Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Interesting article about Biden's Outlines to Preserve/Conserve more Wild Places (with the help of Farmers, Ranchers, and in areas outside the western

Your headline is misleading.

“Rather than simply measuring conservation progress by national parks, wilderness lands, and marine protected areas in the care of the government, the president’s vision recognizes and celebrates the voluntary conservation efforts of farmers, ranchers, and forest owners,” the secretaries of interior, agriculture and commerce, and the chair of the Council on Environmental Quality, say in the report’s introductory letter. “The president’s challenge is a call to action to support locally led conservation and restoration efforts of all kinds.”

The report further commits to protecting local economic rights, specifically saying ranching on public and private lands in the West is essential. And it says the country must make its conservation efforts more diverse, both geographically and to reach more underserved and disadvantaged communities.

“Efforts to conserve and restore America’s lands and waters must respect the rights of private property owners,” the report says. “Instead of focusing land conservation efforts primarily on western public lands—as has been a past practice of federal agencies—agencies should support collaborative conservation efforts across the country on private, state, local, tribal, and territorial lands.

Your headline is misleading.

“Rather than simply measuring conservation progress by national parks, wilderness lands, and marine protected areas in the care of the government, the president’s vision recognizes and celebrates the voluntary conservation efforts of farmers, ranchers, and forest owners,” the secretaries of interior, agriculture and commerce, and the chair of the Council on Environmental Quality, say in the report’s introductory letter. “The president’s challenge is a call to action to support locally led conservation and restoration efforts of all kinds.”

The report further commits to protecting local economic rights, specifically saying ranching on public and private lands in the West is essential. And it says the country must make its conservation efforts more diverse, both geographically and to reach more underserved and disadvantaged communities.

“Efforts to conserve and restore America’s lands and waters must respect the rights of private property owners,” the report says. “Instead of focusing land conservation efforts primarily on western public lands—as has been a past practice of federal agencies—agencies should support collaborative conservation efforts across the country on private, state, local, tribal, and territorial lands.
The original title was the same as the Wall Street Journal used. But I changed it to make it more in line with what the article actually states.

Reactions: Oak
Biden’s plan on the outside seems very ambitious but if you think about it it is very obtainable through crp, conservation easements and other programs already in place for private landowners.

if every rural homeowner would put half of their yard into habitat instead of a mowed monoculture that alone would be a huge step. When I drive around the Midwest countryside and see houses with mlb sized back yards I see a lot of wasted fuel in mowers, time, and potential habitat for many species of birds, reptiles, amphibians, mammals and insects that have been greatly impacted by habitat loss. Not to judge others I myself am guilty and am actively trying to improve habitat around my yard by not spraying, planting native plants in my landscaping and I am trying to recreate an oak savana on a large part of my property.

Is Joe going to move the BLM peeps that never moved to GJ back to the swamp they never left?

I would hope so. All of that institutional wisdom, knowledge of current laws, past history, etc all thrown away by a guy who thought you could cure COVID by drinking Lysol hasn't really worked out like some had hoped. ;)

Biden’s plan on the outside seems very ambitious but if you think about it it is very obtainable through crp, conservation easements and other programs already in place for private landowners.

if every rural homeowner would put half of their yard into habitat instead of a mowed monoculture that alone would be a huge step. When I drive around the Midwest countryside and see houses with mlb sized back yards I see a lot of wasted fuel in mowers, time, and potential habitat for many species of birds, reptiles, amphibians, mammals and insects that have been greatly impacted by habitat loss. Not to judge others I myself am guilty and am actively trying to improve habitat around my yard by not spraying, planting native plants in my landscaping and I am trying to recreate an oak savana on a large part of my property.

Good post. Much of the best habitat (historically) is in private hands where it has been altered for agriculture, development, esthetics. Simply planting native trees, shrubs, and understory can make a huge difference. The premise - Most of the insects that comprise the bulk of the food chain rely on native flora for reproduction or sustenance. Think Monarch and how they can only utilize Milkweed to reproduce. The same is true for many other native insects. Exotic plants are of little to no use, although some can be beneficial. Think how screwed the ocean would be without herring and plankton. The article below talks about how chickadees depend on native flora to rear their young.

New research coming out pegging specific bees to specific plants. Every yard matters! It's all connected!
Finding a way to work together and achieve a version of 30x30 would be huge.

