NEW SITKA Ambient 75

Interesting findings in the outdoors

elk_hunter

Thankfully we don't have censors here, so I'm going to start this thread on our site. :D

What are interesting things you've found/seen/heard while in the outdoors? Drug labs, dead people, frolicking couples, artifacts, nudists, sasquatch, etc? :D

I'll start this off; when I got my first hunting license at 12, I was hunting in Oregon on the west side of the Cascades in a really brushy drainage that had a creek running through it. I was following a deer trail and it went down a slope and crossed the creek. When I got up the hill on the other side, I looked down the ravine and noticed something odd. I could see something wasn't quite right and when I looked closer, I could see some edges of a blue tarp covered with moss and trees -- they did a decent job with the camo because you had to take a couple extra looks to figure out what was out of place. There was PVC pipe running from the stream into a hut/cabin that was built right next to the water. I hate it when you get that spooky feeling like you're being watched...so, I high tailed it out of there. I told OSP about it but never heard of them busting this drug operation.

In my early 20's I once found a $100 bill while out quail/rabbit hunting near Bartlett Lake in Arizona. Another time, I was probably about 14, my boy scout troop took some canoes across Bartlett and than went for a hike. We had split into a couple of groups and there was 4 of us together. We came up over a little hill and down in the creek bottom about 50 yards away there was a couple doing the horizontal mambo. I think that was the precise moment that I became a man!

Before I could even hunt I would go with my dad and grandpa on deer hunts and ride behind them on the saddle of the horses. I had a nice little sling shot I was given for my birthday I think and took it on a deer hunt in case any grouse came along that I could fling a rock at. Well, I was in the saddle with the sling shot slung over the horn and some time later I noticed it was gone. About 10 years later I was in the same area looking at the wreckage of a plane that went down in the 70's and wouldn't you know it - I look down and found the very same wrist rocket I had lost so many years ago. Weathered and worn out but I found it. I don't know where it is now though, dang it!

We came across some nudy sun-bathers on the NF of the Boise River about 5 years ago. We had hiked in about 5-6 miles fishing each hole and on our way out we scared a gal as she was squatting only to see a sausage fest and gals who really should have kept their clothes on at the next swimming hole. I'm glad I fished it on the way up! I'm surprised those fatties made it in there anyway. Freaks!

I was squirrel hunting back in my teens and as I went through a large pine forest I found a Nabisco Horse drawn wagon. It had the floor, sides and the roof that was flat and towards the fron made a curve upwards and arched foward and down. You could still faintly make out the painting of Nabisco on the side. Whenever I was hunting and it started to rain, I would go there and sit out the rain. The wagon was surrounded by huge Pines. That area was clear cut many years ago, I always like to think they notified someone and got it out of there intact. John

A couple of plane crash sites, some fossilized clam shells, old cartridges, old foundations and fish ponds in a long-deserted townsite in the mountains, a old Jim Beam bottle with the cork stopper, - just the normal stuff.

Landing gear, melted metal, electrical switches/connections, chunks and in one case a sonewhat intact fuselage. One was a WWII bomber that flew into the side of Mt San Gorgonio and pretty much self-detructed. The other was a pre-WWII mail plane. The bodies and mail had already been recovered.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kws82590
Back