa early muzzle loader

duckhunt

Our season starts next weekend. Im going to spend the first 7 days in north east Iowa around lansing. Then im coming home for parents night at my boys football game. Probably hunt the last 2 days close to home if I still have a tag. Anybody else hunting early muzzle loader?

I will be taking the wife and hopefully my dad at some point in the season, he has to have intestinal surgery 3 days before the season opens.

duckhunt, I wasn't going to hunt the early muzzleloader but we saw a pair of very nice 8 pointers almost everyday during youth season on the public land next to my place. They were just a little too far for my son except once we watched them both bed down about 5 feet across the fence on private ground. We saw them every time in one small area so I am thinking about early muzzleloader. If you don't get one up north let me know I can show you were they are it is only a few miles from you.

iaengineer. I was looking at your place on mapqwest and did not realize that there was public ground right there. I have duck hunted south of your place on public years ago. I believe all the early muzzle loader tags are sold out. Better check on the DNR website.

duckhunt, I wasn't going to hunt the early muzzleloader but we saw a pair of very nice 8 pointers almost everyday during youth season on the public land next to my place. They were just a little too far for my son except once we watched them both bed down about 5 feet across the fence on private ground. We saw them every time in one small area so I am thinking about early muzzleloader. If you don't get one up north let me know I can show you were they are it is only a few miles from you.

Are you sure there are tags left? They only sell 7500 and they typically sell out.

I would imagine iaengineer was referring to the youth tags that if unfilled after the youth season can be used during any of the adult gun seasons. Great program for our youth!

No early muzzy for me this year. Good luck to all who are going out! It is a great time of the year to be in the woods, but is there a bad time to be in the woods? I have had good luck in the past rattling during the early muzzleloader season.

I switched to the early season a couple years ago and really like it. I'm hoping with the later season this year maybe I can catch a mature one out in daylight hours. Cold weather would be nice. Good luck to all.

Back