Indiana Game Farm Bill

If they can't just look at all the surrounding states in this part of the country and see what negative ramifications these places have had, then they should all be voted out of Office if they're that stupid! This is not like it's something new with no background or history to go by. There must be enough money going into pockets and campaign funds to get the number of votes to get it passed in that committee. I hope you can stop it if it comes to a full vote. Does the present Governor have any stance on this type of Legislation?

This passed the House and out of the Senate Natural Resources committee by a 6-3 vote. Here's a list of some amendments that were added:
-DNR cannot make ANY rules that prohibit or impede the operations of the high fence facilities.
-Requires no deer imports into preserves. Only Hoosier farm-raised deer may be shot.
-Fences at deer preserves would have to be 10 foot (currently 8) and they'd need to be 125 contingous acres
-Deer can't be hunted within 24 hours of being sedated.
-If CWD does get into a hunting preserve and the state kills them, no reimbursements from taxpayers.
-If anyone owns 160 acres and a 10 foot fence they can get in the deer shooting business. This opens the door to more deer shooting preserves.

As written it appears that the preserves could use any legal weapon ANYTIME they are open. There's no option requiring a distance between the fence and the treeline fence increasing the chance of a tree falling on the fence and leading to escapes. No option to prevent from using drones in aiding hunting.

This could be heard in the Senate as early as today. So if you have a concern about conservation or deer hunting in Indiana, please contact the Senators. To find your Senator see the link in the OP.

Well I tried again...
4/1/15
Senator,
Please do not support any bill that establishes big game hunting preserves in Indiana. The importation of cervidae has been proven in other states to spread disease. While I understand there is a need to address the current legal status of existing game farms, I cannot support expanding the current regulations to allow for more of them to be established. Passage of this bill will both biologically and financially affect Indiana if any disease such as CWD is present in any imported deer. I do not believe there is a provision in the bill that mandates that the areas around the 10’ fence be kept clear of trees. All it would take would be for one large tree to fall on a fence and the animals could escape.
Rep. Ubelhor has already lost my support and vote due to his bill introduced regarding this issue in past sessions. I cannot stand behind anyone who supports the importation of animals that have to potential to affect our ecosystem and rich hunting opportunities in Indiana.
Thanks for taking time out of your busy week to read this email.

1 pt, any update on the HPR issue? I haven't heard anything lately.
The public hearings for the rule changes have occurred and I think the commision met on 3/25, but I have not heard a result. The rifle rule was part of the every two year rule revision and was lumped in with a whole bunch of other stuff.

If you here something let me know...it will determine what shootin iron I will bring east with me if we get home for Thanksgiving this year :)

Talk about a generic response...

"Thank you for taking the time to write regarding this bill facing the legislature this session. You make valid points. Please be assured that, should this bill come before me, I will take your views into consideration.

If there is anything else I can do to assist you, do not hesitate to contact me again."

Talk about a generic response...

"Thank you for taking the time to write regarding this bill facing the legislature this session. You make valid points. Please be assured that, should this bill come before me, I will take your views into consideration.

If there is anything else I can do to assist you, do not hesitate to contact me again."

Might as well say....BlahBlahBlah :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joe Orth
Back