Yeti GOBOX Collection

Introduction and re-introduction of wildlife

Panda Bear

Elk were introduced into The Territories. The two herds, although small, are a real headache for the farmers. The original purpose, according to the ones who decided to do it, was to help increase the Caribou herds by giving hunters something different to hunt.

Bighorn Sheep were re- introduced in Oregon
Elk in Tenn.
Wolf in Wyoming
in a recent communique with April, she told me that the U.K. has re introduced Bison and was considering Wolf and Lynx
Elk was also introduced in Alaska

as well as other species in other places around the world

I am curious to hear your opinion in regards to "introduction" and/or "reintroduction" of animals, in general and specifically in your State. Has it been a good thing, a bad thing or ?

if the purpose to is to restore a species to land that it historically occupied and no longer does, for whatever reason, i'm basically in favor of it

the wolf thing in colorado is such a can of worms. i'm only against it out of a fundamental distaste for ballot initiatives, the seemingly lack of proper prior planning of said ballot initiative and its lack of flexibility in proper funding mechanisms

Native species that have been extirpated: Restore.
Nonnative, introduced and established species: manage to favor native species. (Except Oryx in NM until I get down there and get mine. And Himalayan Snowcock until @Big Fin and I get down there).

Interestingly, the Tendoys are getting their Bighorns back, a project I have been involved with. Link.

Also, for some history of this in Montana check out the book/dvd Montana Wildlife Legacy: https://montanaswildlifelegacy.com/

I'm all for it if sustainable and doesn't' cause undue harm to environment. Wish they would introduce blacktails closer to home.

There was an article I read a while back about introduction of animals in landscapes that will change due to global warming. If I recall it was to introduce bison to the Kenia pen. The habitat is changing so introduce animals that are adapted to the impending change.

Alaska has had a lot of (re)/introductions. Bison (both plains and wood), muskox (were extinct in AK about 100 years ago,and will likely go that way again), caribou/reindeer (many herds were brought to AK at the turn of the century from asia for farming, some escaped, some were released), blacktail deer (introduced to Kodiak), mountain goats (introduced to kodiak), elk (Kodiak islands and SE AK), moose (introduction attempted in Kodiak, they weren't faster than the bears). I'm sure there were many others in AK. I know that most of the mountain goat herds in the L48 were introduced.

Not to weasel out of anything but, "it depends".

Turkeys, brown trout, brook trout, and many others have been both good and bad, depending on your perspective. What would Gus and I do without pheasants?

Attachments

• Gus on a stump with bird  End of 2017-18 season.jpg
    Gus on a stump with bird End of 2017-18 season.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 1
Thank you. All comments are helpful and appreciated as we will be discussing this in an upcoming meeting.

I have read a lot of negative comments here regarding the Wolf being reintroduced into the wild, but nothing negative regarding any other species, that I remember

PB
There are lots of negatives in certain circles with many, many species from mongooses to elk. Its who you ask, where you ask it, and how you pose the question. Trout and salmon are both loved and despised for instance.

Thank you. All comments are helpful and appreciated as we will be discussing this in an upcoming meeting.

I have read a lot of negative comments here regarding the Wolf being reintroduced into the wild, but nothing negative regarding any other species, that I remember

Introduced game fish aren't very popular with aquatic ecologists. We don't discuss them much here, probably due to our biases (we like to eat them).

*Too slow. Brent beat me to the fish mention.

I still don't get why G&F stocks non-native fish. I'm all for pheasant until South Dakota wants to mow down all their crops in favor of prairie and native birds.

Last edited by a moderator:
Meeting coming up so I thought I would ask. Appreciated your input fellows.

Brent and FI460. You would be surprised what one hears in these meetings .

Some of those who wanted Elk so that hunters would have more options ( to hunt ) are now against hunting.

Our meetings about Trapping can almost become physical

rcw101: this is somewhat the problem right now up this way regarding the Elk. They ( Elk ) are destroying farms

Bambistew: sent you message

Thanks again

I'm all for it if sustainable and doesn't' cause undue harm to environment. Wish they would introduce blacktails closer to home.

There was an article I read a while back about introduction of animals in landscapes that will change due to global warming. If I recall it was to introduce bison to the Kenia pen. The habitat is changing so introduce animals that are adapted to the impending change.

Alaska has had a lot of (re)/introductions. Bison (both plains and wood), muskox (were extinct in AK about 100 years ago,and will likely go that way again), caribou/reindeer (many herds were brought to AK at the turn of the century from asia for farming, some escaped, some were released), blacktail deer (introduced to Kodiak), mountain goats (introduced to kodiak), elk (Kodiak islands and SE AK), moose (introduction attempted in Kodiak, they weren't faster than the bears). I'm sure there were many others in AK. I know that most of the mountain goat herds in the L48 were introduced.

