Indiana deer hunting.

I CAN'T WAIT for firearms opener.. It has been way too long since I got to hunt at home. Hopefully Simo will get some action. 😀

It’s definitely starting to get good here in West Central Indiana seeing bucks moving a lot but no chasing yet

Been hunting behind the house on and off. When the acorns were falling we had deer in the yard almost every day, but I did not hunt due to the heat. Next year I will have a cooler or an old fridge set up so I won't have to worry. I have passed a few button bucks up and had a really nice mature doe at 18 yards but since she was directly between me and my neighbors house ( picture window) I did not shoot for fear of the once in a lifetime deflection off a log....

Looking forward to sitting back there the next week or so, then heading to Jasper Pulaski for rifle opener and then go back during the week. Looks weird having the leaves pretty much still on the trees. We moved here exactly a year ago and all the trees had dropped last year by this time.

Been hunting behind the house on and off. When the acorns were falling we had deer in the yard almost every day, but I did not hunt due to the heat. Next year I will have a cooler or an old fridge set up so I won't have to worry. I have passed a few button bucks up and had a really nice mature doe at 18 yards but since she was directly between me and my neighbors house ( picture window) I did not shoot for fear of the once in a lifetime deflection off a log....

Looking forward to sitting back there the next week or so, then heading to Jasper Pulaski for rifle opener and then go back during the week. Looks weird having the leaves pretty much still on the trees. We moved here exactly a year ago and all the trees had dropped last year by this time.
I live in porter county and was thinking the same thing about the leaves. I have a couple of maples in my yard that haven’t even changed color yet let alone start dropping leaves. I dropped my elk off to get processed and the guy is also a taxidermist. He had 4 huge beautiful bucks on the wall all from Jasper Pulaski that had died from EHD. Nice to know there are bucks like that on public hunting land.

I live in porter county and was thinking the same thing about the leaves. I have a couple of maples in my yard that haven’t even changed color yet let alone start dropping leaves. I dropped my elk off to get processed and the guy is also a taxidermist. He had 4 huge beautiful bucks on the wall all from Jasper Pulaski that had died from EHD. Nice to know there are bucks like that on public hunting land.
For sure. I used to hunt a 1000 acre public area around Kansas City that was walk in only and it held some bruisers as I have the sheds, one a true 165-170 depending on spread. Seeings how JP is 9x bigger I am sure they are in there.

I had some pictures of this deer sent to me from a family friend, then I found this write up on meat eater. Looks like it will be the new state record.

I had some pictures of this deer sent to me from a family friend, then I found this write up on meat eater. Looks like it will be the new state record.
Damn that thing is impressive.

^^^ And around Greensburg to boot......not where I would have suspected. Some guys on an Indiana forum I frequent know the guy and have said he is a good sort.

CDFEEAD8-C58E-450D-B848-85BCC64FAB07.jpegI had my best year ever but it wasn’t in Indiana. I moved back here to Indiana in March 2019 when my job became mobile. But was fortunate to buy the last Illinois lifetime license in 2006, so I began putting that to use. That 2019 year my mother-in-law came from China to spend 6 months with us so I wanted to stay close to home, LaPorte. Hunted the bow only zone at JP. As an experienced hunter, I knew where the big guys would bed, on the islands in the marshes. Spent a ton of time scouting but come hunt season got very poor results. The biggest buck I saw was only 130”, which I passed on. Not gonna put a 130” on the wall. The vast majority of the bucks I saw were pencil thin eight pointers. It was disappointing but not unexpected. 16 Firearm days in peak rut will do that. But what I did learn during that time was the turkey hunting here on public is outstanding. A one bird limit will do that! I would encourage any residents to take advantage of the high quality turkey hunting here if you have not already.

I’m 62 with two damaged rotator cuffs but still old school. Took both my 2021 P&Y bucks with my compound bow, along with my first archery turkey. Pretty sweet redemption after losing my 2020 season to Covid. Best season ever in my 32 years of bowhunting.

I did have my work area shifted to include all of Indiana & Michigan, so will be doing some extensive scouting this winter. I might reconsider Indiana for deer IF I locate some public with water access only. I got a tiny boat I like to use to get away from others. Otherwise, no thanks. Lol

Last edited:
Any of you guys been doing any good this deer season?
This has been, by far, the worst season in my area in southern IN. I have over 100 acres and deer are scarce. Even our trail cams have been mostly silent. Certain areas, especially near ag fields seem to be strong. Usually around me, opening day of gun season sounds like a gun range. Not this year. It's been extremely quiet. Hunted this morning until 9 and never heard a muzzle loader nor did I see a deer. A LOT more hunters, bobcat, and coyotes (and possibly some illness?) seem to have taken a toll in my area. Only thing I've been seeing in our fields are yearlings and fawns.

Its been good so far. I have taken two deer in the reduction zone, a doe and a little 5 pointer. I am an equal opportunity arrow flinger, especially with the last 4 years pretty much only hunting with my daughters ( but I wouldn't change that). We were out of Venison and we eat alot of it.

Nov 11 I was in my stand and just after first light and I saw deer headed my way and it was a doe being pushed by a monster bodied buck. Huge neck. They were at 60 yards and I was too busy watching them to glass up headgear but I could see tall tines and long beams. He was grunting. They entered a thick bedding area next to me and all heck broke loose, two does busted out and then I would get glimpses of him and her in the thick brush. 5 min go buy and all goes quiet. I decided to rattle and possibly bring him out. Instead the little 5 point comes stomping up out of the valley and I stopped him in a shooting lane at 32 yards. 4 blade muzzy did the rest. He went about 60 yards.

I haven't caught up to the big guy yet, but he is still out there as of the first. I need to go grab my card and check to see if he is still making rounds.

I spent opening day at JP and had a fabulous hunt for Public land. Only two other hunters, I walked close to 3 miles, saw three different bucks, passed a small 6 point and took a hail mary at a big buck ( 44mag is not well suited for 200 yards shots).

I haven't caught up to the big guy I saw during bow, but he was still alive as of the 1st.

10pt.jpg

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rohan7
Back