Interesting pics

BuzzH

You know, working in the woods sometimes you come across some real characters.

Last week I was working near Yellow Pine Idaho and on our way back to McCall my buddy and I ran across this broke down truck with a guy under the hood.

We stopped, beings how its kind of in the middle of nowhere. What I saw was amazing. Heres this guy, obviously a native of yellow pine, cussing at his 1969 datsun pickup. The fact the rig was running at all was an engineering miracle. He said the problem was the "distributer popping out on the wash-board roads". Oh, really? You mean duct tape wont hold a distributer in place?

Of course there was another small electrical problem as well, the bare wires wrapped around the spark plugs and held on with duct tape wasnt working either.

So, we proceed to "rewire" his rig for him, apply some new duct tape to everything and he gets in to "start" it. Keys arent really necessary either, just touch three wires together and you'll get all the "spark" you need.

I also cant help but notice the 1/2 inch fuel line and external fuel pump on this beauty. I inquire about it and he says the fuel pump was taken off a motor home. He said he had to move the fuel pump from the fire wall to the outside, because, "the air cools it better". Apparently he had trouble with vapor locking on the hijacked motor home fuel pump. Also fair to note is that there was no return line connected so any extra fuel was free to drip onto the ground.

I tell you what working on this thing was pretty exciting...anytime you touched any of, what was once the wiring, you got some pretty serious sparks. We had to wire a whole bunch of things together and anytime the exposed wires touched anything the sparks would really fly. To solve that problem, this old boy just handed us an oil soaked cotton glove and told us to "put them wires in the glove". Good as new.

Anyway, after about 45 minutes of fixing up this beauty, I told the guy, "You should work for NASA if you can get this thing to run". He just laughed.

The last thing he asked us was if we had any water...I said sure, we have some. So, I handed him some water I'd put in an old gatorade container. He says, "is it fit to drink?". I told him it was so he took a long pull of the water and then opened the radiator cap and dumped the rest in the radiator. He said he just ran regular water in it rather than anti-freeze and it "boiled out every so often".

So, after a quick thanks, a quick touching of three wires, the guy heads off for riggins Idaho to pick up his "good car...a 1947 plymouth".

Last I saw the guy was whistling down the road happy as a clam.

A few pics...and the whole time I couldnt help but think this must be Elkcheese's Dad...friggin' hilarious. The toughest part about working on his rig and taking the pictures was trying not to laugh. Its also tough to work on an outfit of this kind with tears in your eyes from laughing so hard.

The back of the truck:

cheesedad2.jpg

My work partner and cheeses dad getting the wiring right:

cheesedad1.jpg

cheese's dad hard at work:

cheesedad3.jpg

And last but not least, a photo of cheese's dad and his suspender...apparently the other half of the suspenderS is optional. Also, notice the green external fuel pump in the lower right.

cheesedad44.jpg

Last edited:
I would be interested in seeing his financial portfolio. I wonder with the current economy if he mostly in bonds right now?

NICE!!! I've heard of some good times up around Yellow Pine. BOY's uncle will only wear a hunter orange hat with Yellow Pine, Idaho on the front. After a few cocktails, we get around to the good stories... :D

Classic stories, great times are always had in Yellow Pine. You were a bit too early for the Harmonica festival, my guess is that the Cheese's dad was leaving town before all the tourists got there and took all the good places to sleep......

Where did you stay while there? My grandfather used to run the ranger station on Johnson Creek. One of my earliest (and few memories of my grandfather) was him with smoked salmon he had caught out of the creek in front of the ranger station.

One of the first fish I ever remember catching was on an old bridge approach right in front of the ranger station.

Which way were you working from YP?

JC,

We stayed in McCall and just drove up there each day. We worked about 10 miles from Yellow Pine, cant remember the name of the creek right now.

Nice area and we did hear about the harmonica festival...but missed it.

Maybe next time.

Oh, and dinkshooter, I think the cheese's dad was investing heavily in aluminum...judging by the stash of cans at his place in YP.

good stuff, LOL. I guess the air filter is optional in that clean air eh!?

the fuel pump is classic, also looks like a custom mount for the coil has been fabricated!!

too much!

Ha, thats a classic.
He's probably back at his compound telling his buddies about the weird educated fellers that stopped, helped him work on his truck, took pictures of his ass, then left.

thats funny. But really, he would be handy to have around in case of an emergency or nuclear aftermath.

LOL. And if you look, his solo suspender is tied onto the belt loop. Must not change pants very often.

I have been sitting here in my office laughing my head off. That is a good story. I wonder what he thought about the whole thing.

I have been sitting here in my office laughing my head off. That is a good story. I wonder what he thought about the whole thing.

Probably thought Buzz had a real pretty mouth..:D... Now think.[ "Deliverance Music"]:D

Rosco... The air cleaner is where it should be. In the back of the bed right next to the spare battery next to the jumper cables next to the battery charger. Lol.. I think he resembles that guy on that new series The Colony.:D Now that right there is funny!

Looks like that guy knows how to live within his means. Wish I had the kind of discipline to make due with what I have instead of wanting newer, better all the time. I'd be a lot better off if I was still living in my first home, and still driving the same cars.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrGeauxNewMexico
Back