Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Illinois deer season

Good decision. The weather was brutal today. A lot of guys slept in and didn’t hunt this morning where I was camping and hunting. Good luck tomorrow!
It's STILL roaring outside! Hopefully it will die down soon and let things move around in the morning. From the posts it looks like the bucks were cruising anyway. A friend from work got a nice 10 point this morning. Having one hanging made it a lot easier to roll over today! For the small place I have to hunt it's going to be iffy to even see a doe now that it's my only choice. Plus get back home before noon! Fingers crossed.

Just for my curiosity, who's toting muzzelloaders and who's toting shotguns? Nick I see you said muzzy, what about your step son?
Step son is using my Browning gold slug gun. Next year we go to straight walled centrrfire and 45-70 will be on my radar. Trying to find the right slugs has been a pain in the ass last few years and gotten very expensive. Lever gun most likely.

I got lucky at last light on public. Only deer I saw from the stand today.View attachment 250959
@nick87 and @DouglasR, you guys kill the big one yet? Tomorrow is supposed to be even windier than today.
I never seem to be able to get more than one day off in a row anymore which eliminates my evening hunts because I don’t have time to blood trail and lord knows I can’t get my sorry sack of bones out of bed in time for a morning hunt so tomorrow I’m getting the new .22 out and I’m hunting squirrels.
Hard.
I’m looking for 5! 🐿

Jealousy was a stinky cologne in deer camp. I had a great hunt but I’m over it for this year.

Is it trapping/bowfishing season yet?

He was a ittle upset with both the top buck being smaller than he thought.(he knew the spike was small when he shot it but was holding out for something bigger for the second buck). Tried to tell him he's too young too beat yourself up for that and should just have fun with what you shot. I'll say one thing though that kid can shoot 140 yards on each of them is pretty good with a slug gun in my book. Neither took another step.

Has been an odd couple weeks. I was on vacation the first two weeks of november and bowhunted every single morning and evening. I didn't see a buck older than 2.5 years. I blamed the record heat and full moon. I had to work this past Mon-Thu so just hunted mornings. Same thing, nothing big but at least cooler temps arrived. Saw plenty of deer during firearms season but nothing with any age to them, even the does. Not sure what's going on. I bet I didn't hear more than 10 shots all weekend. I have private ground in the "golden triangle". Things just aren't as good as they were 25 years ago.

Last edited:
Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
theghostbull
Back