Illinois gun season

Good news is the rain stopped. Bad news is I spotted a young buck heading my way but it spotted me too! Never spooked him, he eventually turned and walked away. Stayed on the wrong side of the fence line from me. I took my Gunbrella down and propped it up like a blind now in case something comes from that direction again. At least I saw one!

Not sure where you are but the orange army comes in thick around me! Luckily I tagged one early and then another on Nov. 3. Now I'm just sipping coffee and hanging out with my daughter waiting for some snow to kill a couple of does

Several hours now since the last shot. It was about 200 yards east of me across the power lines. Property to my south I heard an ATV running apparently to collect one shot earlier this morning. A couple stray squirrels here and there in the sunshine. Think I'm about ready to call it for the weekend.

Several hours now since the last shot. It was about 200 yards east of me across the power lines. Property to my south I heard an ATV running apparently to collect one shot earlier this morning. A couple stray squirrels here and there in the sunshine. Think I'm about ready to call it for the weekend.
Stick it out 6 5 more hours. Easy for me to say as I sit next to the woodstove.

Nope, didn't make it. The deciding factor was when yet ANOTHER coyote came trotting through right in the middle of the best spot I watch over. I barked and stopped it, but it stopped behind a tree so no shot. They're just NUTS this year. At least the one I shot was a female. No pups from her anymore! I figured I had sat on my ass long enough for the weekend and needed to just go home, clean up, and relax. Just texting with the landowner and still a no-go on shooting does. 😞

Is there a rifle season in So. Illinois? I live on the West Coast but have family property in So. Illinois that’s apparently loaded with deer. Been there a handful of times but haven’t been able to make it during any hunting season.

Is there a rifle season in So. Illinois? I live on the West Coast but have family property in So. Illinois that’s apparently loaded with deer. Been there a handful of times but haven’t been able to make it during any hunting season.
No rifle season in illinois. Slugs and muzzleloader only oh yah and handgun. Southern il probably has the highest deer densities in the state.

Just left a message with an old friend about letting me hunt on some of his property. Used to years ago before moving on. Thinking a change of scenery for the next 4 day season just might help. At least I could shoot some does!

I missed the opener Friday due to work and the fact that it was the wife’s birthday. I hunted Saturday and Sunday on public in West-Central IL. Pressure was significantly less than years past. I saw a good number of deer Saturday afternoon, including two big bucks that were 50 yards on the wrong side of the boundary and heard a mess of shooting coming from both private and on the public. This guy came cruising across the ridge face opposite me 8am Sunday and I was able to hang a tag on him. He had suffered an archery wound earlier in the year which had mostly healed.
F9C2BFC2-AA64-475D-92E8-05229ACF5CA9.jpeg63E9D7E8-F431-40A0-8E52-14A1C2BABF41.jpeg

Just saw the harvest numbers for the first weekend. My county was at 207 deer killed compared to 250 last year. I'll try to pick those numbers up next weekend!

Where are you all at in illinois? My inlaws have some ground in pike county. The father and brother in law and wife hunted the first season. My father in law said it was the worst season hes seen in 40 years. I drew the muzzy tag so ill be up there this weekend and next to try and notch some tags. Anyone think it will be better the next 2 seasons?

I hunted Clay County a few years running as a boy and again once several years ago in my early twenties. I actually killed my first several deer there and took a good buck once too. Lots of fond memories of hunting up there! Good luck on the next few seasons, hope you get a crack at a good one.

Back