Illinois gun season

Dave N

2 hours into first weekend of firearm season and it's slow. Think I've heard 6 shots so far. Had a doe with 2 fawns feed through a bit ago but I have orders from the landowner to leave them alone and only shoot bucks. But he didn't say anything about shooting anything else!

20201120_074322.jpg

Squirrels have even gone away! Only saw the 3 deer so far as well as 3 coyotes. Couldn't get a shot at the other two. VERY little shooting around me. It's normally fairly noisy being all private property around here. I'll hang out for a while longer and try it again tomorrow.

No love for me yet. No more deer sightings this afternoon. Unless you count the 10 I saw on my drive home! Hopefully the rain will stay south and stay dry tomorrow. Seemed real strange with the lack of shooting. On top of that, only one person shot more than once. Usually it's funny how many folks empty their gun! Hope the rest of you Illinois guys have some success.

Today is cooler than yesterday, upper 30s, hoping that will move deer a little more. Heard a couple shots from the neighboring properties but not many. Had some turkeys over the ridge but never came my way. Just me and my friends the squirrels so far. You know, the ones with the giant feet that need to stomp on EVERY SINGLE LEAF they can find! TWICE! 🤬 Hopefully the shooting and guys hauling out their deer will push the others my way! It seems to have picked up while I was writing this. Time to watch.

Today is cooler than yesterday, upper 30s, hoping that will move deer a little more. Heard a couple shots from the neighboring properties but not many. Had some turkeys over the ridge but never came my way. Just me and my friends the squirrels so far. You know, the ones with the giant feet that need to stomp on EVERY SINGLE LEAF they can find! TWICE! 🤬 Hopefully the shooting and guys hauling out their deer will push the others my way! It seems to have picked up while I was writing this. Time to watch.
LOL Seems like the squirrels like to kick the leaves along after stomping them. Their cousins (chipmunks) make just as much noise. Glad they don't get as big as the fox squirrels. :)

The squirrels are apparently saving up for the big dance later and taking a nap. I could do the same thing! Haven't seen a single deer today. Maybe the next door neighbor shot it. Heard him shoot then I saw him walking around through the trees. One more shot to finish it off apparently. Other than that, I'm just flattening out my butt cheeks waiting. I'll probably see plenty in the fields on my way home tonight...

At least we dont have hurricane winds that we've had the last few days. Couldn't ask for better weather this weekend.

Yeah, no deer seen today while hunting but kicked 2 out of the ditch on the way home. Try again tomorrow then wait 2 weeks.

Your not the only one... I was the only one to see a deer this weekend and shot her, a nice doe. My hunting party of 6 including myself haven seen anything else except the one I shot. Brown county IL

Your not the only one... I was the only one to see a deer this weekend and shot her, a nice doe. My hunting party of 6 including myself haven seen anything else except the one I shot. Brown county IL
Have some friends hunting in brown. One of their kids killed his first buck today, a 130 class 8 pointer. I usually make it down there to play cards and drink cheap beer while they hunt, but not this year.

You don't like spending $400 for a nonresident deer tag? 😄
😂 i just enjoy the deer camp life! Cook meals for the hunters, keep the wood stove stoked, play cards, and mix drinks. I have killed a few nice bucks on their property, but now I just enjoy camp! I get a lot of enjoyment out of seeing and helping other people hunt. And, I live in Iowa. An Illinois nonresident tag is cheap compared to Iowa. 😂

38 degrees, damp and a light mist/rain falling. Actually starting to pick up a little bit now. I have my Gunbrella set up so whatever I can keep tucked under it is staying dry. One nosy squirrel didn't care for it too much! Saw 3 on my way here and no shots heard yet. It's a steady light rain now. Going to be a long day here in Putnam county.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
believeinyourself
Back