Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

International Hunters Education Association endorses responsible ATV use.

Ten Bears

ATVs

http://www.huntershandbook.com/community/modules/sections/index.php?op=viewarticle&artid=41

Hunting and the Ethical Use of ATVs

ATVs have become some of the most important hunter tools, and one of the reasons is their versatility. Not only can ATVs be used to transport you and your hunting partners to the hunting area, they can also haul loads of gear. ATVs can be used to carry tree stands, waterfowl blinds and decoys, even enough camping gear to stay in the boonies. ATVs can also transport your downed game back to camp. Toting out deer is one of the most common hunting uses of ATVs.

Specialized ATVs, such as the Arctic Cat TBX, can carry 300 pounds in its huge back dump bed. A wide variety of accessories make ATVs more versatile. The Arctic Cat MultiRack Platform models (500 and 400 4x4 Automatic MRP) are engineered with innovative open-channel receiver racks on both front and rear. The open channels are designed to accept over 20 different slide-on accessory racks and specialty items, each designed to suit the needs of many. Gone are the days of bungee cords strung every which way. The 20 different accessories are aimed at six unique applications for farm and ranch, big game, waterfowl, fishing, camping and construction. In addition to these specific model rack systems, a wide variety of other accessories is available. One of the most important to hunters is a gun scabbard. For safety as well as protection for valuable guns, they should be transported unloaded in sturdy scabbards mounted solidly to the ATV. Bow racks, soft and hard cargo boxes, are also available to tote supplies and gear. Add a winch and you canextract game from inaccessible places.

A number of farming implement-type accessories, such as plows, discs, seeders, sprayers and planters are available sized for ATVs. These ATV implements make it easy to plant and maintain wildlife food plots, even do gardening and other chores around the home as well.

A wide variety of ATV models and sizes are available, including manual shift, automatic shift, 2WD, 4WD and switchable 2WD/4WD models. Most utility model ATVs used for hunting range from a little under 250 cc up to just under 500 cc. Prices vary with the different sizes and models. If considering an ATV for ground work on food plots, at least a 350 cc model should be chosen. The larger power models with 4WD drive are the best choices. The larger framed ATVs, such as the Arctic Cat 500 Automatic 4 x 4 are not only extremely powerful, but also have more carrying capacity.

ATVs are fun, and add to hunting enjoyment, but they should be used properly off-road to keep from damaging the fragile environment and also with respect to other hunters and outdoor recreationists.

ATVs are not toys. Serious injury or death can result from the improper use of ATVs. Youngsters should only ride ATVs recommended for their age group, and only with adult supervision. Do not ride double, except on models designed for that purpose. The proper riding gear, including a helmet, is also necessary. ATVs are designed for offroad use and are extremely dangerous on paved surfaces.

Beginning ATVers should consider taking the ATV RiderCourse, available nationwide for both youth and adults. Call the ATV Safety Institute toll free (800-887-2887) for information about the course. For more on ATV safety, www.atvsafety.org.

Why should we teach our kids that ATV's are part of hunting at all? The two have nothing to do with each other.

Ten Bears
The more I watch the trails multiply on public lands it makes me think that that small minority of illegal riders you talk about is really getting to be a majority. The ranks of ATVer's are not policing themselves at all, period. If the industry wants to promote education of the proper use of ATV's they should fund and hold their own classes and not piggyback on hunters safety classes.

Nemont

[ 08-19-2004, 13:15: Message edited by: Nemont ]

Just a tid bit. Our LE ranger ran into a couple of fellas riding quads in the Upper Missouri River Breaks Nat. Monument last weekend. They were on the road at the time, so legal. Apparently they had draw some archery elk tags and were scouting.

The ranger was cordial and asked them how things were going. They responded by getting defensive and asking who she worked for (apparently the BLM badge and a 12" door sticker with BLM written on it was not a give away). :rolleyes:

She asked if they were aware of the No Motorized Offroad regulations. They said, "sure, we know", but then they brought up the question, "is it alright if we travel cross country as long as we are just checking water holes"?

