Illinois gun ban ruled "constitutional".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Only 10-15% of guns used in crime are stolen.
Only? How high do you want it to be before it becomes a problem? I would argue that number is low because if you have a gun stolen you don't have to report it to authorities. Sometimes the only way it gets labeled as stolen is it is recovered in a crime and authorities trace it back to the legal purchase and that person says "it was stolen from me last year." It highlights the tracking problem, which we can't agree on the constitutionality of.

Honestly, if gun owners wanted to do one simple thing that we all could agree on that would help prevent gun violence, it would be to safely store the firearm. The stats on gun theft are alarming. (maybe so alarming that I question if "theft" should be in quotes, but whatever.)

I would imagine everyone would agree guns should be safely stored but that seems like a different topic. You can't store or lock up what your banned from owning.

See this is why the gun conversation gets dumb, I would love someone to cite one case, ever, where any police force has knocked on a door about a gun.

Sure people get a charge in addition to other crimes, but no one has ever period, had police get a warrant for safe storage, gun registration, FFL transfer etc.

Again yes people have been prosecuted for those kind of gun crimes but, no where ever have police knocked on a door because you didn’t register your hand-me-downs guns serial.
I feel like there was some stuff that happened in the early 90’s over some minor firearms violations. Maybe not over serial numbers, but pretty minor stuff.

Here me out…

There has been an insane increase in first time gun owners, none of whom have to have any training to own a gun…and people are calling folks nazis if they are skeptical about it…public gun ranges are shit shows, tons of shooter trash on public land… and then all the gun violence stuff…

Feels like we are 3R’ing shooting sports…

I think we need a Matt Rinella of shooting… shoot quietly.
*Hear . . .

Only? How high do you want it to be before it becomes a problem? I would argue that number is low because if you have a gun stolen you don't have to report it to authorities. Sometimes the only way it gets labeled as stolen is it is recovered in a crime and authorities trace it back to the legal purchase and that person says "it was stolen from me last year." It highlights the tracking problem, which we can't agree on the constitutionality of.

I believe The statistic is based on interviewing criminals. Straw purchases are a huge problem, you ready to start throwing naive family members stupid girlfriends in jail? Who’s gonna raise the stupid girlfriends kids? The system? Ahh yes more customers for the for profit prison system that’s not in the business of rehabilitating its future customers. 71% will reoffend. It’s a Great business model. How often you think those straw purchase are prosecuted? Almost never, and much of the time that’s the link between the legal purchase and the criminal obtaining the gun. Police already know this, they don’t need the tracking to figure it out.

I know a guy who’s been three striked twice, he’s younger than me, I’m 43, and he’s out there free as a bee right now. You expect me to believe another law is gonna keep him from obtaining a firearm? That’s stupidity.

I believe The statistic is based on interviewing criminals. Straw purchases are a huge problem, you ready to start throwing naive family members stupid girlfriends in jail? Who’s gonna raise the stupid girlfriends kids? The system? Ahh yes more customers for the for profit prison system that’s not in the business of rehabilitating its future customers. 71% will reoffend. It’s a Great business model. How often you think those straw purchase are prosecuted? Almost never, and much of the time that’s the link between the legal purchase and the criminal obtaining the gun. Police already know this, they don’t need the tracking to figure it out.

I know a guy who’s been three striked twice, he’s younger than me, I’m 43, and he’s out there free as a bee right now. You expect me to believe another law is gonna keep him from obtaining a firearm? That’s stupidity.
Is his name Hunter Biden? 😂
Seriously, I get it and don’t disagree with a lot of arguments. My point is there are no easy solutions and any partial solution isn’t going to be free. The entire system is stretched. In Illinois, it is stretched and broke due to decades of fiscal mismanagement.

I think having mandatory licensing cuts down on that dramatically, not many girlfriends are going to sit through a class, get fingerprinted, pay a fee and fill out an application to get a license just to buy a gun for their beau (MA system).

I think a lot of the gun laws proposed have logical underpinnings, that have nothing to do with the rise of the 4th Reich.

Now there are flaws in some of these laws and major implementation issues and those should be discussed, but seems like 90% of the time the debate here and elsewhere turns into tinfoil hat shenanigans, and anyone pointing that out gets called a commie.

In the case of MA having NH and it’s permissive laws a 30min drive from Boston really screws up the whole thing lol

I don't think anyone is against having to pay their fair share...just tired of paying more than their fair share for absolutely zero in return.
Get the bill to fund the state pension system and then we can talk about “fair”. You will find the idea of “lock up all the criminals” and even “hire more cops” is financially ridiculous. To be clear though, in terms of gun violence on a per capita basis, Illinois isn’t bad at all. There are a lot of states with worse numbers that are as politically red as the day is long. No one has come up with any solutions to that problem.

That’s not exactly what this is about. We have discussed this at length before on HT. LE in Illinois has had a hard time tracking how guns get from legal ownership to criminal hands because there is no registration. You have to read through the UofC project on the topic. We all understand criminals don’t follow laws, but having law abiding citizens follow laws help refine the process for LE. For example, if tracking showed that 20% of the guns used in crimes in Chicago came from a specific dealer in, let’s say, Mississippi, that might help lead to action to cut supply chains. Guns and drugs are no different to a criminal. The 2A just lets them run free and clear without impunity.
If LE in Illinois has trouble tracking firearms they shouldn’t be in LE. If you believe this is the main focus of this overstep you are part of the the problem! It won’t change anything in cites such as Chicago. And the politicians don’t have the stomach for what would actually make a change in Chicago so they will just continue to infringe on law-abiding citizens, ability and access to own firearms.

You will find the idea of “lock up all the criminals” and even “hire more cops” is financially ridiculous.
Never said that was the answer either...however your the one always preaching that no one wants to pay there share..
To be clear though, in terms of gun violence on a per capita basis, Illinois isn’t bad at all. There are a lot of states with worse numbers that are as politically red as the day is long
I don't necessarily think it's as simple as a red vs blue thing. However your not helping your case if that's the comparison you want to make considering the wide majority of crime comes from three awfully blue areas of the state...

Maybe if State AND Federal idiots would take the money they spend on useless crap and put it to work actually doing some good, whether the naysayers like it or not, it may help reduce some of the bad crap going on PLUS set an example that some may learn from that things are going to change. We'll never know.

Never said that was the answer either...however your the one always preaching that no one wants to pay there share..

I don't necessarily think it's as simple as a red vs blue thing. However your not helping your case if that's the comparison you want to make considering the wide majority of crime comes from three awfully blue areas of the state...
It’s not red vs blue. It’s just normal problems that happen in urban areas. It doesn’t matter who is in charge. And I would agree that throwing money at it hasn’t helped.

Here me out…

There has been an insane increase in first time gun owners, none of whom have to have any training to own a gun…and people are calling folks nazis if they are skeptical about it…public gun ranges are shit shows, tons of shooter trash on public land… and then all the gun violence stuff…

Feels like we are 3R’ing shooting sports…

I think we need a Matt Rinella of shooting… shoot quietly.
Serious question. Do you think the huge uptick in first time gun owners is related more to shooting sports or more to people feeling unsafe and wanting a way to protect themselves?

Serious question. Do you think the huge uptick in first time gun owners is related more to shooting sports or more to people feeling unsafe and wanting a way to protect themselves?
Probably both, but I don’t think it’s “shooting sports” as in folks getting into 3 gun competitions, as much as 22 year olds who played too much call of duty buying an AR to shoot up appliances.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back