Caribou Gear Tarp

Illinois deer season

Dave N

Cold and windy here opening morning. Right at shooting time had a coyote trot past me at 30 yards. Took care of the wife and said I would be home before noon. Maybe sooner if this wind keeps up. Very noisy here.

Well if I wasn't awake I would think I was dreaming. Just had a tiny racked buck peek it's head up out of a little ravine maybe 15 yards away! Had a staredown for a bit before it went off on the neighbor's property. No idea where he came from! Guess I need to pay more attention!

I’m freezing to death on public in west central Illinois today! Hoping a few of the big bucks I saw yesterday while archery hunting show again now that gun season in open. I didn’t hear nearly as much shooting this morning as I have years past. The wind is brutal today and supposed to be worse tomorrow. Those deer condo blinds with a heater make a lot more sense on a day like today.

The wind just kept rolling and the snow came as another kick in the ass. Sat and waited about half an hour in case a doe showed. Nope. Only heard 2 or 3 other shots. He actually ran TOWARDS the way out and dropped right on the path for my ATV and Jetsled! Gutted and now hanging in the shed. Not sure if it's the one from earlier but it's still not going to reduce the trophy potential in the area very much! I never was much for trophy hunting, just wanted the meat. All of my bucks were just what happened at the time.

Need to check the forecast and see if the wind dies tonight. I think it's supposed to be a bit colder and the wind sucks. Not sure how many does will be running around in the wind. I would be holed up somewhere unless a buck pushed me around. Going to be hard getting up and trying again tomorrow unless it calms down. BUT, I can't get one if I'm not out there. And we have no TV. Got "updated" receivers from DirecTV and they don't work, support is no help, and since I did the installation they want 99 bucks for a service call. Told them to piss off and cancel my account and I would go with Dish. Looks like they can't come out until Tuesday! Damn. May as well hunt.

I got lucky at last light on public. Only deer I saw from the stand today.View attachment 250959
@nick87 and @DouglasR, you guys kill the big one yet? Tomorrow is supposed to be even windier than today.
Nice job, nothing yet archery saw some great deer. Seemed to shutdown today had the 4 year old with me and missed a chip shot somehow with the muzzleloader if anyone needs it there's a good chance it'll be in the bottom of the Ohio River by noon tomorrow lol.

I got lucky at last light on public. Only deer I saw from the stand today.View attachment 250959
@nick87 and @DouglasR, you guys kill the big one yet? Tomorrow is supposed to be even windier than today.
Dude that’s awesome!
I’ve been super busy at work but I’m definitely hoping to get out for some late season action.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
theghostbull
Back