Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Illinois gun season

The whole weekend was really slow in Calhoun. My sister shot a small 8 point. I shot a decent 8 pointer on thursday afternoon the day before firearm season. I hunted the first 2 weeks of november and didnt see anything big enough. Only 55k deer were killed first season, which is down from the pathetic total of 57k from last year.

Where are you all at in illinois? My inlaws have some ground in pike county. The father and brother in law and wife hunted the first season. My father in law said it was the worst season hes seen in 40 years. I drew the muzzy tag so ill be up there this weekend and next to try and notch some tags. Anyone think it will be better the next 2 seasons?
Should be better but only because it couldn't get much worse.

Yeah we are just about a mile south of el dara. They have some family in pleasant hill, but im taking the trailer up to stay at the farm. Dont worry im taking every propane bottle i have!!

I have property really close to pleasant hill on the pike calhoun line. Forgot to mention I saw more yotes this year bow hunting than any year prior. Not sure why there has been such an explosion of them.

I gotcha. Thats kind of what im hearing from everyone on the yotes. In laws shot one too. Well if you see a white ford and big horse trailer dont hesitate to stop and say hi. Goodluck in the 2/3 seasons

Looks like another long day here in central Illinois. Only heard 2 shots this morning but I don't know how many folks made it out on a Thursday. Nice sunny day started off mid 20s and calm. I've seen 1 owl, 1 hawk and a few tweety birds. Not a single squirrel yet! Scratch that, one just ran around a tree. Appears to be feeling frisky chasing another one. Guess I'll keep my fingers warm and try to listen without napping.

I can’t imagine that there’s ever been a more beautiful weekend in Illinois in December to sit in a tree stand.
Besides the gale force winds the weather’s been amazing this fall!
Have fun!

Yeah i dont do cold very well. I wish i could pack a woodstove to my stand. I did just have 4 does and 1 nice 10 come through. He was on them pretty good. Im hoping we get alittle bit of the second rut this weekend.

2 hours into first weekend of firearm season and it's slow. Think I've heard 6 shots so far. Had a doe with 2 fawns feed through a bit ago but I have orders from the landowner to leave them alone and only shoot bucks. But he didn't say anything about shooting anything else!

I drew a full season Illinois firearm permit for JEPC, along with two special county park permits that will all rot in my pocket thanks to Covid-19. Got a serious case three weeks ago which laid me up, and now even healed I’m too weak and out of breath to climb a tree without my gear. So my season was like 4 days this year, and ended Nov. 9th

Last edited:
I have property really close to pleasant hill on the pike calhoun line. Forgot to mention I saw more yotes this year bow hunting than any year prior. Not sure why there has been such an explosion of them.
Is the palace still down that way? Used to frequent there in high school/early college a lot!

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ColtenGilbert
Back