If these are the folks we need to educate, maybe we need to make sure they can spell the word "duh" before we allow them to purchase a quad. :rolleyes:

Another dissappointment is that they had Montana plates.

Nemont- John Barsness has written in a couple of magazines (kinda as a side note) about how many good pronghorn areas in West Dakota ;) have been ruined by people chasing them with ATVs. Is this accurate? Just asking as I've never been there.

miller- I bet those two guys won't go offroad to recover that downed elk either... :(

Originally posted by Ten Bears:
ATVs

ATVs have become some of the most important hunter tools
Ten Beers,
Just how lazy do hunters have to get for an ATV to become an important tool???? What a bunch of BS. If you need an ATV to hunt, you are not a hunter, but merely a FAt-Assed ATV Rider.

Specialized ATVs, such as the Arctic Cat TBX, can carry 300 pounds in its huge back dump bed.
Who goes hunting with a flippin' Dumpt Truck???? :rolleyes:

Add a winch and you canextract game from inaccessible places.
You wonder why the ATVs need banned???? Here you have the Manufacturers trying to tell kids in Hunter Safety classes to use ATVs in areas without Access. :mad: "Hey kid, point the gun in a safe direction, don't poach, but don't worry about access laws, as with an ATV, you are free to hunt the areas that are inaccessible to motorized vehicles....."

1-Pointer,
I used to like you before you called my beloved piece of god's country "West Dakota!!!!" :rolleyes: :D
Said in the Soup Nazi's voice: NO LOPE OR DUCK HUNTING FOR YOU!!!
Unfortunately it is true. There are places the have been totally completely ruined by off road vehicles especially ATV's. Whether the ATV crowd wants to admit a problem or not the unethical riders are ruining a lot of pristine country by their selfish acts.

Nemont

[ 08-20-2004, 09:55: Message edited by: Nemont ]

canextract
????????? I only bring this to your attention because the author of this word has brought to bear my grammatical transgressions in the past.

The number of ATV riders has shown doubling or tripling growth in recent years. 10% of 100,000 is still 10,000, and 5% of 100,000 is still 5,000, and it doesn't take many of either to cut trails through "west dakota". :D

I didn't write the article, but I teach hunters safety, and this is from the material I use in my class.
Whether the ATV crowd wants to admit a problem or not the unethical riders are ruining a lot of pristine country by their selfish acts.
Many of us have admitted for years that there are unresponsible riders, and are working through education programs to teach responsible riding. Does finger pointing fix the problem? Do blanket accusations address the issue? Has hunters education stopped all hunting accidents, or anti-poaching programs halted poaching?

[ 08-20-2004, 10:02: Message edited by: Ten Bears ]

Nemont- Sorry about that jab. ;) Can I still come out for some prairie doggin'??? :D Was just curious if that was the case.

TB- Hunter's have also had to face restrictions on when/where they can hunt game because of more demand than available resources. Would you support having to draw a permit to ride in certain areas like hunters and river rafters have to do? That would be one way to limit the 5-10% of the unethical riders, as 10% of 1,000 is only 100.

I think it is really odd that just because one puts up some thing that obviously came from some where else, there is an element that just seems to thing they have to jump down the throat of the poster...
All I saw was a cut and paste. If you guy's have real issues with this post, you should chase the source and get on them. I could see it, if TenBears had put up some of his own ideals into the post, but they just weren't there....

1-P, first you develop the logistics of the permit system, and then I'll give it a review. With hunting it has been season lengths and numbers of animals you can take, and with rafters it's been numbers allowed on a certain river. I can see if someone is hunting (poaching) when season is closed, and for the life of me, don't expect the rafts to be traveling cross country, when they came to ride the river. :D Locally we enjoy hunting deer and elk from the end of August through December, as general hunts (just pick which tag you want and buy it, buy a variety if you've got the money), and our rivers are unrestricted to the number of recreational floaters on them. Let's examine a list of those rivers that do have permit restrictions and why they do.

TB- I guess that's what I'm saying. Would you be for closed 'seasons' on ATV use or limiting the #s allowed in certain areas like the Owhyees? I would be as it wouldn't affect me.

