Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

I'm terrible at field judging. Just curious if you guys think any of these bucks pass the 70" mark.

I’m no expert, but I’ve shot a few bucks that scored right around 70”. All of those bucks look like they’d be right in that size range (70”+/-).
I like buck 8 or 9 the best. I’d go for buck 2 if his left side matched his right.

Which one do you think is high 70s?
It is hard to tell without a frontal or straight back pic, but looks as if #9 might push 77-78" if he has "round" and not "flat" bases. His length and deep hooks will help him, but he is a bit week on mass in his uppers. I have killed some comparable in the mid 70's (green). They all will probably shrink an inch more during the 60 dry period.
Regardless, if they have that pretty heart shape, decent cutters at or above the ears and a little mass I am shooting, then on to chasing elk and mule deer. Ivory tips are a bonus for me too. They are beautiful animals... and delicious!
Of course, I could be wrong on all accounts, except for the delicious part, lol.

Seriously making me wish I had a pronghorn tag this year! I like 5, but I'd shoot anyone of these in a heartbeat! Going to go count my pronghorn points now and see if I have enough to chase anything good next year...

Buck 8 has the mass buck 9 wants. Might surprise you on score for 8 but 9 has the length to break 70.
Those two were hanging together and I liked both. #8 has everything except length below his prong. Great top/bottom mass, great prong and good hooks on top - just kills me how short he is.

I’m no expert, but I’ve shot a few bucks that scored right around 70”. All of those bucks look like they’d be right in that size range (70”+/-).
I like buck 8 or 9 the best. I’d go for buck 2 if his left side matched his right.
I really like #2 as well. I couldn't tell what happened on his left side, I'm not sure if he broke his prong off (not likely as it's only july?) or he just grows weird.

I also found this freak buck. My general rule is never pass a up a freak buck, but in this unit I may have to make an exception.
t5z1EH7.jpg

Nice bucks! I’m also terrible at judging size from a distance but really enjoyed the pics.

I'm kind of hoping you're scouting my area I drew in Wyoming for me! 😁. Honestly I think most of those bucks are around that 70s mark. Pick the one you like and take it. 1st day for me I'm not shooting under 90. 2nd day 67 5/8 or better... cause my wife shot one that big and we're mildly competitive.

I’m terrible at judging anything’s antlers or horns. Score doesn’t mean anything to me, although I do find big or weird to be interesting. I’d shoot any of those, but the ones with wider spreads are more impressive to me, even though spread isn’t part of the scoring equation.

Personally I think wide bucks are not that uncommon and he looks shorter to me but need another angle.
I think #9 will go over 15 inches based on ear to total length.
8's mass makes his prongs look shorts but they would surprise you I bet.

Nice pics by the way.

I would be tickled to be able to shoot a buck like either 4 or 9 this fall. But I won't be in what's considered a "top end" unit.

Mass, mass & more mass! If it's heavy, don't worry too much about length. Mass makes up for lack of length before length makes up for lack of mass, if that makes sense? Look over as many bucks as you can & then go back to what you felt were the top 2 or 3 bucks. VERY tough critters to field judge. Buck #4 looks pretty good. Good luck.

#5 looks like he is big size-wise, which might make his horns look smaller than they are.

I'd be happy to find a buck like 8 or 9 as well this fall.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back