Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Iowa deer - new things in new places

FishN4Eyes

Full disclosure: this was a DIY (with help from a buddy) hunt on private land. There didn't appear to be a lot of public land in Iowa.

A buddy of mine from the Midwest wanted to trade an elk hunt for a deer hunt. He came out the last two years to MT and shot two elk each year so that part was a success.

After a couple of years of buying points, I put in the for late season muzzleloader this year and headed to Iowa.

Hunting out of a stand and with a muzzleloader was a new type of hunting for me.

It was different but fun and we had this nice buck come into a bean field early in the hunt.

With not great weather conditions (it was pretty warm, mid-30's) and no snow we decided to take him.

He scored 157" and we figured a 4.5 YO which was what we were looking for age-wise.

Iowadeer1_zps4bac8656.jpg

Anyhoo, it was fun to do something different in a different part of the States and I enjoyed it.

We also shot a doe as my buddy wanted some jerky stick meat and I wanted some more backstraps. Good eating deer for sure.

My buddy's friend shot the big eight (now I'm sounding like those guys) in the picture below, a really cool buck with good mass.

Iowadeer3_zps79814b74.jpg

No packs required on this one!

Iowadeer2_zps3a29c218.jpg

A couple more pics:

FullSizeRender_zps7d5777d8.jpg

IMG_5376_zps96c88350.jpg

One thing I should add is the sheds in front of my deer are his from last year.

He put on over 30" in the last year. A good reason to not shoot those 3.5 YO. And maybe those 4.5 YO's either!

Pretty cool to get those as well!

Last edited:
Nice looking bucks Chris. Growing up in Michigan I have done my fair share of stand sitting. It is fun if you take it for what it is. You guys did well and hopefully you enjoyed the experience even though it is different than what we are used to out west.

....what is this other hunting you speak of that doesn't involve tree stands?? lol.:)
good looking deer.

Sure,some of the prima donas on this site who consider themselves the "chosen" might scoff,...who cares...that is a cool hunt(muzzleloader/treestand/Iowa) with great results.Congrats.

Very nice!!! Glad that you had a nice visit to Iowa. You should be here now... temps below zero and wind chills at -25. Be careful what you wish for.

good luck to all
the dog

Thats 2 awesome looking bucks right there! Congrats on your successful hunt and welcome to the world of midwest stand hunting....... not tooo bad right? Leaves start crunching and the adrenaline sure does go up! Hope you enjoyed it!

Very nice!!! Glad that you had a nice visit to Iowa. You should be here now... temps below zero and wind chills at -25. Be careful what you wish for.

good luck to all
the dog

It was fun for sure.

I hear you on the temps this week, be a good week to be sitting on the food that's for sure.

My buddy is hunting there right now with his FIL, hopefully they find a slammer.

I don't really care what type of hunting it is, I enjoy it all and it's always fun to expand your horizons in my opinion.

Congratulations on the beautiful deer! Sitting on an uncut soybean field when the temperature drops is dynamite! What part of Iowa were you in?

im sorry we ripped you off for so much $ non-res wise. i live in iowa. i dont suppose you hunted anything other than deer did you?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Trapper330
Back