Good post. Much of the best habitat (historically) is in private hands where it has been altered for agriculture, development, esthetics. Simply planting native trees, shrubs, and understory can make a huge difference. The premise - Most of the insects that comprise the bulk of the food chain rely on native flora for reproduction or sustenance. Think Monarch and how they can only utilize Milkweed to reproduce. The same is true for many other native insects. Exotic plants are of little to no use, although some can be beneficial. Think how screwed the ocean would be without herring and plankton. The article below talks about how chickadees depend on native flora to rear their young.

New research coming out pegging specific bees to specific plants. Every yard matters! It's all connected!
Finding a way to work together and achieve a version of 30x30 would be huge.
You’ve struck a chord with me! I spend a lot of my time educating about planting natives from trees to grasses. But we also need to plant a diverse forest and prairie. The monarch gets a lot of attention; it’s big beautiful and everyone knows it when they see one. However, exactly like you said native plants and animals have adapted and evolved to eat a variety of native plants. For example, in Iowa we have about 35 kinds of butterflies and about 2/3 of those are on the species of greatest concern list mostly because of habit loss. Our critters rely on multiple species of plants, our plants rely on multiple species of critters. It has taken thousands of years but everything is connected in nature! PLANT NATIVE!

You’ve struck a chord with me! I spend a lot of my time educating about planting natives from trees to grasses. But we also need to plant a diverse forest and prairie. The monarch gets a lot of attention; it’s big beautiful and everyone knows it when they see one. However, exactly like you said native plants and animals have adapted and evolved to eat a variety of native plants. For example, in Iowa we have about 35 kinds of butterflies and about 2/3 of those are on the species of greatest concern list mostly because of habit loss. Our critters rely on multiple species of plants, our plants rely on multiple species of critters. It has taken thousands of years but everything is connected in nature! PLANT NATIVE!

I live on a property that is too big for me to effectively keep "managed" on a college kid budget and a tight schedule (like six acres). A few years ago I conceded about half of it back to nature. Large part of my yard is now basically a big sprawling blackberry patch. Have rabbits and bobwhites every year now. Pair of bobwhites raised a brood of 13 in my yard this spring.

Now when people pick at me about my yard being overgrown, I tell them it is a quail habitat project I'm working on ;)

I live on a property that is too big for me to effectively keep "managed" on a college kid budget and a tight schedule (like six acres). A few years ago I conceded about half of it back to nature. Large part of my yard is now basically a big sprawling blackberry patch. Have rabbits and bobwhites every year now. Pair of bobwhites raised a brood of 13 in my yard this spring.

Now when people pick at me about my yard being overgrown, I tell them it is a quail habitat project I'm working on ;)
One mans weed is another’s supper!

I trimmed back a choke cherry tree that was enveloping a willow tree in my front yard last spring. Unfortunately I didn’t see that a robin had a nest in the branches of the willow. Without the protection of the chokecherry the nest blew out during a windstorm and the eggs were broken.
This year that same robin has five partial and one complete nest on the beam under my covered porch.
I figure a little bird doo on my deck is a fair price for making amends.😄53C680FD-6288-47F2-A941-999D153CFBF0.jpeg

I wonder if a couple free roaming bison would help keep that monoculture in the front yard under control?

Last edited:
I'll rephrase, with the lack of Mr. Bidens ability to steer anywhere near where he had campaigned on, i would have to believe this is just another big lie.

You don’t think we can save the lands along the way to banning menthols and caging children? Mighty pessimistic of you.

I trimmed back a choke cherry tree that was enveloping a willow tree in my front yard last spring. Unfortunately I didn’t see that a robin had a nest in the branches of the willow. Without the protection of the chokecherry the nest blew out during a windstorm and the eggs were broken.
This year that same robin has five partial and one complete nest on the beam under my covered porch.
I figure a little bird doo on my deck is a fair price for making amends.😄View attachment 182637

I wonder if a couple free roaming bison would help keep that monoculture in the front yard under control?
Hell yea. The dung Beatles would love it! Many native plant seeds evolved to attach to the coarse hair of bison. The only downside would be the stinky hippies who follow the bison in their Subaru to stop you from chasing it back into your yard when they cross the boundary.

Hell yea. The dung Beatles would love it! Many native plant seeds evolved to attach to the coarse hair of bison. The only downside would be the stinky hippies who follow the bison in their Subaru to stop you from chasing it back into your yard when they cross the boundary.
Where I live there’s just about equal chances between getting sued by a finicky yuppie for my lawn mowers trampling his petunias, harassed by hippies for trying to contain the bison, having the bison converted to steaks by either a redneck or an adult onset hunter/locavore or roped by a rancher. 😂

Back