Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

iowa ducks

jordan

hey guys I am a beginner with duck hunting. I have hunting geese but that's it. in iowa we don't have a mass of ducks by any means. we have mostly wood ducks and blue teal. there are occasional mallards. I have some decoys of all of them. we hunt almost all small ponds. you guys got any advise on how to hunt them and get a limit?

Find ponds and streams that they are using. Get permission to hunt. Be set up before legal time. Hunt until 10 a.m. No ducks? Go home. Repeat each day of season.

Scouting and being where the ducks want to be is the biggest key to your success. I'd rather have crappy dekes and a bad caller in a great spot, than the best dekes and caller in a poor spot.

You are a beginner, and green. Plenty of ducks and in mass. Small ponds is one of your problems. Get on some big water and see what happens. & what JLS said.

Scout.

I have seen 2k mallards light up an Iowa corn field, so do not rule out field hunting and again - ya wanna be where the ducks are!

Last edited:
Yeah, I sit in a blind in SEMO and cuss Iowa fields and big water when there ain't no ice and snow there to move them south!! The even worse part is, when you get it , we do too and they fly over!!!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Big daddy
Back