Introductions from a future regular.

Kotimaki

Greetings and salutations to all. I'm new here but have been stalking your group for about a week now. I had'nt hunted out west for a few too many seasons and stumbled onto this forum while researching a trip for fall. That led to watching a few of Randys videos I must say , he is a breath of fresh air in todays world. From what I have read here thus far it looks like a pretty good group here also. I live in Northern MI , guide elk here in our limited season and hunt and fish everything I can fom Alaska to Fla. October should find me in central Wyoming this year chasing pronghorns if this draw system favors me....Nice to meet you all.

Welcome aboard. Looking forward to hearing how your hunts play out!

Michigan elk are off limits to non resident hunters but if anyone needs info on bear , deer , turkey or upland game or Michigan blue ribbon trout water I'll help you out.

Michigan elk are off limits to non resident hunters but if anyone needs info on bear , deer , turkey or upland game or Michigan blue ribbon trout water I'll help you out.

Welcome!

What’s the elk drawing like for residents?

Welcome!

What’s the elk drawing like for residents?

Once in a lifetime for a bull, and once every 10 on a cow. I've got 8 points, next year I'll have 9 entries in the lotto. It's random draw, usually runs about 1000 to 1 odds. Only weird thing about it is the regional percentage. I really like the random draw versus a preference point system.

"The elk drawing system also ensures that the percentage of hunters selected from a given region (Upper Peninsula, Northern Lower Peninsula (NLP), and Southern Lower Peninsula) equals the percentage of individuals who applied From that region. For example, if 30 percent of all applicants reside in the NLP, 30 percent of selected hunters will be NLP residents."

Last edited:
That’s an interesting component to add to a draw system, what’s the hunt like private lands, public?

That’s an interesting component to add to a draw system, what’s the hunt like private lands, public?

It's a mix. From my understanding you are assigned a unit, and the DNR does everything in their power to make sure the tags get filled. You have to attend a half day class with the DNR if your drawn.

I've been at it since 84 , guided 60 some hunters at 95% success. The few tags that go unfilled are usually due to poor marksmanship , unability to hike , or time constraints. Yes I have seen guys with a once in a lifetime tag in their pocket hunt the weekend and go back to work for monday morning....I couldnt do it. No matter which unit you draw its about 50/50 public to private. Access to private for michigan elk isnt to bad if youre not an idiot , but due to the high number of idiots it gets a little tougher each year. DIY wouldnt be hard for anyone with some outdoor skills. This years Dec. hunt I was tagged out with two grinning hunters and two respectable bulls by 815 am.

With my luck I'll get drawn for Wy and Mi at the same time this year....that would be awesome and suck at the same time

I've been at it since 84 , guided 60 some hunters at 95% success. The few tags that go unfilled are usually due to poor marksmanship , unability to hike , or time constraints. Yes I have seen guys with a once in a lifetime tag in their pocket hunt the weekend and go back to work for monday morning....I couldnt do it. No matter which unit you draw its about 50/50 public to private. Access to private for michigan elk isnt to bad if youre not an idiot , but due to the high number of idiots it gets a little tougher each year. DIY wouldnt be hard for anyone with some outdoor skills. This years Dec. hunt I was tagged out with two grinning hunters and two respectable bulls by 815 am.

Right on man! I wish I lived up that way to spend more time with the elk. We've got family friends that live on Canada Creek. If I'm ever fortunate to draw I hope it's for Mountmorency.

I just went to Wyoming last year for antelope, if you need any help shoot me a pm on here and I'll do my best to help you out.

Welcome. My grandfather lived in Michigan, I never got to spend much time with him but the times we went I loved the place. If Michigan ever opens up elk to non-residents I would love to go hunt there.

Back