Illinois Bird

singleshot1

Went into this season knowing it was going to be a tough weekend between the weather and schedule. Saturday was going to be the only day my oldest daughter could hunt due to a softball tournament starting Saturday afternoon and going through Sunday.

Day 1. We got out early Saturday morning and had one located in the roost, we got set up and made a few soft calls and just like that he was within 20 yards. Because of the way we were set up i had a clear view of the bird the whole time but she didn't. I kept waiting for her to shoot but it never happened as she said she never had a clean view of him or a good shot. After trying to bring him back for awhile with no success we moved on only to have birds hang up out of range all day.

Day 2. I'm going solo Sunday as she wanted to sleep in to get some rest before the rest of her softball tournament. I had watched a flock go to roost Saturday night so i had a plan for this morning. I snuck in nice and close in the dark and got set up. About 6am i had 15 birds within 20 yards of me but the big boy I had my sights on was still in the tree. Once the guys on the ground started strutting their stuff he couldn't resist and flew down to within 7 yards of me. He might have gotten to 10 yards before i pulled the trigger after he saw me raise the gun but it didn't matter at that point, bird down.

Was in a hurry and didn't review the photos...hence the eyes closed
1.jpg

2.jpg

25-3/4lbs 12-1/4" beard 1" spurs

Last edited:
Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hamms12oz
Back