Insoles.. What do you use?

Get a good quality boot and most come with decent insoles.

I echo what Miller said. If you prep the body including the feet for hunting conditions with a pack, then foot problems are few.

I learned something new this week about Meindel boots. I was on a hike in heavy rainfall and soaked them good. I put them out in the sun to dry. It hit 95 degrees that day and the corner I put them in had a lot of reflective heat going. That evening I come back to find them curled up and shrunk a couple sizes.

Cabelas cust service took good care of me and shipped a new pair. Dunno if 3 weeks of break-in time is enough for them to make it on the sheep hunt.

I disagree, My Sheephunters and Asolo's came with insoles about as thick and cushy as a communion wafer. I put different ones in and the comfort level went way up.
I have yet to have a week long trip that i had any trouble with blisters or sore feet.
And to a guy who shrank his Meidles.... You need to waterproof the leather, dont rely on the factory silicon they put on them. Make them dark and ugly with a good bees wax or other product.

Its amazing you spend $200 on a pair of good boots and all they give you with them are 10 cent cardboard cutouts they call insoles. I'm OK with what comes stock but I prefer to upgrade to something with a bit more cush. Its worth another $20-$30 to buy a pair of quality insoles.

Where do I sign up for the outlast/load contest?

mtmiller said:
Put some money up bitch, I will out last/out load you any day of the week.:rolleyes:

The scary thing with Miller is i cant be sure we are talking about the same thing:eek:

I must say that I'm very impressed with the level of physical fitness and manly strength being endorsed and bragged about in some of the above posts, but the nearly total lack of cognitive skills really depresses me.
We're talking about foot comfort and how it pertains to boot insoles here... NOT how big, tough, strong and macho any of us think we are!! Maybe if some of us would would stop dragging our knuckles in the dirt and learn how to walk on two legs instead of four, we just might (even though I doubt it)- keep this thread on topic for a change.
mtmiller -for your information- I've walked up more mountains than you'll ever see... AND MY FEET WERE COMFORTABLE THE WHOLE TIME. Ya big gorillia, don't you even know it when someone is attempting to AGREE with you or not? DD

apeNEW.jpg

:D :D :D

I won't call you out Deer King, but I know this little guy can take out that CheeseAss Schmalts.:D

I must say I'm pretty impressed with the level and indorsement of conditioning and manly physical strength recently being bragged about in the above posts, but the near TOTAL lack of cognative skills idicative of the comments being made REALLY depresses me.
If some of us would take the time to stop dragging our knuckles in the dirt, start walking on two legs instead of four, and actually take the time to read a post, perhaps THEN (even though I really doubt it) we might remain on-topic for a change!! What does being big, though and strong have to do with boot insoles and foot comfort?
mtmiller, I've walked up more mountains while hunting than you will ever see. Ya' big gorilia, don't you even know it when someone is actually AGREEING with you?? DD

Dave, I know Pat well, so I will throw him shit. I don't know you, but you are apparently very impressed with yourself. Glad you have climbed more mountains than I have ever seen, give yourself a pat on the back.

Good luck with your trips this year and let me be the second one here to say, "you the man".:D

Craig Miller
author of How To Give Schmalts Shit (unpublished)

DD...good luck tiptoeing out of that ego minefield you've inadvertantly stumbled into.:D

I keep waiting for Schmalts to say that those feet of miller's have chased down women that would kill the average man LOL ;) :D

MarvB said:
I keep waiting for Schmalts to say that those feet of miller's have chased down women that would kill the average man LOL ;) :D
I am working on something better... tune in tonight

I will out last/out load you any day of the week.

Your the kind of guy I'v been looking for. I'm not looking to compete, just need somone to haul meat out for me........ Are ya interested?

On the subject of sore feet, I always use double socks, one pair of cotton, nylon blend on first followed by a pair of heavier wool, nylon blend. Keep them dry, carry extra pairs if necassary and change, getting wet feet will soften your callusess, blisters will follow.

shoots-straight said:
Your the kind of guy I'v been looking for. I'm not looking to compete, just need somone to haul meat out for me........ Are ya interested?

Hell no, I can only out hike any man alive 'cause I never kill anything. Have you every seen an elk, deer or bear...them things are darn heavy.:D Why would anyone try to kill something where you can't drop the tailgate and load them up?:confused:

Personally.... I think socks, shoes and insoles are for sissies.:D

I don't use any and my feet are just fine..;)
hobbit.jpg

mtmiller said:
Put some money up bitch, I will out last/out load you any day of the week.:rolleyes:

You might be surprised where these feet have taken me.
No i am not surprised where your feet have taken you..... here is a photo of your favorite bar in Havre on live music night, you feet took your there. What the hell are you doing to the indians head dress? Showing off your "out load" skills?
Miller.jpg

Whoa... The dude in the middle recently got tossed in the slammer down here on drug and weapons charges. I just know he will be popular in prison.
Wonder if he's wearing comfortable insoles in those shiny black boots he's wearing?
All you guys crack me up, and NO, I'm not all that impressed with myself. Ain't as "dangerous" as I used to be and I'm gettin' a little long in the tooth. Still, I'm alert enough to know when one of my comments on this site is being misinterpeted -not that it matters all that much. I'm not the man... I'll let someone else be the man.

Schmalts,

I agree with you 100% on the leather treatment. I prefer Nikwax myself.

Sounds like I may be missing out on the soft ride of better insoles. My feet havn't had much for problems as long as I choose good boots and socks and stick with changing out socks frequently.

Back