In Colorado...
Elk
Moose
Goats
Sheep
Black footed Ferrets
Lynx
Brown,Rainbows, etc...

Essentially the state has wildlife because massive reintroduction/conservation efforts. Definitely not the same as goats on Kodiak or Caribou on Adak.

Doesn't surprise me. The wolf reintroduction is probably the most controversial because of the (sometimes) unreasonable reverence for elk in Wyoming. I can say that because I'm from Wyoming. Overall, I think it was probably a positive reintroduction, although they should have turned it over to the state much sooner. Same with grizzlies.

I don’t mind introduced species if they aren’t invasive and their presence isn’t counterproductive for natives. Some of our most beloved species are introduced.

Reintroductions can be a double edged sword. If the initial problems that caused the local extirpation haven’t been addressed, it’s a waste of time and resources. Alternatively if the species is going to be protected forever and allowed to overcorrect to the point of negative impacts on habitat/other wildlife, that’s not really what I would call success either.

Some would argue that introduction of mountain goats have negatively impacted bighorns in some places. There is the much publicized wolf reintroduction debate. Turkeys are generally a positive reintroduction success story, although in some places they are also responsible for some of the highest rates of game damage complaints (go figure). It’s all relative, and the pluses and minuses usually depend on the tolerance of the human component living with the species in question.

I'm generally in favor of restoring native species that have been extirpated. That said, the landscape has changed A LOT since many of these species have been extirpated thats where it gets complicated. Elk in the eastern states seem to be a good thing. Wolves in Colorado, however, is a sticky situation. The land is not what it was when those predators roamed the state. The land will still support them but at what cost? There is a lot to consider in this situation and stakeholder input is of the utmost importance. A common argument for not delisting the grizzly bear in the GYE is that they aren't restored to where they once roamed. Problem is, that'll never happen. As cool as it would be to release grizzlies in San Fran and Denver, I'm not sure the public would go for it.

If handled from an objective scientific process and the management thereof follows an objective path, I'm in support.

Non native is interesting. If musky offset pike, is it viable? Again, ill leave that to objective science to identify whether a positive future or not.

Did I say objective? Good luck.

The Columbia River is battling a plethora of invasives that are or will soon be, threatening the last of our salmon and steelhead runs. We also introduced and are working to eradicate Mt Goats from the Olympics. We just released a bunch of fishers across much of the State. We're working to relocate pygmy rabbits anywhere that will sustain them (then fencing them in to prevent as much mortality as possible. The only invasive I support, which is based solely on selfish hypocrisy, are chukars and huns. I could live without pheasants.

I spent part of my career as a fisheries biologist managing a popular trout fishery comprised of non-native fish at the great detriment to the few native fish that remained. Funny, I had no problem justifying the work while at the same time heckling the game guys across the office for wasting money trying to salvage a failing, non-native mountain goat population. All in the lens you're looking through, I guess. That said, I think the most satisfying project I ever did was rotenoning green sunfish from a small lake few knew existed and re-introducing a state-endangered minnow even fewer were aware of.

You always say stuff much better than I can. Totally agree.

So, it depends.
I don’t mind introduced species if they aren’t invasive and their presence isn’t counterproductive for natives. Some of our most beloved species are introduced.

Reintroductions can be a double edged sword. If the initial problems that caused the local extirpation haven’t been addressed, it’s a waste of time and resources. Alternatively if the species is going to be protected forever and allowed to overcorrect to the point of negative impacts on habitat/other wildlife, that’s not really what I would call success either.

Some would argue that introduction of mountain goats have negatively impacted bighorns in some places. There is the much publicized wolf reintroduction debate. Turkeys are generally a positive reintroduction success story, although in some places they are also responsible for some of the highest rates of game damage complaints (go figure). It’s all relative, and the pluses and minuses usually depend on the tolerance of the human component living with the species in question.

Meeting coming up so I thought I would ask. Appreciated your input fellows.

Brent and FI460. You would be surprised what one hears in these meetings .

Some of those who wanted Elk so that hunters would have more options ( to hunt ) are now against hunting.

Our meetings about Trapping can almost become physical

rcw101: this is somewhat the problem right now up this way regarding the Elk. They ( Elk ) are destroying farms

Bambistew: sent you message

Thanks again

Well, I'd love to hear a report of how the meeting went, in general terms if specifics are not appropriate for publicizing).

I can imagine how such meetings can get wound up pretty quick. The answers are not easy, the goals are often conflicting and the realities are always well defined or even known. And through it all runs politics, deep, fast, and treacherous.

Best of luck.

Brent

Back