Yeti GOBOX Collection

Illinois gun season

Today is starting out the same way. Chilly, breezy and quiet. Hit the shower last night and collapsed in bed without eating. ATV decided that it was going to be difficult yesterday and I wore my old ass out dealing with it. Finally gave up with the buck winched damn near to the top of the ravine but not quite. I enlisted my buddy's strapping young boy to help me haul it up and out to where I could get the truck. My jet sled helped but it was still a pretty good climb up and out of there in the dark. You guys that cut things into pieces have it easy! I'll give it a few hours and then try to get the wheeler out once it warms up a bit. Still no squirrels...

I'm having issues with my ATV even though I keep a trickle charger on it. Saw quite a few bucks today, not huge but decent. Shot one around 3pm today and will post some pics later. I heard him crash so dont think it will be much to find him.

Tried to start my wheeler but it didn't want to cooperate. Decided to just go and get a new battery and see if it would fire with the faster cranking. Packed my stuff and went to town. Got it hooked up, hopped on, had my escape route planned and hit the start button. IT LIVES! Got turned around without tipping it down Into the ravine and headed out. Starts to cut out between 35 and 40 but it runs.

Got the buck skinned out and in pieces so I can work on it at night. LOTS of fat around the tenderloins but not very much on the hindquarters. Got a few pounds ready for grinding tomorrow for whatever the wife wants to make with it. Heading back out in the morning and I need some sleep!

Day 6 of 10. Low 20s and just a breath of wind this morning. Starting to feel it today. Stiff muscles, bruised a finger somehow, needing a good nap! Guess I shouldn't complain. Got some meat for the freezer, and guys like diamond hitch are going for miles every day cutting trees out of the way! Just heard something moving. Better start paying attention.

20201204_175815.jpg
Here is the buck I shot yesterday afternoon. Deer were really moving this morning.

Guess I had better get caught up. The movement I heard yesterday was several deer. The local doe and fawns had gone through across the ravine from me and went into the neighbor's meadow under some power lines. Pretty quick, they turned back and hustled the way they came from. A small buck was coming behind them. Wasn't quite ready to pop him after the excursion Thursday. I think there was another buck following but the sun was right behind them with a little bit of a hazy fog making glassing tough. Pretty quiet after that and I decided to head home early and get a start processing the buck I had waiting for me. I decided I needed a break and stayed home today to run a couple errands and get more meat done. Got quite a bit trimmed, packaged and in the freezer before the youngest daughter came over to partake in some fresh tenderloins wrapped in bacon and grilled. Friday starts the last weekend for muzzleloader season. 3 more days to fill another tag. If I can't, I hope I can find a place to hunt the late season antlerless only and get one or two. Even after taking today off my calves are still sore from the climbing I had to do. Yup, flatlander! ;)

I had to work Thurs. and Fri. Hit it Sat. and Sun. with no luck and, again, very little shooting. Talked to friends in other parts of the state who reported the same. Had one doe wander through Saturday afternoon.

My tags are good for ML season so hopefully bad weather this weekend will help.

I ended up shooting a doe on saturday afternoon. Had a bruiser 10 pt come by at 30 yards, biggest deer I have seen in a few years. I was already bucked out for the year so just shot him with my cell phone. Pics turned out like crap so wont bother to post. I spent sunday morning skinning and deboning and was outside from 7am to 9am and never heard a shot.

I had to work Thurs. and Fri. Hit it Sat. and Sun. with no luck and, again, very little shooting. Talked to friends in other parts of the state who reported the same. Had one doe wander through Saturday afternoon.

My tags are good for ML season so hopefully bad weather this weekend will help.
Are those landowner tags that allow you to do that?

Yeah the seasons are alittle different. I drew muzzy tags because everyone that hunts our farm and the farms around us draw shotgun tags. So atleast it gives me 3 days alone with no one else pushing deer around. The weather for 3rd season looks alittle wet. But with that and the forecasted wind direction it will be perfect for where i want to hunt. Going to try and get right next to the bedroom hes using.

Well, I have 3 days left. Last weekend for muzzleloader only. Supposed to start raining sometime tomorrow so maybe things will happen with the weather change. First one is all done being processed and in the freezer. Pretty good pile of meat from the big guy! Didn't think it was that big until I weighed a few roasts and they were heavier than normal. Must be getting old... 😉

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back