Gunner,

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Add a winch and you canextract game from inaccessible places.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You wonder why the ATVs need banned???? Here you have the Manufacturers trying to tell kids in Hunter Safety classes to use ATVs in areas without Access. "Hey kid, point the gun in a safe direction, don't poach, but don't worry about access laws, as with an ATV, you are free to hunt the areas that are inaccessible to motorized vehicles....."
Why do you think its where there is no atv access? you are putting your own words into something that might not be. I really dont belive they are saying break the law. I am sure you dont belive that either but it makes a good argument when you tak something out of context. ;)

in AZ it is legal for you to drive a vehicle off road to get your game animal, I would rather see a quad out there than a 4x4 truck with 38" tires. wouldnt you?

You know one reason they allow this in AZ?
cause its to damn hot, by the time you pack out 1/4 of an elk its spoiled even in nov.
with an atv or other vehicle you can get in and out quickly and not spoil the meat.

I used my dads ATV to pack my elk out, it worked great to. only had to make one trip. it was in the 80's when I shot it and climbing.
This year I will be using it again.
My hunts in 4 weeks and its still 105-108 outside.
Where I am hunting antelope 50 miles from my elk spot it will easily be 100 degrees.

Delw

We have some areas with closed seasons for ATV's locally here. My point is that if enforcement is inadequate now, how do you hope to address the restrictions? From what I understand, the Owyhees are a big area. I wouldn't be for nominating somebody elses backyard for restriction, and making more restrictions in the Owyhees would effect me minimally at best.

I support designating travel/use routes/trails/roads for ATV travel.

I do not support unrestricted cross country travel.

I do not support unrestricted creek/river crossings nor mud bogging (only in designated areas).

If it gets to the point that travel routes and designated areas become so conjested that it constitutes a problem..... They do limited the number of snowmobiles that enter Yellowstone. As it is now, there are many hundreds (even thousands in the big picture) of miles of gated roads that could easily be desginated open for road travel by ATVs.

DEL, you point about packing time and meat spoilage is exactly why I don't try to regulate activity in some one elses backyard. :D

Del,

You better check the regs closer, in particular the FS travel plan map. I work in AZ every year, and theres plenty of areas where you cant legally drive an atv off established routes...for ANY reason. The hunting regs explicitely state that you must check with the managing agency to see what travel restrictions are in place.

As to the meat spoilage problem, thats a piss poor excuse. Anyone not smart enough or physically fit enough to deal with packing an elk, antelope, deer, etc. out of the woods in 90 degree weather, needs to educate themselves and lay off the Krispy Kremes.

There is no excuse for meat spoilage even in hot weather, other than ignorance and plain laziness.

Not trying to slam anyone, but its ridiculous to think that you "need" and atv so your animal wont spoil...thats BS.

Del, for your reading pleasure, plucked from the AZGF regulations:

Off-Highway Vehicle (OHV) Questions
Question
What are the rules and laws concerning OHVs?

Answer
Each agency that manages public land has its own rules, regulations and laws to enforce. Rules and laws change. Before using public lands, check with the local land management agency office about rules and requirements. Keep current about changes in OHV regulations. Most areas restrict OHV use to established roads and trails. Some areas have seasonal closures because of wet roads or wildlife breeding or nesting areas.

I'd make sure you're up to speed on the FS, BLM, and State land regulations on their OHV policies....

Buzz most of the national forrest and most if not all blm land say its ok to get animals out of the forrest with a vehicle.

No one said you need to do it its a personal choice. For me if I have one in possesion at the time I use it.
you guys really like to make it sound way off context. ;)

An atv is just a convience, just like you jumping in your truck and heading to work or a place to hunt. it doesnt make anyone more stupid or smarter.

I like to travel the roads and shoot coyotes to, I can cover more ground that way. Is this wrong? nope cause I would do it with a truck also. Atvs just make it alot easier to go down roads not tearing up your truck, if they outlawed atvs I would still do it with a truck or car. I do it with a boat on the water so whats the difference?

Hey I like krispy Kremes ;)

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lincoln's Poppi
Back